Media Dustin Poirier on Gaethje's 254 performance: Tony made Justin look better than he is

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

• Dustin bet Khabib to win and Bet him to win by submission.
  • Mentions how surprised how of Justin's BJJ and position awareness on the ground, but says he has no room to talk because despite doing BJJ for a long time, he got beat by Khabib there too
  • Says Certain guys can't adjust their styles that much. Justin is the wrecking ball, not so much the matador.
  • Tony made Justin look a little better than he is honestly.
I'm glad people are realizing 2.0s aren't real.

Pettis almost beat him, imo.

But I still think he was elite and one of the best LW.
Pettis caught him with a clean shot. That’s really about it. Other than that he was outclassed. He got pressured and bullied the first round and got absolutely melted after dropping Tony in the 2nd. He didn’t have much to offer outside of that punch. Pettis was also coming off a fun fight with Dustin and wins over Charles and Chiesa and went on to KO Wonderboy in his next fight after losing to Tony. People tend to act like that version of Pettis was washed.

Last edited:
Tony really isn't as good as people make him out to be. Dustin, conor and possibly even hooker beat him. Wouldn't be surprised if Oliveira does too.

It’s his will and relentlessness that make him special, not that he dominates. Barboza was tuning him up too. But Tony grinds and grinds and grinds and usually finds a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in the armor.

Gaethje was (mostly) careful and he hits really hard.

There was always going to be revisionist history with Tony, but you don’t win that many fights in a row by accident. He was awesome. It remains to be seen whether he still is, but he was awesome.

Gaethje has made tons of Improvements. Him getting choked by khabib doesn't change that.
agreed, but I don't think its enough to beat the guys he's lost too. Maybe could beat eddie. Maybe. I think the improvements cause him to take less damage and beat tony. But that's about it. I don't think he beats dustin in a rematch. I don't think he beats conor. Use to think he could fuck up conors legs but I I don't buy that anymore.

Pettis almost beat him, imo.

But I still think he was elite and one of the best LW.
his superior will broke the vast majority of his opponents, definitely elite. physically he isnt anything special, just weird, which gives even more credence to the aforementioned.

I dont think Dustin respects Tony at all. I listened to him on a pod before the Gaethje/Ferg fight and he told the capper to bet money confidently on Gaethje to win.

agreed, but I don't think its enough to beat the guys he's lost too. Maybe could beat eddie. Maybe. I think the improvements cause him to take less damage and beat tony. But that's about it. I don't think he beats dustin in a rematch. I don't think he beats conor. Use to think he could fuck up conors legs but I I don't buy that anymore.

I don't know, I like his chances against most of these guys. Who do you pick to defeat conor in the top ten?

Dustin has a point, but it was a short notice fight. Tony that whole time maybe was mainly training for a wrestler/grappler but suddenly he got a brawler instead and bit of more than he could chew.

Tony was really good around 2 years ago, he's old now, and he's a light weight.

Justin beat a past it Tony, but he best him so badly, that it gives you reason to think he'd beat a prime Tony too.

Dustin was barely walking in the first fight and he almost lost to Hooker. I think it would be a war but Gaethje has a good chance in the rematch. I certainly favor Gaethje over Eddie. I don’t disagree with DP that Tony ended up being an ideal showcase for JG, but he’s still very good.

Tony was really good around 2 years ago, he's old now, and he's a light weight.

Justin beat a past it Tony, but he best him so badly, that it gives you reason to think he'd beat a prime Tony too.

Tony is *probably* past his very best, but in his two fights prior to Gaethje he put such a pace on Pettis and Cerrone that they eventually simply couldn’t continue. He also had that stupid extra weight cut in the mix, his corner was terrible, and Gaethje performed great. I think we need to see how his next fight or two goes before declaring that it’s over. Could he turn into Lawler and lose his next four or something? Sure. I’ve always thought it might end in a hurry for him. But he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Dustin was barely walking in the first fight and he almost lost to Hooker. I think it would be a war but Gaethje has a good chance in the rematch. I certainly favor Gaethje over Eddie. I don’t disagree with DP that Tony ended up being an ideal showcase for JG, but he’s still very good.
Yeah, he's still a top 5 fighter. He's just not better than the guys that beat him, IMO. But Gaethje beats everyone else, imo.

Do u think Justin can beat Chandler ?

Back