If you were in Dustins shoes, would you rather have a rematch vs Khabib or just have the belt?

rularn

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Whats better for Dustin
1) a rematch and possible beat the greatest LW of all time and get the REAL belt, with risk of loosing and never get the belt or
2) Get the belt, as Khabib stays retired.

Discuss.

If you have the chance to be possibly Khabib's last fight, you take it. Tough fight obviously but with a win comes big glory.

He's already lost to him and another loss isn't going to drop his stock much if at all. He's still in the same position.

Since Khabib has announced his retirement, he should not be holding on to the belt. If he can, Dustin should get the belt, and demand Khabib to come out and challenge for the belt. This way at least the division is not in limbo

I don't think he can beat Khabib, but that's obviously the fight to aim for if they can get it done.

Belt equals ppv points and leverage. You want the belt. We've already seen that Dustin has nothing for Khabib. Nothing has changed since he got completely mauled. Dustin's problem is two-fold: 1) he can't stop Khabib's takedowns, can't get up once taken down, and can't submit Khabib; and 2) Dustin doesn't have huge one-punch power, so his "puncher's chance" isn't all that great.

Take the belt.

Rematch Conor. Will most likely win and should be able to negotiate way more money. Dustin has earned the right to pick his next couple fights

After watching some post fight interviews after he won, it’s pretty clear he has no interest in a Khabib rematch, in fact he’s probably happier now that Khabib is probably retired for good. He has nothing for him to offer, their first fight wasn’t even close outside that desperate guillotine attempt.

If I’m Poirier I’m aiming for the trilogy with Conor, a Diaz fight or fight Oliveira for the belt.

Rematch for sure. Khabib will want to fight Chandler though if he comes back.

Dustin accepted the fact that he is #2. He is fighting for money now. He proved the world he is the second best. He wants his belt and his money.

The dude is right. Great fighter and person.

Dustin accepted the fact that he is #2. He proved the world he is the second best. He wants his belt and his money.

The dude is right. Great fighter and person.

I just like Chandler because he keeps mentioning Khabib.

dustin should have the belt right now

i'm sure khabib wanted to vacate after retiring too. but dana kept him the champion for marketing.... thinking he could make him come back.

dustin vs oliveira is fine too. i just feel bad for dustin if loses. like tony he has been so close so many times but never got gold

Makes no sense fighting Khabib, Poirer had nothing to offer Khabib and he would get stomped again if they fight. Better for Poirer to perhaps rematch McGregor or face Oliveira. Oliveira would be a fun fight, either Poirer knocks him out (very likely) or Oliveira lands some cool strikes, rocks Poirer and submits him.

Belt equals ppv points and leverage. You want the belt. We've already seen that Dustin has nothing for Khabib. Nothing has changed since he got completely mauled. Dustin's problem is two-fold: 1) he can't stop Khabib's takedowns, can't get up once taken down, and can't submit Khabib; and 2) Dustin doesn't have huge one-punch power, so his "puncher's chance" isn't all that great.

Take the belt.

You wrote a great message. I agree with a few parts.

Take the belt.

By the way, your message reminds me of those damn imbeciles (like Kellerman and Smith) that work at ESPN. It seems like they always call Poirier a Jiu-jitsu Fighter because he has a black belt in Jiu-jitsu.

I wonder what the mofos at ESPN would think of your message.

Kellerman: "Poirier has a black belt in Jiu-jitsu which means that he always has a chance of stopping Nurmagomedov."

We've already seen that Dustin has nothing for Khabib. Nothing has changed since he got completely mauled.

I disagree with this part. How many folks (outside of Poirier's immediate family and Poirier HIMSELF) thought that he would decapitate McGregor? I can't think of too many folks that believed in Poirier.

Poirier already decapitated McGregor which means that he can do it again.

McGregor already decapitated Poirier which means that McGregor can do it again.

With all that Poirier has accomplished, he definitely thinks that he can eliminate Nurmagomedov if he ever has another war against him.

If I'm Poirier I want the Khabib rematch more than anything on earth, bc if I beat him then I'm the best LW ever

Btw I believe Khabib easily beats him in a rematch

Does Poirier believe in himself to beat Khabib? That's what I wonder

Dustin poses no threat to Khabib as seen in the first fight. I'd like to see him face Oliveira for the vacant title assuming Khabib stays retired and if Oliveira makes it happen we can see a trilogy fight for Conor and Poirier.

Whats better for Dustin
1) a rematch and possible beat the greatest LW of all time and get the REAL belt, with risk of loosing and never get the belt or
2) Get the belt, as Khabib stays retired.

Discuss.
You're asking if I'm a fighter who just dominantly avenged an embarrassing loss, would I want to avenge another one?
Is this a serious question?

Anyway, Khabib is not coming back.

Poirier has become a mature man. He fights now to earn money to help his family and community, rather than for pride or glory. He would obviously make more money if he could just be the champion and avoid Khabib.

Last edited:
Take the opportunity and make the biggest money possible. Nate Diaz, then another Conor fight. Belt or no belt, he's got nothing to prove to anyone.

Back