Best wrestler Dan Hooker has faced?

NoBiasJustMMA

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I was just looking over Hooker's record and it looks like the best wrestler he's ever faced was Jim Miller coming off 3 straight losses in 2018. I find this interesting as Hooker's UFC TDD is 79% which is well above average but it seems his TDD hasn't really ever been tested by someone known for their takedowns. It will be interesting to see how Hooker's TDD holds up against Chandler who is arguably the best wrestler at LW now that Khabib is retired.

I don't know who wins but I think Chandler is being a bit overlooked by the fans and I have him as a minor favorite though I can see either winning. Hopefully it's a good fight that's back and forth and goes at least 2 rounds. What do you guys think, is Jim Miller the best wrestler Hooker has faced and how well do you think his TDD will hold up against Chandler?

Yeah it seems like he's been matched up primarily against strikers. Gilbert Burns is obviously a tremendous grappler but he was killing himself to make 155 and Hooker clipped him early in that one. He hasn't really been tested by a high-level wrester who will try and drag him into deep waters, so I'm interested to see how he handles this challenge vs Chandler. Personally I've got some cash on Chandler because of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hooker pulled it off.

Yeah it seems like he's been matched up primarily against strikers. Gilbert Burns is obviously a tremendous grappler but he was killing himself to make 155 and Hooker clipped him early in that one. He hasn't really been tested by a high-level wrester who will try and drag him into deep waters, so I'm interested to see how he handles this challenge vs Chandler. Personally I've got some cash on Chandler because of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hooker pulled it off.

Yeah, Gilbert has good grappling and takedowns but like you said he was compromising himself cutting to LW and has looked much better at WW so I didn't include him cause I don't think performance wise he's the same guy at LW that he is at WW.

This is a huge fight for both guys and I feel like we will know a lot more about both of them after the fight.

I have no idea if Miller is the best wrestler he's faced, but i think Hooker is quite good at defending takedowns just based on the fights i've seen him in.

I honestly think he might butcher Chandler, should he not get the takedown.
On the feet, Hooker is very good offensively and being that much longer than Chandler in both height and reach amplifies these advantages in my eyes.

Iaquinta had some good wrestling. Hioki and burns both have good takedowns too but Chandler is a beast of a wrestler. Hooker is looking for that knee

Iaquinta had some good wrestling. Hioki and burns both have good takedowns too but Chandler is a beast of a wrestler. Hooker is looking for that knee

Iaquinta doesn't really use his wrestling offensively so I didn't mention him. Hooker does have good intercepting knees so I do expect him to try them but that could also backfire. I feel like neither of these guys have faced someone like the other which makes the fight really interesting.

Good question but there's also a question about how good Chandler's wrestling will be against elite UFC LWs. It was quite effective in Bellator, but he did get outwrestled by Will Brooks, who was a total flop in the UFC. Hooker, Poirier, Gaethje, etc. will definitely be a step above Girtz, Yamaguchi and others that Chandler beat and outgrappled in Bellator.

Hatsu Hioki? I guess some people count him as a can but he was actually really good when on top form.

Chandler can definitely take him down but the distance is a big thing in this fight, he can't shoot from so far out so he might need to walk through some fire and Hooker has underrated power.

Chandler would be the best ...

This has to be the chandler gameplan...it would be foolish to stand with the much longer and taller Hooker..for 3 rounds...

We shall see.. This is a big question mark fight for chandler

This fight is so hard to predict

Speed and power and wrestling go to chandler

Durability and volume hooker

I feel like chandler is being overlooked by ufc fans .....mma fans know chandler is a beast...even if chandler gets KOd in the first minute - he's still a legit top fighter no doubt

Hooker is a stud and all but he is overrated and does not belong to the upper echelon of LW.

As a Hooker, I’m sure he’s very comfortable off his back.

I was just looking over Hooker's record and it looks like the best wrestler he's ever faced was Jim Miller coming off 3 straight losses in 2018. I find this interesting as Hooker's UFC TDD is 79% which is well above average but it seems his TDD hasn't really ever been tested by someone known for their takedowns. It will be interesting to see how Hooker's TDD holds up against Chandler who is arguably the best wrestler at LW now that Khabib is retired.

I don't know who wins but I think Chandler is being a bit overlooked by the fans and I have him as a minor favorite though I can see either winning. Hopefully it's a good fight that's back and forth and goes at least 2 rounds. What do you guys think, is Jim Miller the best wrestler Hooker has faced and how well do you think his TDD will hold up against Chandler?
Gilbert Burns and Al Iaquinta both have very good wrestling.

Chandler has much better wrestling than the other guys listed but I suspect he will only uses it if he gets hurt from feet.

There's no way you want to make your debut in the UFC with a grapple snooze-fest, especially with someone like Hooker who is hittable.

Hooker is at the same team with Adesanya and Volk. I think it's safe to presume his TDD is at least decent. The threat with his knees might serve as a deterrent as well.

I'd argue Islam and Charles would be best wrestlers at a LW without Khabib. I know Charles is a "BJJ guy" but I think he gets the TD if he and Chandler were to fight. Just my opinion though.

About Hooker... don't know that one, but it's a good point if it's true that Miller was the highest wrestler so far. Hooker seems confident in his capacity as a wrestler-killer, for what it's worth.

One time I noticed this, and I also noticed that he had a habit of fighting strikers that were coming off losses, so I tweeted him to fight a wrestler and then he blocked me on twitter.

Back