Islam Makhachev is the only fighter to win rounds against Khabib in sparrings.

Alexnotonfire

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've translated the snippet of the interview in Russian.

Javier Mendez:

We've got Islam Makhachev, he will be the next champion and I don't even want to hear any arguments about it. Keep giving him fights and he will be destroying people. I've never told anyone, but he is the only fighter in the history of AKA who, on a regular basis, has been able to win rounds against Khabib in sparring practices. Not a whole practice, but separate rounds. He is by far the hardest Khabib's opponent in the gym.

Yeah, it's hard to get a fight for Islam, everybody's avoiding him because of how good he is. Don't forget that Islam is a world combat sambo champion as well as Khabib, but they are different in terms of striking skills. Here's a thing, Khabib has been working on his striking only with me, i.e. when he was at home he didn't pay attention to it at all. On the other hand Islam has been working on striking with me and other coaches. He's been constantly bettering his striking technique, kicks and everything else. In wrestling, judo and jiu-jitsu Khabib and Islam are roughly equal, but when it comes to striking Islam has stepped up and is way ahead of Khabib. Everytime he comes to us, I can see he's better as a kicker, boxer, his knee strikes have improved. Of course I can't say that Islam is better on the ground than Khabib, but he has the potential to become the second best ground fighter after Khabib.

Last edited:
Sparring by definition doesn't really have scoring. It's "practice".

fighters that go 100% in sparring tend to have to find other gyms and camps to train in (Yes I mean you, Overeem.....)

islam needs to fight at march, this is ridiculous

Javier Mendez:

We've got Islam Makhachev, he will be the next champion and I don't even want to hear any arguments about it. Keep giving him fights and he will be destroying people. I've never told anyone, but he is the only fighter in the history of AKA who, on a regular basis, has been able to win rounds against Khabib in sparrings. Not a whole sparring, but separate rounds. He is by far the hardest Khabib's opponent in the gym.

Yeah, it's hard to get a fight for Islam, everybody's avoiding him because of how good he is. Don't forget that Islam is a world combat sambo champion as well as Khabib, but they are different in terms of striking skills. Here's a thing, Khabib has been working on his striking only with me, i.e. when he was at home he didn't pay attention to it at all. On the other hand Islam has been working on striking with me and other coaches. He's been constantly bettering his striking technique, kicks and everything else. In wrestling, judo and jiu-jitsu Khabib and Islam are roughly equal, but when it comes to striking Islam has stepped up and is way ahead of Khabib. Everytime he comes to us, I can see he's better as a kicker, boxer, his knee strikes have improved. Of course I can't say that Islam is better on the ground than Khabib, but he has the potential to become the second best ground fighter after Khabib.

training is meaningless.
Anyone that brags about winning during any training session does it because (s)he can't win in a real fight.

By the way I omitted a part where Javier mentioned that Islam would humiliate Conor in a fight.

AKA doesn't have good LW's. Khabib rotates with guys like Bunch, Winn, Ige and Islam...and Ali...and DC's "grim reaper".

Rumors might be floating around Islam Makhachev is a vegan so make of that what you will

Reactions: lsa
Doesn't have a chin to hang out at the top

Islam needs a season were he fights regurlarly. Last year was not his year from corona to his coach passing away and getting staph.

Makhachaev got the skills but want to see him against the top guys in the LW division.
Drew Dobber is a great test for him to get there.

Shame if we never see Islam compete, love his fighting style. Otherwise Islam will be known for a fighter that won rounds of Khabib in sparring.

Javier Mendez:

We've got Islam Makhachev, he will be the next champion and I don't even want to hear any arguments about it. Keep giving him fights and he will be destroying people. I've never told anyone, but he is the only fighter in the history of AKA who, on a regular basis, has been able to win rounds against Khabib in sparring practices. Not a whole practice, but separate rounds. He is by far the hardest Khabib's opponent in the gym.

He is very good we all agree but he needs to fight more often and get out of khabibs shadow

It's sad though. The guy is definitely one of the best in the division, has not fought since September 2019, stuck outside of the top 10 and still does not have a fight lined up. Hope he gets some fights in this year.

Islam knows Khabib's weaknesses because he's been training with him for so long. Any fighter facing Khabib for the first time is in a world of shit.

when it comes to striking Islam has stepped up and is way ahead of Khabib.
NaughtyMessyAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

Back