How do you see Yan/Sterling fight go?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
My opinion - Yan's wresling/counter wrestling is enough to hurt Sterling very hard in the first two rounds and finish him.

However, if the fight goes more rounds it becomes interesting.
On one hand, Sterling's striking and mix-it-up game has improved greatly, and he might outpoint Yan in the end.
On the other hand, Sterling has never fought in championship rounds in the UFC (once he won 5 round decision in the regionals over the flyweight Sean Santella) so he might be not ready for this. But something tells me he WILL be ready, he has a serious camp and serious approach. Also his whole style is for longer fights so he probably is training for the whole 25 min

What do you think?

I think Yan's grappling is underrated, but so is Sterling's striking.

Sterling actually outstruck Rivera more handily than Yan did.
I think it's due to a fact that stylistically Rivera was more convenient to Sterling than to Yan: Rivera's TDs presented a threat to Yan but not so to Sterling

I see Yan surviving some serious grappling threats from Sterling in rounds 1-2, Yan ramps up the pressure in the later rounds and makes Sterling crumple in round 4 or 5.
Agree Sterling won't be able to handle a 5 rounder

6e0d23bd6c7449eb6d3947905824f06d.jpeg

Sterling goes to sleep R3

Yan has been practicing his wrestling with Dagestani beasts lately. He seems super motivated and durable. I feel like he will outpace Aljo and hurt him badly within 3-4 rounds.

Aljo by Khabib. He really has fantastic top pressure. Yan's movement seems to stiff to keep Aljo off him for 5 rounds.

It is a huge step up in competition for Yan. He has the belt, but he has never fought a top 5 bantamweight.

Yan's boxing is technically very sound, but he will be at a very big reach disadvantage for the first time in his UFC career.

His last fight against a fighter who wasn't years removed from their prime was Jimmie Rivera. Yan scored knockdowns in each of the first two rounds, but then Rivera outlanded him in the third (and the overall fight) by a sizable margin.

Sterling had fought Rivera a few months earlier and thoroughly dominated him, outlanding him by a better than 4:1 ratio. Sterling nearly landed as many strikes in Rd 2 alone (48 significant, 50 total) as Yan did in the entire 3-round fight (56 significant, 58 total). In his next fight, Sterling went on to land 174 significant strikes in 3 rounds against Munhoz.

Since shooting in for a takedown just as Moraes was throwing that knee, Sterling is on a 5-fight winning streak in which he has not lost a round.

If Sterling can utlilize his sizable reach advantage effectively, like we saw him do against Munhoz and Rivera, he could very well outland Yan on the feet. Then Yan would have to decide if he wants to gamble and try his wrestling against Sterling's elite submission skills.

I think it's due to a fact that stylistically Rivera was more convenient to Sterling than to Yan: Rivera's TDs presented a threat to Yan but not so to Sterling
Rivera isn't known for his offensive wrestling or ground game

I'm looking forward to the Buff's introduction of Yan, literally screaming "Peltr" from the top of his lungs, instead of "Piotr"... Gets me every time. Makes me feel awkward like I'm watching an episode of the Office

Last edited:
Yan has been practicing his wrestling with Dagestani beasts lately. He seems super motivated and durable. I feel like he will outpace Aljo and hurt him badly within 3-4 rounds.
That's great and all but a short camp in Dagestan won't erase the advantage of a collegiate pedigree and high level black belt BJJ skills.

I see Yan having the edge is power, maybe durability. Better boxing. Sterling can out kickbox Yan on the feet, though, and is a plainly superior grappler. Aljo has more ways to win but Petr's the kind of guy that will march you down and look for his spots the whole time, and won't be dissuaded if you're piecing him up a bit, even for multiple rounds. It really is a great fight.

I think Yan will survive the grappling onslaught and starts asserting his striking from round 3 and finishing him in the championships round. But I don't know, either guy can finish each other early with their speciality.

It is a huge step up in competition for Yan. He has the belt, but he has never fought a top 5 bantamweight.

Yan's boxing is technically very sound, but he will be at a very big reach disadvantage for the first time in his UFC career.

His last fight against a fighter who wasn't years removed from their prime was Jimmie Rivera. Yan scored knockdowns in each of the first two rounds, but then Rivera outlanded him in the third (and the overall fight) by a sizable margin.

Sterling had fought Rivera a few months earlier and thoroughly dominated him, outlanding him by a better than 4:1 ratio. Sterling nearly landed as many strikes in Rd 2 alone (48 significant, 50 total) as Yan did in the entire 3-round fight (56 significant, 58 total). In his next fight, Sterling went on to land 174 significant strikes in 3 rounds against Munhoz.

Since shooting in for a takedown just as Moraes was throwing that knee, Sterling is on a 5-fight winning streak in which he has not lost a round.

If Sterling can utlilize his sizable reach advantage effectively, like we saw him do against Munhoz and Rivera, he could very well outland Yan on the feet. Then Yan would have to decide if he wants to gamble and try his wrestling against Sterling's elite submission skills.

It's a huge step up in competition for Aljo.

Sterling is on a 5 fights winning streak, Yan is on 10 fights winning streak.
Sterling has 3 losses, Yan has 1 loss that he avenged.
Sterling competed in a five round fight only once, Yan has fought three times in five rounds fights.

That's great and all but a short camp in Dagestan won't erase the advantage of a collegiate pedigree and high level black belt BJJ skills.

I see Yan having the edge is power, maybe durability. Better boxing. Sterling can out kickbox Yan on the feet, though, and is a plainly superior grappler. Aljo has more ways to win but Petr's the kind of guy that will march you down and look for his spots the whole time, and won't be dissuaded if you're piecing him up a bit, even for multiple rounds. It really is a great fight.
Magomed "Tiger" Magomedov that Yan fought against is a better overall grappler/wresler than Aljo.

Yan by late tko by 4th or the 5th. Sterling is so tough but yan has shown good td defense and his stand up is sharp. If sterling wins I don’t see a finish maybe a dec

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back