How far could edson have gone with better wrestling

bjpenngoat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Honestly his tdd is some of.the best i have ever seen. He has great balance and a fanastic.sprawl but obviously he isnt a wrestler and didnt take guys down. If he had that ability and his ability on the feet could.he have been a champ? His stand up is just so.nasty its a shame he has not.gone further in the sport than he has. Im a HUGE fan of the guy.

Hm.. i think he'd still get beat by the likes of Gaethje and Khabib, but it surely wouldn't have hurt him.

I think he'd have benefitted way more from having better defensive footwork and striking under pressure/on the backfoot though.

Hm.. i think he'd still get beat by the likes of Gaethje and Khabib, but it surely wouldn't have hurt him.

I think he'd have benefitted way more from having better defensive footwork and striking under pressure/on the backfoot though.

Yeah, his entire issue was to do with his lack of comfort when someone constantly pressured forward against him, anytime he fights someone who's good at applying consistent forward pressure he's in trouble, a bit like Pettis.

If he didn't have a sensitive chin he would've done better

Better wrestling and defensive footwork would have certainly helped but I think he needed more power in his hands, as well. Everyone knows that Barboza is at his best in kicking range. It's just too easy to take that from him. Better defensive wrestling and footwork will keep him standing but guys will still crowd him. If he had a bit more sting in his punches maybe guys might give him more room.

I'm a fan but I always felt his biggest weakness was cardio. He's a muscular explosive guy who tends to gas in 2 rounds. If he doesn't cripple his opponent early on there's a good chance he folds.

His wrestling was definitely not his biggest weakness, he had the highest TDD at LW for a long time. His cardio and not being able to fight as well on the back foot was his biggest problem.

I'm a fan but I always felt his biggest weakness was cardio. He's a muscular explosive guy who tends to gas in 2 rounds. If he doesn't cripple his opponent early on there's a good chance he folds.
That and he seems somewhat weak mentally. If you pressure him whether it be with striking or wrestling that also causes him to fold. He just doesn't have enough dog in him

What kind of question is this? it depends on how much better

i think he could have developed his bjj. pretty much like charles did. a guy with that kicking game with insane bjj would be freaking scray

Back