Ortega - Volk announced title fight

Dirge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Looking forward to this one.

I'm going with Ortega. He looked vastly improved in his last fight while Volk squeaked by Max by panic wrestling in the later rounds. He probably won't want to play in Ortega's guard.

Thoughts?

Looking forward to this one.

I'm going with Ortega. He looked vastly improved in his last fight while Volk squeaked by Max by panic wrestling in the later rounds. He probably won't want to play in Ortega's guard.

Thoughts?
I don't think Volk's going to need much wrestling he'll beat Ortega striking, if anything it will be Ortega who'll be searching for a sub. Incidentally I wouldn't call it panic wrestling when he was winning the stand up in rounds 3, 4 and 5.

Looking forward to it too (ofc) but not sure Ortega deserves the TS on a 1 fight win streak. Could have at least waited to see what happens tonite with Max and Cattar.

That's what happen when two guys in the top 5 of the division have a 0.5 fight/year ratio. Yair and Zabit are a pain in the ass.

Volk 3 4 5
200.gif

I don't think Volk's going to need much wrestling he'll beat Ortega striking, if anything it will be Ortega who'll be searching for a sub. Incidentally I wouldn't call it panic wrestling when he was winning the stand up in rounds 3, 4 and 5.

?

Max absolutely dominated rounds one and two. Round three was closer but the majority of the media felt Max won it. The last two rounds, Volk did zero damage but controlled the rounds with useless takedowns.

I'd suggest you try watching the fight again.

2ysdKI7.jpg

?

Max absolutely dominated rounds one and two. Round three was closer but the majority of the media felt Max won it. The last two rounds, Volk did zero damage but controlled the rounds with useless takedowns.

2ysdKI7.jpg
I'd suggest you look at the striking stats in rounds 3-5, particularly in the third round where so many people feel Holloway outstruck Volk. The stats paint a different picture.

I'd suggest you look at the striking stats in rounds 3-5, particularly in the third round where so many people feel Holloway outstruck Volk. The stats paint a different picture.

Did you think Max deserved at 10-8 in rounds one or two? He hurt Volk badly several times. Volk did literally zero damage to Max for the entire fight. And yes I know the UFC scoring pretty much ignores damage per round (which is why guys like Bisping did well in the UFC) but there is a reason most people felt Max won.

Their first fight there was no doubt Max got beat but their second go around, Max forced Volk who stated multiple times leading up to the fight that he was going to "finish" Max to spam takedowns.

If Volk was catching up on the striking and won the first fight on his striking (which he did) why did he suddenly start wrestling?

Holloway has just out himself slap bang in the picture, Max’ performance was even more impressive than Ortega’s recent effort.

Did you think Max deserved at 10-8 in rounds one or two? He hurt Volk badly several times. Volk did literally zero damage to Max for the entire fight. And yes I know the UFC scoring pretty much ignores damage per round (which is why guys like Bisping did well in the UFC) but there is a reason most people felt Max won.

Their first fight there was no doubt Max got beat but their second go around, Max forced Volk who stated multiple times leading up to the fight that he was going to "finish" Max to spam takedowns.

If Volk was catching up on the striking and won the first fight on his striking (which he did) why did he suddenly start wrestling?
Sure Volk's prefight talk didn't live up to his performance, hardly the first fighter to fail to back up his talk, but no absolutely neither the 1st or the 2nd were 10-8 rounds.

Hoping Ortega takes out the point fighting dwarf, but I'm not convinced a win over KZ means he's up for the job. Max is the class of that division, shame he got robbed in his last one.

?

2ysdKI7.jpg
Volk 3,4,5.

Volk has won 7/10 or 8/10 rounds of the duology, if that doesn't tell you who the better fighter is IDK what to say.

I still want to see a trilogy, because the second was damn close, and both are awesome fighters. I could watch them fight all day.

Back