Hermansson vs Vettori. Who wins and how?

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think this is a much more competitive fight than Hermansson vs Holland. What are you guys predicting?

I'm going with the upset: Vettori via KO/TKO late in the fight or wins by decision. He doesn't seem to have one punch knockout power, but the accumulation of damage might seal the deal for him. Marvin has a very good output. Jack is very good, well rounded too, but I think Vettori gets it done here... IMO, has a lot more potential to maybe one day challenge for the title.

Marvin is very underrated because of his draw against Akhmedov, but I believe he has improved a lot since then and trains with a great group of fighters at Kings MMA. Looked amazing in his last fight too.

Downside for the italian: very short notice fight.

I'm thinking jack takes a decision 49-46. Close fight, but I think Jack has a big grappling advantage and on the feet it's close. Jack just has more ways to win.

Tough fight to call, but I do kind of feel like Vetorri will get the win. No easy task however.

I'm thinking Joker by UD or sub. The opponent change imo really doesn't matter that much

I'm thinking Joker by UD or sub. The opponent change imo really doesn't matter that much

He just had a full camp for a southpaw striker with good TDD in Gastelum, then the first half of this camp he was preparing for a good southpaw striker in Till, so I think he'll be prepared for a southpaw like Vettori.

Also, I've never seen vettori really hurt someone on the feet, so it' unlikely that he'll out grapple jack and it's unlikely he knocks jack out. Can he out point jack on the feet for three or more rounds? I'm not sure, that will be hard to do considering jack's pace and high workrate. I think this fight favors jack a bit stylistically

Last edited:
I feel like Marvin has more tools to challenge Jack than Kevin did (at least in the grappling department)... but ultimately I favor the Joker by Decision or sub. If it's the latter, I envision a sequence in which Jack remains patient and circles the cage, sticking Marvin with that stiff jab of his -- maybe even doubling up on it -- until Vettori gets frustrated and tries to push the action by forcing a clinch or shooting for a takedown. Joker reverses him and after a beautiful series of scrambles from both, Marv ends up on the wrong end of the grappling exchange and gets tapped. This situation could also end in a GnP TKO if Marv stubbornly defends his neck and limbs, a la Glover-Lionheart.

Now to play Devil's advocate against myself and discuss Marvin's routes to victory.

Vettori doesn't have monstrous power in his hands and Joker has only been finished by strikes twice -- by Thiago Santos (body kick followed by a barrage of punches) and of course Jared Cannonier. If Vettori wins, I think it's going to be by Decision in which he controls the kickboxing exchanges by stifling/countering Jack's jab one way or another. Hermansson relies heavily on his jab to set up his entire arsenal, both standup and grappling. Many of the fights he lost back in the day were fights in which he wasn't able to establish the jab and build momentum off it.

The last time Hermansson was submitted was in 2016 against Cezar Ferreira. While Vettori's BJJ game is plenty dangerous and he has 9 wins by submission on his record, I feel like Hermansson's defensive grappling would hold up enough to keep him from getting finished on the mat, making it more likely that Marvin focuses on a positional control meta and scoring points... though there's always a live chance of him snatching something up, which would be quite a feather in his cap. This is assuming he somehow manages to dominate Jack on the ground in the first place -- which is seriously putting the cart before the horse, to say the least.

Also worth noting that stylistically in many ways I feel the change of opponents suits Marv better than Jack. We'll see, though. I'm still favoring Hermansson, but only by a slight margin. 60/40 at the very most.

Last edited:
Good fight actually.
Herm by sub,
but IDK who is better standing, maybe MV
I like this fight more than vs Holland.

Probably my most anticipated fight left in 2020. Such an awesome match up. I'm leaning Vettori, unless Jack Kelvins Marvin's ass quick.

Hard not to take Hermansson here. Bettors looks good no doubt, but I have a hard time picking him gain at a proven top five guy when really he’s only crushed cans with more physique than technique and Hermansson has proven to be an effective wrestler-grappler who can also out-hustle dangerous strikers on the feet for 15-25 minutes.

Picking the 55% favorite, to upset the 45% underdog.

We might have a first ever here.

Vettori isnt that good. Hes alright. Dude should have a loss to Omari. Stylistically I seeJack winning everywhere the fight goes and maybe he gets a sub or GNP stoppage late. Vettori is tough but open

Got Vettori by decision. He's relentless and seems to be hitting his stride. Didn't know who he was until he fought Adesanya but I've watched all his fights since. He reminds me of a better Rick Story.

I think this is a much more competitive fight than Hermansson vs Holland. What are you guys predicting?

I'm going with the upset: Vettori via KO/TKO late in the fight or wins by decision. He doesn't seem to have one punch knockout power, but the accumulation of damage might seal the deal for him. Marvin has a very good output. Jack is very good, well rounded too, but I think Vettori gets it done here... IMO, has a lot more potential to maybe one day challenge for the title.

Marvin is very underrated because of his draw against Akhmedov, but I believe he has improved a lot since then and trains with a great group of fighters at Kings MMA. Looked amazing in his last fight too.

Downside for the italian: very short notice fight.
Vettori is the favorite lol
I'm thinking jack takes a decision 49-46. Close fight, but I think Jack has a big grappling advantage and on the feet it's close. Jack just has more ways to win.
Jack is the better grappler but not by much

Back