Does it take a "mean" person to be a good mixed martial artist?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
When you think about it, Nick Diaz is completely right, "It's not a sport", it's a lot about taking away the most precious thing your opponent has (his health and especially his brain health).
I've been training martial arts for quite a long time, and I'm glad I only compete in bjj and that the few fights I had in boxing were boring decisions in which nobody got hurt, because I wouldn't have had the willingness to put my opponent against the ropes and punch him until his brain gives up and separates him from consciousness.
Now imagine in MMA, in order to participate in that sport, you need to be ready to headkick your opponent, and to follow him to the ground even if he is already completely out to gnp him to death until the ref pulls you off him. You have to be ready to do that to a guy who is just like you, who also has a family who needs him, a guy who could be your friend. I think a very small percentage of the population has the "mentality" to that.

What are your thoughts on that? Would you be ready to go on top of a guy you already almost koed and gnp him with another 20 punches until the ref decides to end the slaughter? Do you also sometimes feel guilt when enjoying to watch a sport where guys lose years of their lives, and millions of neurons ?

Maia.'s whole gimmick was that he wanted to beat his opponents while doing the least amount of damage possible. Maybe he would have been even more successful if he had Khabibs "smesh "mentality but he still had a legendary career

Maia.'s whole gimmick was that he wanted to beat his opponents while doing the least amount of damage possible. Maybe he would have been even more successful if he had Khabibs "smesh "mentality but he still had a legendary career
This guy is a legend.
There is something very brutal about ground and pound, I can understand why so many people hate MMA and prefer boxing even if boxing causes more damage to the brain than mma, there is, from a symbolic standpoint, something inherently unwholsome about that.
That's why a good bjj player who controls you and puts you in a sub where you can tap is better than a beast wrestler here to punish you for 5 rounds

You can be a nice person but have some memory to draw from just to become mean for the fight. For example, I would venture to guess that GSP draws from his memory of being bullied. Or you can see JDS turns it on when he walks to the middle of the cage as he's announced.

I personally do believe you have to be mean during the fight. I mean you have to want to hurt the person, even more so in a cold and methodical way.

Just in order to know, would you be willing to gnp an already hurt opponent knowing that maybe his parents or children are watching and that he might never be the same after that?
I think I wouldn't, that's why I stick to bjj I guess...

Some people who don’t like to inflict any damage whatsoever to their opponents and in fact avoid doing that at all costs have even made careers out of fighting in the UFC.

His name is Elias Theodorou

Holloway just put on another career shortening beatdown and no fighter has ever talked bad about him because they consider him a great guy.

I don't think personality or emotion has really anything to do with it, it's more the ability to compartmentalize effectively to remove any distractions so that your skills can express themselves in the most efficient way possible.

More of a soldier mindset rather than some "tough guy" gangbanger attitude.

Sumo dude got knocked out the other day and ended winning his bout after. Crazy stuff.

Of course guys like GSP, JDS, MM, Miocic, or even Bazooka Joe if you take other stiking sports are nice guys who act as great role models.
But, when in the cage or in the ring, they have to be the meanest persons on the world, right? They have to be willing to badly hurt their opponent, even if this can have life changing implications for him.

1065317028.0.0.jpg

Does just Hungry count as "mean"?

No.

However...guys who have a built in eagerness and readiness to fight have an advantage in that they don't have that fear to overcome...actually they enjoy it. So mentally it's easier and more natural for them to fight. Less stressful.

Back