Thoughts on running as an MMA fighter?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So this is just my 2cents on this topic, would like to know what your opinion is on that.

Running and combat sports have been intertwined for ever. There are good reasons to that. Running develops mental toughness and will, and noone has come up yet with a better way to develop your heart. Numerous studies have shown that distance runners have stronger hearts than cyclists and swimmers.
The reason why is that, in order to develop your aerobic capacity, you need to work for a long time at a moderate pace, with your HR anywhere between 130 and 150 BPM approximately. The thing is that with swimming or cycling, you can't maintain that intensity for very long periods of times, since your muscles will give up before, which is NOT the case for running.
However, running a lot comes at a cost. First of all, even with very good technique, you are taxing your lower body joints, there is just no way around. Second, you aren't spending the time you are running working on your technique, and Lord knows that there is a lot to learn in MMA. We also know that "cardio" in MMA or any other combat sport is more specific cardio than cardio from an anatomical standpoint (Heart rate rest rate, Vo2max, etc. etc.). That's why when you take guys who have the same VO2 max but one has extensive martial arts training while the other hasn't, the one who hasn't will gas out way quicker than the trained guy. So specific cardio is a lot about relaxation, movement economy and efficiency, things that come with technical work.
So wouldn't it be better to sacrifice a bit of "anatomical" cardio by giving up running and taking this time to work on technique in a way that is also challenging? The results might be better in the end.
That's why more and more guys, like Joe Valtellini or Usman (because of his fucked knees) don't run and still have supreme cardio.

Now I want to share my own experience with you.
I used to be a pretty decent runner (37 min 10k, 17.5 5k), so I always had good cardio when I started martial arts, all the more than I kept running for 3 times a week.
But 2 years ago I started replacing more and more of that running by specific cardio (bjj drills, tons of challenging shadowboxing etc. etc. and my cardio has even improved.
So for instance, instead of running for an hour, I start with 30 minutes of shadowboxing (also incorporating kicks, knees, elbows and sprawls), then 30 minutes non-stop drilling bjj moves with a buddy of mine. I always monitor my HR with a chest strap, and I'm usually in the 120-140 range, sometimes peaking to 160-165, sometimes getting down to 110-115. So it is NOT as good of an aerobic workout as running where I am at a constant 140 for an hour, but I improved so much more from a technical standpoint (because of focusing more on technique etc. than just running) that this is largely outweighed by efficiency in movement etc.
Last but not least, my knees and hips have never felt so good, and my flexibility has improved a lot (it is known that running makes you stiff, high-level runners ofter are quite stiff, since it favors movement efficiency).
Bottomline, my Vo2 max might have decreased a bit because I almost don't run anymore but I never felt so fresh when training/sparring. I'm pretty sure I would crush and outcardio a parallel version of myself who would have run instead of doing that type of workouts.

Of course, this is just the experience of an amateur and not high level pros, but still. Of course, as an amateur, I still have tons to learn whereas high level fighters already know it all and thus can focus more on their conditionning (but with that being said, if you look at the UFC roster, there are still a lot of fighters who have big holes in their game)

Would like to hear your thoughts on that sherbros

Last edited:
When i used to box i was encouraged to jog and walk, not run because of pressure on the knees, when i did Muay Thai it was all skipping, but i'm not a pro fighter, the guy at my gym was though and had a brief spell in the UFC Heavyweight division and Bellator, was the BAMMA world HW champ and is a current bare knuckle world champion in Ken Shamrocks promotion.

When i used to box i was encouraged to jog and walk, not run because of pressure on the knees, when i did Muay Thai it was all skipping, but i'm not a pro fighter, the guy at my gym was though and had a brief spell in the UFC Heavyweight division and Bellator, was the BAMMA world HW champ and is a current bare knuckle world champion in Ken Shamrocks promotion.
When I talked about "running" I meant 1 hour or so steady running at a 7.5-8 mile per hour pace in my case, so not very fast, don't know if that is considered "jogging" or running.

When i lived in thailand the thai dudes were constantly running. Theyd wake up and go running for miles and later in the day. They said it made their bones stronger. They all had like 300 fights too. On the flip side they all retire young and are pretty beat up by their early 30s.

I know jack shit but I would think you would be fine without running.. just do a lot of other cardio workouts that probably can mimic a fight a lot better anyways

I'd love to be able to run again but I don't know how to fix my fucking knees

Sprints... not long distance

BareBitterIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif

I prefer to walk and jog. Used to run every day and running so much over the years fucked me toes.

<2>

I prefer to walk and jog. Used to run every day and running so much over the years fucked me toes.

<2>
Just in order to know, what do you consider "jog" and "run" bro? (as it might differ from one individual to another, for instance 10 miles per hour is fucking running for me while it would be Eliud's Kipchoge morning jog)

When i lived in thailand the thai dudes were constantly running. Theyd wake up and go running for miles and later in the day. They said it made their bones stronger. They all had like 300 fights too. On the flip side they all retire young and are pretty beat up by their early 30s.

Yes, it seems like running too much comes at a cost in their case.
Also, I think running that much would be worse even for the average American martial artist who is 6 ft 190 than for the average Thai fighter who is 5.7 135...

Many variables to consider and probably everyone will have a different opinion. Running was "a must" in my first boxing gym. Our coach was an old school guy, a beast of a man and he would insist on a regular running schedule. Later, when I got into kickboxing we would do short sprints, carrying each other on our backs. Most of our cardio work was moderate drills, over and over. A lot of people believe that you should make your cardio specific to your discipline, and they are probably right. But in the end, it's up to you. I never wanted to compete, so being in good shape was my primary goal. Been running regularly for more than 25 years. A lot of swimming in the summer, it's great and a lot easier on the body. Just my 2 cents, I guess it all comes down to the individual.

I guess if you're training mma, you have to be really smart about your workout schedule, there's only so much time in a day. So maybe one could sacrifice some running in order to develop some skill instead.

Yes, it seems like running too much comes at a cost in their case.
Also, I think running that much would be worse even for the average American martial artist who is 6 ft 180-190 than for the average Thai fighter who is 5.7 135...
Yeah i agree. Ive been training since 2013 and i never run unless i happen to be in a class that requires it for a warm up. Never once felt like it carried over especially since i switched mainly to grappling a few years ago.

Mayweather was big on running and you have NEVER seen him tired in 50 fights which when you think about it is freaking remarkable, never once has he looked remotely tired even in round 12. He dose also do a lot of bag work and various other stuff though which no doubt helps.

I run on the treadmill with running shoes with good cushioning and never had the slightest niggle with any of my joints, running outside has caused niggling pains in the past but on a treadmill the impact for me is non existent. For me running at 130bpm feels like im not doing anything like i can breath through my nose only, i don't feel like i'm getting a good workout until i'm around 150bpm, i usually push 160+ towards the end of run to finish up. i'm a complete casual runner tho and have no real clue what im doing i just get on and run, i only run a couple of miles every other day just because i feel better for it, i'm more into lifting and trying to get swole which its self has a negative effect on cardio, i just run to stay healthy really.

Didn't you make the same thread about a week ago?

Many variables to consider and probably everyone will have a different opinion. Running was "a must" in my first boxing gym. Our coach was an old school guy, a beast of a man and he would insist on a regular running schedule. Later, when I got into kickboxing we would do short sprints, carrying each other on our backs. Most of our cardio work was moderate drills, over and over. A lot of people believe that you should make your cardio specific to your discipline, and they are probably right. But in the end, it's up to you. I never wanted to compete, so being in good shape was my primary goal. Been running regularly for more than 25 years. A lot of swimming in the summer, it's great and a lot easier on the body. Just my 2 cents, I guess it all comes down to the individual.

I guess if you're training mma, you have to be really smart about your workout schedule, there's only so much time in a day. So maybe one could sacrifice some running in order to develop some skill instead.

Yeah, swimming is awesome, as I mentionned it before your heart won't get as strong from that as from running (because of muscle fatigue and the fact that you are horizontal in the water, so your heart hasn't to pump the blood as hard), but there are tons of benefits running hasn't, for instance it's no impact and gives you tremendous upper-body strength and muscle endurance, which is so awesome for grappling.

IMO the best answer is to mix it up

5k's and occasionally 10k's

(awesome 5k time btw !!)

stairs, climb machine, swimming, weight lifting etc ..

excellent data out there regarding stretching your heart too YMMV

Back