Anyone ever figure out why the Colby/Usman fight was stopped?

Because Colby got dropped, was getting the shit beat out of him and ate 10+ full blast hammerfists with pretty much no defense.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

Colby's injured jaw was what pretty much everyone was talking about since halfway through the fight, including the commentators. You are a fool if you think that refs aren't influenced by that. So as soon as Colby got into trouble on the ground any decent referee would step in quickly.

Just my guess :)
giphy.gif

because colby eye pocked him and was getting gap at athe end

Because Colby got dropped, was getting the shit beat out of him and ate 10+ full blast hammerfists with pretty much no defense.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
Looking back that was early, Colby still would have lost on points for getting dropped but fights have gone on for longer than that in similar positions

I think Marc's explanation on Dan Hardy's channel was really good

"“(It was a) difficult fight. I know I handled it on the money, to a T,” Goddard said. “I’m seeing things unfold, and I see Colby put down twice in rapid order – plus 24 minutes of back-and-forth before that. So there’s a lot of damage sustained. Then I see him go down, and obviously he stays in that turtle position started on the double, then pulling his hands back. This is where everything will narrow in for me. I’m now firmly put in the spotlight. I have a decision to make and I’m trying to assess this. I have to assess this, real-time, with everything I saw, etc."

Not sure where it is in this video though.

Really good as in really awful.

Bad stoppage.

Goddard has quickly become the worst ref in MMA.

And Herb Dean is right up there in second place.

Dunno, feel like those two get the biggest fights to referee so are in the spotlight more, you could be right though.

I think it was a fair stoppage though, dude was taking hammer fists to his already broken jaw and not doing enough to defend.

Looking back that was early, Colby still would have lost on points for getting dropped but fights have gone on for longer than that in similar positions

I don't see the argument for it being early honestly. Have a lot of fights gone later? Sure. Could this have gone later? Yeah, it could've and it would've been fine. But bias aside, I don't think it's an early stoppage, it's a totally acceptable one for me. TJ vs CCC was an early stoppage by Goddard imo, not this one. Here TJ barely gets hit with 2 or 3 ground punches and is actively moving and turning around, plus it's the 1st round. In that fight Colby got dropped hard twice, it was the 5th rd, visible damage and fatigue, was completely static, and just eating 12 undefended punches. I don't get the argument for early stoppage.

ForthrightSameIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

I don't see the argument for it being early honestly. Have a lot of fights gone later? Sure. Could this have gone later? Yeah, it could've and it would've been fine. But bias aside, I don't think it's an early stoppage, it's a totally acceptable one for me. TJ vs CCC was an early stoppage by Goddard imo, not this one. Here TJ barely gets hit with 2 or 3 ground punches and is actively moving and turning around, plus it's the 1st round. In that fight Colby got dropped hard twice, it was the 5th rd, visible damage and fatigue, was completely static, and just eating 12 undefended punches. I don't get the argument for early stoppage.

ForthrightSameIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif
MacDonald did a terrible job there. He looked 'panicky' through the whole sequence.

Great stoppage. Coby Cuckington got his ass beat and jaw broken.

Also, he faked an eyepoke because Usman was Black Lives Mattering him.

Back