How big of an Upset was Dustin's TKO of Conor?

wwkirk

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm no MMA scholar, but before last night here are a few of the biggest upsets in recent MMA history that come to mind.

GSP v Serra (2007)
Fedor v Werdum (2010)
Holm v Rousey (2015)
Maybe also, Nate v Conor (2016)

How does Dustin's rematch victory over Conor rank compared to other major upsets?
Or do you even consider it to be an upset?

Given the circumstances, it shouldn't be that big of an upset.

Dustin is a proven, top LW in the world. Arguably the best with Khabib gone.

I absolutely didn't expect Poirier to win by strikes so early. I picked Conor to win. I figured later once Conor gassed, he may be able to TKO him with a flurry but Poirier is and always has been legit.

It's not on the level of any of those, IMO.

I thought Dustin should have been slight fave. Betting odds had Conman as heavy fave due to all the idiot casuals betting on conman

I'm no MMA scholar, but before last night here are a few of the biggest upsets in recent MMA history that come to mind.

GSP v Serra (2007)
Fedor v Werdum (2010)
Holm v Rousey (2015)

How does Dustin's rematch victory over Conor rank compared to other major upsets?
It’s nowhere near those upsets. Dustin Poirer has improved leaps and bounds from the first fight and conor hasn’t been a full time fighter in ages.

Its definitely an upset, but only a mild one imo.

Not a huge upset really, I gave Dustin About a 33℅ chance.

Not even remotely close to them. Its not that great of an upset. I thought Conor would be a little to fast and sharp, and thought Dustins style would play into his hands. A did think you could tell Dustin was in the shape of his life at the weigh in to think about a bet but...nah. Hindsight. I thought hed win but it wasnt a huge shock he didnt.

GSP v Serra (2007)
Fedor v Werdum (2010)
Holm v Rousey (2015)

I don’t think it was an upset at all. I think that ever since mid-late 2018, Poirier defeating Conor in a rematch at 155 was a very reasonable position. I certainly picked Poirier to win last night by stoppage.

Popularity doesn’t win fist-fights in the Octagon.

Dustin has improved dramatically, performs better at 155 (than he did at 145), and (with the exception of Khabib) has been beating absolute hammers. Conor’s been comparatively inactive, enjoying his wealth.

This outcome should not be particularly surprising.

Turns out you can't go on a 4 year bender and come back to be the champ. No matter what the books say, this isn't even an upset to anyone who was following the sport as more than a casual fan.

Only a big upset to casuals really. I saw it as 60/40 in favor of Conor, but Dustin absolutely could win (as he showed).

Dear OP, there are these things called betting lines. Look them up.

Back