How did 'Motivated' Conor become a thing??

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
How did Conor convince fans, pundits and even fighters that he was bored? And why do people buy it? He lost against Khabib which is the toughest fight in the division. Although he lost pretty handily, he did hold his own in pockets of the fight.

Conor wasn't even the betting favourite against khabib.

He simply lost to the better man. I believe he was motivated against khabib. If you can't get motivated to take someone's 0, I don't know what to tell you. He knew the fight was going to do huge numbers.

If Conor faced another journeyman and lost, that's where I can see the excuse or people buying the excuse. But it's like people pretend he didn't lose to khabib and act as if he lost to Paul Felder or something. This is not a jon jones being bored with Anthony smith situation.

Losing to Khabib shouldn't be a that much of a knock. Conor wasn't in the goat conversations.

I'm seeing things pundits and fighters build up the 257 fight as a motivated Conor wins against Poirier.

Tl;dr the motivated narrative is weak. Conor didn't lose because of lack of motivation and should be beat Poirier it's not because he's extra motivated/super focused.

Last edited:
It's just another Sherdog classic saying like sea level Cain, motivated BJ Penn, or Chuck with that look in his eyes. A built in excuse for nuthuggers
chuckstare.gif

Mayweather and proper 12. It’s not a stretch to think he might not have been focused on mma...

I don’t anybody ever consider Conor the goat. Just like defending your belt a meager 3x doesn’t make you the goat either.

It's just another Sherdog classic saying like sea level Cain, motivated BJ Penn, 70% Hendricks, or Chuck with that look in his eyes. A built in excuse for nuthuggers, but also a great punchline for jokes
I've been watching a lot of ufc press , predictions leading up to the fight and I'm seeing a lot of motivated Conor spins out there.

Like bro he didn't lose to Nik lentz, he wasn't beat in his wheelhouse. He got beat by a dominant grappler. No one says that about Poirier and no one is going to say it about Justin when they lost to khabib.

Motivated McGregor is a meme bruh

It is but the ufc promotes it and I get it from their perspective. I get it from Conor's perspective but I don't get how pundits and even the fans digest it. He tried that against floyd and the narrative was flushed down the toilet really fast

I don’t anybody ever consider Conor the goat. Just like defending your belt a meager 3x doesn’t make you the goat either.
I can’t see how anyone thinks he anything but a top 3 of all time.

I dont see how you can watch old Conor when he was grinding through the FW division and not see a difference with Conor of late. Dude had a different aura back then. Success can make people too comfortable. It happens.

if hes an alcoholic and running through 8 balls every weekend like we hear he was, then thats someone who isnt fully motivated.

It's because he just got the biggest payday from Mayweather fight, started a new business that was taking up all his time. Plus he was partying and drinking during that time. All the videos of him being hammered were all over the media during that time. Drinking during press conferences etc. Conor wasn't in the best physical shape leading up to that fight. He looks a lot healthier now, compare the way he looked leading up to the fight with Khabib and the way he looks now. Very noticeable difference.

It's because he just got the biggest payday from Mayweather fight, started a new business that was taking up all his time. Plus he was partying and drinking during that time. All the videos of him being hammered were all over the media during that time. Drinking during press conferences etc. Conor wasn't in the best physical shape leading up to that fight. He looks a lot healthier now, compare the way he looked leading up to the fight with Khabib and the way he looks now. Very noticeable difference.
I remember after the fight and before the fight where tmz would catch Conor leaving a gym or talking about training. Conor always trained. He never stopped training. Did the khabib loss lead to different training? Stricter regimen? Maybe.

Was he being lazy and not training as hard due to new money and business? I'm going to say no.

How did Conor convince fans, pundits and even fighters that he was bored? And why do people buy it? He lost against Khabib which is the toughest fight in the division. Although he lost pretty handily, he did hold his own in pockets of the fight.

Conor wasn't even the betting favourite against khabib.

He simply lost to the better man. I believe he was motivated against khabib. If you can't get motivated to take someone's 0, I don't know what to tell you. He knew the fight was going to do huge numbers.

If Conor faced another journeyman and lost, that's where I can see the excuse or people buying the excuse. But it's like people pretend he didn't lose to khabib and act as if he lost to Paul Felder or something. This is not a jon jones being bored with Anthony smith situation.

Losing to Khabib shouldn't be a that much of a knock. Conor wasn't in the goat conversations.

I'm seeing things pundits and fighters build up the 257 fight as a motivated Conor wins against Poirier.

Tl;dr the motivated narrative is weak. Conor didn't lose because of lack of motivation and should be beat Poirier it's not because he's extra motivated/super focused.
Consequences of Alcohol Use on Athletic Performance:
Impairs motor skills and decreases strength, power and sprint performance. Alcohol slows reaction time and impairs precision, equilibrium, hand-eye coordination, accuracy, balance, judgment, information processing, focus, stamina, strength, power and speed for up to 72 hours (three days) other words no motivation for training

I remember after the fight and before the fight where tmz would catch Conor leaving a gym or talking about training. Conor always trained. He never stopped training. Did the khabib loss lead to different training? Stricter regimen? Maybe.

Was he being lazy and not training as hard due to new money and business? I'm going to say no.
There was also clips of him drunk in a treehouse slurring and mumbling and all the videos of him wasted and dancing at the club. He was training but probably not to the extent he is doing now. I think he was really comfortable after the massive pay day he got. Which is understandable, it would probably happen to almost everyone. The lost I think is what made him snap out of it. He hates losing and that loss fired him up, especially since that fight ended up turning personal.

Conor has bad cardio and lost to Diaz nearly twice.

He has 5 losses already too.

He's going to probably get knocked out a few times while Khabib stays undefeated and all this Conor talk will end permanently.

He just looks too vulnerable when he's tired and his gastank sucks.

It's just dumb Conor fans that's all. He wins then he's motivated, he's back, he's hungry, GOAT etc.

He loses then he wasn't motivated, he was intoxicated, didn't take the fight seriously, he fought injured etc.

Conor fans are just casuals that's all.

There was also clips of him drunk in a treehouse slurring and mumbling and all the videos of him wasted and dancing at the club. He was training but probably not to the extent he is doing now. I think he was really comfortable after the massive pay day he got. Which is understandable, it would probably happen to almost everyone. The lost I think is what made him snap out of it. He hates losing and that loss fired him up, especially since that fight ended up turning personal.

That's possible.

I don't think that's consequences of him getting the money or getting richer. I think that's Conor. He's always involved in some scandal even present Conor. I think the loss did change his regimen but I wouldn't say he wasn't motivated or not focused.

I think Conor is one of the very few true martial artists in MMA. I don't think he would half ass train against khabib. He knew what he was going against. By true martial artist I also believe he's a gym rat.

This is the evidence i needed to see why Conor will never beat Khabib. Motivated Conor against Nate 2.

AgileHighlevelFurseal-small.gif

Motivated Conor is just all fun.

Back