Just rewatched Dustin X Max

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
It's much more difficult to call than I remember from watching it on ppv.

Dustin had 2 of that greatest rounds anyone has had on Max in his Career in the first two rounds of this fight. He landed some big punches and hurt max a few times to stop Holloway from gaining any kind of momentum.

Somewhere in the beginning of the third, you can see a slight turning of the tide though. Max, albeit bloody, had taken Dustin's best shots and he started to pour on his patented pace and volume and he was overwhelming Dustin a bit.

The last 3 rounds Dustin finishes off by grabbing on to Max, trying to dig for a takedown, but ultimately just buying some time to rest as he looked pretty gassed .

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I really can see Max winning the last 3 rounds. 4 and 5 are his fairly convincingly and the 3rd is super close.

This fight really exemplifies the damage vs numbers debate in combat sports.
Dustin clearly landed the bigger shots and did more damage,but Max landed more and he progressively became better.

Great fight. Maybe that knee by DP swayed the judges. What do you guys think ?

Dustin had 2 of that greatest rounds anyone has had on Max in his Career in the first two rounds of this fight. He landed some big punches and hurt max a few times to stop Holloway from gaining any kind of momentum.

Somewhere in the beginning of the third, you can see a slight turning of the tide though. Max, albeit bloody, had taken Dustin's best shots and he started to pour on his patented pace and volume and he was overwhelming Dustin a bit.

The last 3 rounds Dustin finishes off by grabbing on to Max, trying to dig for a takedown, but ultimately just buying some time to rest as he looked pretty gassed .

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I really can see Max winning the last 3 rounds. 4 and 5 are his fairly convincingly and the 3rd is super close.

Dustin clearly landed the bigger shots and did more damage,but Max landed more and he progressively became better.

The knee changed everything. Max was turning it around until then.

3 judges gave it 49-46 Poirier. He just did significantly more damage

I think the rule change BJM put forward to value damage over volume was important for fights like these, but the 10-point system somewhat messes that idea up, as does the poor judging.

As for the fight I thought Max would comfortably outpoint Dustin on the feet. So Max's lack of power given that he's already such an effective striker at FW, put a beating on Aldo, also with putting on weight for the thin frame, was surprising. I don't think highly of Poirier's stand-up. He's a war dog, not really clean, while Max is both.

Max had more volume but Dustin really wobbled him everytime he touched him.

If the Dustin that showed up that night was fighting Conor this weekend I'd bet the house on him. But remember after the Khabib fight, Dustin got hip surgery which is very invasive and if that 2nd round against Hooker was 10 seconds longer he would've been KOd.

Dustin arguably won the 1st round 10-8 and no way max won more than 2 rounds.

If the Dustin that showed up that night was fighting Conor this weekend I'd bet the house on him. But remember after the Khabib fight, Dustin got hip surgery which is very invasive and if that 2nd round against Hooker was 10 seconds longer he would've been KOd.
He wouldn't be able to handle taking that many shots from Conor

Back