Tyson_GOAT_1200x1200.jpg

"They should give these guys some belts because these guys make boxing alive,"

"Boxing was pretty much a dying sport. The UFC was kicking our butt,"

"Boxing is going back thanks to the YouTube boxers."

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-tyson-youtube-boxers-saved-201103726.html

The glory days of boxing were something special

Some of Ali's best fights were watched live by half the world's population

I doubt any MMA fight ever reaches those heights

I remember one of my teachers telling me his whole school stopped classes to watch the Rumble in the Jungle, still blows my mind.

Yeah but these days are long gone and boxing pretty much dug its own grave. Nowadays the only real draw is Fury and even that cant hide the outdated buisness, broadcasting and championship models.

How much larger is the worlds population now compared to then though?
<BC1>

Not sure what point you're trying to make
About 8 Billion people on the planet now, would only take a quarter of the worlds population to outwatch some of Ali's best fights... If the "half the world" is even true.

Were does the 2 Billion watched Rumble in the Jungle come from anyway? Find that super hard to believe, I knew families without TV's in the 90's never mind the early 70's.

I just looked it up and Ali vs Spinks II was watched by 2 billion people live.

The world's population at the time was 4.2 billion.

Wtf...
No way that is true. You're right on the population it was 4.3 billion, but consider that a tiny percentage of people in populated countries like China, India, Indonesia, and Brazil had access to a tv at that time. Even if every single person in the U.S and Europe watched it you wouldn't have those numbers. I'm sure a lot of people watched it but that's a hype job. I'll believe that number when I believe that 80 million people voted for the crypt keeper.

Modern statistics of households with tvs which would have exponentially grown since the 70's

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268695/number-of-tv-households-worldwide/

About 8 Billion people on the planet now, would only take a quarter of the worlds population to outwatch some of Ali's best fights... If the "half the world" is even true.

Were does the 2 Billion watched Rumble in the Jungle come from anyway? Find that super hard to believe, I knew families without TV's in the 90's never mind the early 70's.
2 billion in the 70s means far more than 2 billion now, and still no MMA fight has come close to 2 billion.

I never claimed the Rumble in the Jungle was watched by 2 bil, but several of Ali's other fights were; feel free to do the research yourself.

No way that is true. You're right on the population it was 4.3 billion, but consider that a tiny percentage of people in populated countries like China, India, Indonesia, and Brazil had access to a tv at that time. Even if every single person in the U.S and Europe watched it you wouldn't have those numbers. I'm sure a lot of people watched it but that's a hype job. I'll believe that number when I believe that 80 million people voted for the crypt keeper.

Modern statistics of households with tvs which would have exponentially grown since the 70's

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268695/number-of-tv-households-worldwide/
Just look it up, and also multiple people can watch on one TV lol.

Two of Ali's fights reached the two bil mark

2 billion in the 70s means far more than 2 billion now, and still no MMA fight has come close to 2 billion.

I never claimed the Rumble in the Jungle was watched by 2 bil, but several of Ali's other fights were; feel free to do the research yourself.

Oh I know, I wasn't saying anything about UFC... Apparently it was estimated 1 Billion anyway after a quick google, so that's a Quarter of the Population not half.

Which fight has more views than Rumble in the Jungle? How do they even know these viewing figures? I can't find any sources at all other than the Rumble of the Jungle 1 Billion figure which seems weird anyway to say it had 50 Million PPV buys, how do you count the extra nine hundred fifty million people? Dodgy 70's streams LOL.

Oh I know, I wasn't saying anything about UFC... Apparently it was estimated 1 Billion anyway after a quick google, so that's a Quarter of the Population not half.

Which fight has more views than Rumble in the Jungle? How do they even know these viewing figures? I can't find any sources at all other than the Rumble of the Jungle 1 Billion figure which seems weird anyway to say it had 50 Million PPV buys, how do you count the extra nine hundred fifty million people?
Wikipedia told me Ali - Spinks II and Ali - Holmes were watched by 2 billion people each

People always claim the World Cup is watched by 3 bil+ people based on similarly arbitrary figures

Wikipedia told me Ali - Spinks II and Ali - Holmes were watched by 2 billion people each

People always claim the World Cup is watched by 3 bil+ people based on similarly arbitrary figures
That's wild, I just can't fathom that being true though.

How much easier is it to watch?

I would bet screens connected to the internet per capita is way highrr now than then..
Oh for sure, I don't know how you'd even try and calculate how many people have watched something now or in the 70's. Are illegal streams accounted for? I thought TV Viewing figures were heavily estimated now for the most part, can't imagine they were more accurate in the 70's.

Back