John Kavanaugh really is Irish Edmund?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In the first round, he just kept saying, ‘beautiful Conor beautiful!’ and this is when Conor got stuck in the clinch sapping his already bad cardio. That’s not where Conor does his best work.

Also recall when they walked to the cage, Conor extended himself and the Coach
got caught off guard and gave him an awkward hug.

I mean, maybe it’s on Conor that he can’t be coached. But the entire team looks like a bunch of yes men.

Conor is done that dude is too rich he don’t got that chip on his shoulder like he once had, oh and also he’ll never have good cardio lol.

In the first round, he just kept saying, ‘beautiful Conor beautiful!’

NmJF3hg.gif

Yeah, Saturday was not a good night for Kavanaugh. I don’t think he said a word about the leg kicks. Just said beautiful.

I used to push back against this “Irish Edmund” criticism but it’s hard to argue with it after that. Definitely a bunch of yes men, as you put it.

For all intents and purposes, Kavanagh is just a cheerleader. It is ridiculous that he often talks about striking when giving interviews, given that his background is BJJ and he was absolutely worthless at striking when he competed in MMA. The fact that Conor's grappling skills are average at best for a UFC fighter despite training for over 13 years under Kavanagh's tutelage calls into question his ability as a BJJ coach.

In the first round, he just kept saying, ‘beautiful Conor beautiful!’ and this is when Conor got stuck in the clinch sapping his already bad cardio. That’s not where Conor does his best work.

Also recall when they walked to the cage, Conor extended himself and the Coach
got caught off guard and gave him an awkward hug.

I mean, maybe it’s on Conor that he can’t be coached. But the entire team looks like a bunch of yes men.

Conor is done that dude is too rich he don’t got that chip on his shoulder like he once had, oh and also he’ll never have good cardio lol.
Conor got to his skill level on his own, that's why his combos aren't being done by other SBG fighters but him. It's not combos they are teaching their students there. Or the kicks that he used to do. Yes they helped, but it's not like those are their techniques they are teaching Conor. They help with his game planning and pad work and analyze his sparring sessions. Seems like they don't have strategy/tactics for their opponents and they have nothing to switch to when things go bad. Seems like their analytical skills are not up to par vs the level of competition they are facing.

It's not hard to understand Dustin's strengths vs Conor, it seemed like they were not prepared at all for Dustin's combinations in the pocket. Once he started teeing off Conor had no response. So that means nothing was worked on for that situation. It's bad planning/training from his team. Dustin is obviously strong in the pocket and throws long combinations while shifting stances and it didn't seem like they had any offense/defense for that range and style of fighting. Also they had no planning for Dustin's right hook counter, which he uses a lot in all his fights. So for them to miss those details says a lot.

Not properly prepared, and not properly analyzing the fighters strengths, combos, patterns, timing, etc.

Conor got to his skill level on his own, that's why his combos aren't being done by other SBG fighters but him. It's not combos they are teaching their students there. Or the kicks that he used to do. Yes they helped, but it's not like those are their techniques they are teaching Conor. They help with his game planning and pad work and analyze his sparring sessions. Seems like they don't have strategy/tactics for their opponents and they have nothing to switch to when things go bad. Seems like their analytical skills are not up to par vs the level of competition they are facing.

It's not hard to understand Dustin's strengths vs Conor, it seemed like they were not prepared at all for Dustin's combinations in the pocket. Once he started teeing off Conor had no response. So that means nothing was worked on for that situation. It's bad planning/training from his team. Dustin is obviously strong in the pocket and throws long combinations while shifting stances and it didn't seem like they had any offense/defense for that range and style of fighting. Also they had no planning for Dustin's right hook counter, which he uses a lot in all his fights. So for them to miss those details says a lot.

Not properly prepared, and not properly analyzing the fighters strengths, combos, patterns, timing, etc.
Conor's solution was simple. Stick and move, circle off the cage and keep the fight at distance. That's his fight. Not far from what his strategy would be against Diaz.

After that last unchecked calf kick, his movement and ability to do that became nonexistent. Dustin knew it, smelled blood and chose that moment to unleash a barrage of combinations against the cage.

He was actually moving his head and slipping the strikes pretty well during the barrage but he wasn't moving his feet at all. Those calf kicks destroyed his mobility and by extension, crippled his normal defense, ability to circle out and keep the fight at his most ideal range.

I did pick Conor prior to the fight, but I also said if Dustin were to have success it would be at the middle / close range. His inside game has gotten really scary in the last few years.

Theres no way his camp weren't aware of this and didnt prepare for it. But, essentially his main defense for preventing such a situation was taken away. Which is his movement, feet, mobility.

Conor isnt that good on the inside. If you're standing still, you can only move your head and slip for so long before you get caught and put down. Especially with the kind of heat Dustin was throwing.

Last edited:
For sure there are parallels, but let’s be real: Conor developed into a great male MMA star under Kavanaugh with a well rounded game. Big Rawnda simply used her already-existing judo skills and nothing else to beat mostly terrible-to-fair WMMA fighters.

Edmond , Zahabi, Kavanaugh...................three kings

To the TS - Khabib grapple fucked him for 2 rounds. I doubt they were concerned about a little bit of wrestling and clinching. It would be silly to assume that they wouldnt expect it and prepare for it on some level in every fight.

Not sure why people think the little bit of clinching they did played any sort of factor. He didnt gas.

Conor won the first round and looked fresh between rounds.

I like to bag on SBG too, but that was nothing like the absurdity of Edmond's corner advice during Rousey/Holm.

This is a 5 round fight. Whether he won that first round or not, the fight did not play out the way he wanted to. He was stuck in that clinch for long periods and if I’m Dustin and his corner, we’re HAPPY with the way that went even if you had given up that first round.

Conor's solution was simple. Stick and move, circle off the cage and keep the fight at distance. That's his fight.

After that last unchecked calf kick, his movement and ability to do that became nonexistent. Dustin knew it, smelled blood and chose that moment to unleash a barrage of combinations against the cage.

He was actually moving his head and slipping the strikes pretty well during the barrage but he wasn't moving his feet at all. Those calf kicks destroyed his mobility and by extension, crippled his normal defense and ability to keep the fight at his most ideal range.

I did pick Conor prior to the fight, but I also said if Dustin were to have success it would be at the middle / close range. His inside game has gotten really scary in the last few years.

Theres no way his camp weren't aware of this and didnt prepare for it. But, essentially his main defense for preventing such a situation was taken away. Which is his movement, feet, mobility.

Conor isnt that good on the inside. If you're standing still, you can only move your head and slip for so long before you get caught and put down. Especially with the kind of heat Dustin was throwing.
No Conor was desperate in round 2 and not trying to keep distance, he kept trying to go for the KO and chase down Dustin, Dustin was keeping distance and countering Conor in round 2. You don't try to slip punches on the inside, especially a combination style inside fighter like Dustin. You slip from mid range and long range. It just shows a lack of understanding and preparation of inside fighting from their team. You are not going to be able to slip a 5+ combination inside the pocket.

They were not prepared for Dustin's combinations even though there is a lot of tape on it. Shows lack of understanding in terms of Dustin's strengths, patterns, timing, combinations, fighting style, etc.

Conor was stationary even before the calf kicks, it just made him not be able to jump in for his 1-2. Conor's new stance is stationary, flat footed, and slow. He beat Dustin before because he was bouncing in and out and jumping back out of range and countering. Ever since the Mayweather fight he switched to a style where he tries to walk fighters down because Mayweather walked him down with that style. It doesn't fit his striking style because his main weapon is straight left from long or mid range. You need a strong hook game, and inside boxing game in order to use that style. Plus body shots. Something Conor also doesn't throw. So that is just a lack of understanding about using that stance/style that his trainers/coaches are just not aware of.

Conor does not have a well rounded game....his wrestling is of the panic variety and his jujitsu is less effective than the punch he threw at the old duffer who was just minding his own business.

No Conor was desperate in round 2 and not trying to keep distance, he kept trying to go for the KO and chase down Dustin, Dustin was keeping distance and countering Conor in round 2. You don't try to slip punches on the inside, especially a combination style inside fighter like Dustin. You slip from mid range and long range. It just shows a lack of understanding and preparation of inside fighting from their team. You are not going to be able to slip a 5+ combination inside the pocket.

They were not prepared for Dustin's combinations even though there is a lot of tape on it. Shows lack of understanding in terms of Dustin's strengths, patterns, timing, combinations, fighting style, etc.

Conor was stationary even before the calf kicks, it just made him not be able to jump in for his 1-2. Conor's new stance is stationary, flat footed, and slow. He beat Dustin before because he was bouncing in and out and jumping back out of range and countering. Ever since the Mayweather fight he switched to a style where he tries to walk fighters down because Mayweather walked him down with that style. It doesn't fit his striking style because his main weapon is straight left from long or mid range. You need a strong hook game, and inside boxing game in order to use that style. Plus body shots. Something Conor also doesn't throw. So that is just a lack of understanding about using that stance/style that his trainers/coaches are just not aware of.
You should read my post again more carefully.

His mobility was gone dude. The defense Conor has against an inside fighter is to move his feet and circle off the cage. He's not the style of fighter who does well on the inside and he shouldn't be there in the first place.

Not unlike what his strategy would be against someone like Nate, his best defense is to move his feet, circle off the cage and keep the fight at distance where he holds the advantage.

Those calf kicks were slowly building up and you could see his movement become subtly more sluggish over time. That final one was the straw that broke the camels back.

At that point, all he had left was his head movement, reflexes and slips to defend, but he wasnt moving his feet at all.

Even I was aware that Dustin was strongest at the middle / close range and if he were to have success, it would be there. Silly to assume that a camp on that level were ignorant and unprepared.

The issue is that his main line of defense was taken away from him. His mobility. Everything he could've done was crippled.

I don't think he has the same sort of mobility and fluidity on the feet that he once did, but I dont think the difference is as huge as you're making it out to be. His stance was more akin to what we seen against Alvarez than a boxing stance.

After that latest interview with Ariel, I'm starting to wonder...

You should read my post again more carefully.

His mobility was gone dude. The defense Conor has against an inside fighter is to move his feet and circle off the cage. He's not the style of fighter who does well on the inside and he shouldn't be there in the first place.

Not unlike what his strategy would be against someone like Nate, his best defense is to move his feet, circle off the cage and keep the fight at distance where he holds the advantage.

Those calf kicks were slowly building up and you could see his movement become subtly more sluggish over time. That final one was the straw that broke the camels back.

At that point, all he had left was his head movement, reflexes and slips to defend, but he wasnt moving his feet at all.

Even I was aware that Dustin was strongest at the middle / close range and if he were to have success, it would be there. Silly to assume that a camp on that level were ignorant and unprepared.

The issue is that his main line of defense was taken away from him. His mobility. Everything he could've done was crippled.

I don't think he has the same sort of mobility and fluidity on the feet that he once did, but I dont think the difference is as huge as you're making it out to be. His stance was more akin to what we seen against Alvarez than a boxing stance.
I read your post, but you are comparing old Conor to new Conor. He didn't use any mobility in this fight. He was always stationary even before the calf kicks. That's the point I'm making, the calf kicks did damage, but it wasn't the reason he was getting hit. He was getting hit because he stopped using his movement is stationary and tries to walk down fighters. His only movement in this fight was moving forward towards Dustin, it was Dustin that was moving back and timing Conor. So the calf kicks only affected Conor in jumping in to throw his 1-2 in the second round. It wasn't what was preventing him from getting hit from the right hook counters that Dustin was throwing since the first round.

Once Dustin got in the inside Conor used his usual defense where he tries to roll with the punches but that doesn't work at that range vs Dustin who throws long combinations in the pocket. He was basically a punching bag. Same kind of defense that Kattar used vs Max. They just try to cover up to wait for the combo to end, you can't do that to combination strikers because they will just unload on you since you are not firing back.

That's what I mean by his team not having proper awareness of Dustin's strengths. They didn't have anything for it in the fight. If Conor drilled for that situation leading up to the fight he would've did it instinctively at that point because it would've been muscle memory. Not training a proper defense for Dustin's inside boxing game is clear way to tell they were not properly analyzing the fight. Look at how many unanswered shots Dustin got in and how completely open he was. He was not prepared for that style of fight and combinations. That's his team's fault and he needs new trainers. His career will end up like Ronda's if he chooses to do what Ronda did when it comes to their training/team.

Dustin isn't some guy they have no tape on and have no idea how he fights. He has been fighting the same style of fight in all his recent fights.

Basically everything was great but Dustin was even greater from JKs perspective - the opposite of what CM claimed before the fight then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back