It's Not Hard to Understand Why Dustin Doesn't Want Titleshot

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Dustin has really come a long way. He's made his mark as one of the best to compete at 155.

He's beaten almost everyone he needs to beat to cement his spot. But he knows that even if he captures the belt now and beats the current top guys, he'll never feel like the true champion knowing that there's another 155er in his generation that outclassed him so bad that he would not even consider a rematch.

So I agree with Dustin taking on some grudge matches/money fights like Conor and Nate. I'd like to see him at 170 but maybe he's trying to leave that to Masvidal.

I'd definitely like to see Poirier vs. Colby ASAP.

But yes that's just my stupid, not so humble, 2 cents worth of an opinion.

Dustin definitely wants to be champion. Obviously Khabib's retirement cheapens it somewhat

Because he will probably make more in a Conor rematch than he would in winning and defending 5 times. And it's not either/or if he wins he will definitely be next in line for the title after.

Because he will probably make more in a Conor rematch than he would in winning and defending 5 times. And it's not either/or if he wins he will definitely be next in line for the title after.

Yup he’s Prize fighter, and winning the belt might not guarantee you the highest monetary prize.

He definitely does want the belt. He just said the title fight shouldn't be vs Chandler, and he has sound reasoning behind that. In Dustin's mind (and most fans' minds), Dustin is the champ now with Khabib retired. The next fight involving him will absolutely be for the belt.

I think it’s solely about money. Telling broadcast booth you don’t like fighting anymore doesn’t really scream “wrap a title around me.”

dustin deserves all the money fights he wants. He’s stayed active. Fought everyone put in front of him.

I'm okay with him rematching Conor and fine with him beating the snot out of Diaz. Just don't want to have Diaz near a title shot because he has done fuck all to deserve one.

If Dustin is declared champ, the have him fight Oliveira.

Dustin has really come a long way. He's made his mark as one of the best to compete at 155.

He's beaten almost everyone he needs to beat to cement his spot. But he knows that even if he captures the belt now and beats the current top guys, he'll never feel like the true champion knowing that there's another 155er in his generation that outclassed him so bad that he would not even consider a rematch.

So I agree with Dustin taking on some grudge matches/money fights like Conor and Nate. I'd like to see him at 170 but maybe he's trying to leave that to Masvidal.

I couldn't disagree more. I would love to see Dustin vs Chandler. I want to know who the best is at 155. If Chandler runs through Dustin would the guy from Dagestan be interested. Chandler thinks he is Khabib's kryptonite. Chandler can wrestle and his standup is better than Khabib's. The question is will Chandler's wrestling hold up against Khabib's pressure?

Dustin definitely wants to be champion. Obviously Khabib's retirement cheapens it somewhat
Well it does and it doesnt.

Dana is muddying up the idea by not having a champ cuz he wants khabib. I dont know why he doesnt just respect khabibs wishes.

He can always give khabib a shot if he comes back. As if, this never happens....

Apparently his new contract gives him champion level pay without having the belt. I can see why he doesn’t care as much. The title is just a fancy trinket to him now

I think khabib is giving these guys a year or so to let a contender emerge. All the while he will be a media whore.

it’s gonna be olivera early 2022.

Olivera > chandler > poirer > justin is the current power rankings imo

I think people would have a clearer idea of what his thought processes are if they watch and listened to his entire post-fight press conference from last night.

he knows he falls into the title shot category anyways .. with or without Khabib

Dustin vs Olive
Dustin vs. Nate
Dustin vs. Chandler

only ones people wanna see

He wants the title, but a fight with Conor pays a ton more. He's thinking financially.

Any top LW should be angling to fight Conor, even ahead of going for a title shot... more money, easier opponent

Back