Conor Mcgregor and tapping.

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Had this thought today when I was smoking copious amounts of cannabis. Kind of interesting how Conor Mcgregor, sometimes known as “McTapper”, who has tapped to submissions 4 times in his career; is eager to tap to submissions, but would rather go out cold than tap to strikes. Now granted the Dustin KO happened pretty quickly, maybe Conor didn’t have time to consider tapping, but I feel like it’s something he wouldn’t do. So yeah I’ve never been a big fan, but there’s an actual reason to respect Conor. I consider GSP the goat, and even he tapped to Matt Serra punches. Did anyone else have this thought since UFC 257? Also any thoughts on why it’s so taboo to tap to strikes?

Against Nate, it was a TKO actually, everybody know that and Conor knows it.

I think most fighters consider tapping to strikes more 'cowardly' than tapping to a submission. Maybe that is why it's so rare. There is also more chance of coming back to win if you are not completely out from strikes, imo. With submissions, it's usually either tap or nap/snap.

Grasping straws if the rematch with Khabib ever happens, one clean gif of him connecting with a punch would be enough for you guys never mind winning.

If it was like in tekken or street fighter and that the fighter just stands around wobbling and it's your turn to do a special cool knockout combo, then I think people would tap out while standing there before he unleashes the special super cool knockout combo

Getting your head bashed in usually happens too quickly to tap to it.

Conor mentally quits and the wheels come off at record speeds, there’s just no time for him to tap before he crumbles and quits.

It's connected with his cardio issues imo. When he's already gasping for air and someone puts him in a chokehold he panics

It's only a taboo to people who're insecure and not so intelligent.
So most fighters are insecure and unintelligent? Because most fighters consider tapping to strikes taboo.

He did tap subconsciously while out cold. You missed the thread

So most fighters are insecure and unintelligent? Because most fighters consider tapping to strikes taboo.
In a way, yes - as arrogant as that sounds.

Unless you can defend yourself and get out of your position while being beat down, there's no reason not to tap other than proving how tough you are while unnecessarily sacrrificing brain cells.

EDIT: The better wording of the last sentence would be:
"[...] other than to prove how tough you are by voluntarily sacrificing your own brain cells to *possibly* get a little bit more recognition by other people."

Last edited:
with strikes to the head its difficult to tap cos you´re semi unconscious and it happens fast in most cases;
if it was punches or knees to the body I see McG tapping due to pain

Back