UFC HW 01-06

BowserJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Who ended up being the best of that era?

Top fighters in that time frame

Josh Barnett
Andrei Arlovski
Tim Sylvia
Randy Couture
Ricco Rodriguez
Redrock Rizzo
Frank Mir

Probably Tim Sylvia specifically in that time frame, cause Randy went down to LHW and Mir had the motorcycle accident. Without the accident I genuinely feel Mir would've run that era in the UFC.

Who ended up being the best of that era?

Top fighters in that time frame

Josh Barnett
Andrei Arlovski
Tim Sylvia
Randy Couture
Ricco Rodriguez
Redrock Rizzo
Frank Mir

I think Andrei is the best out of that bunch.

Pretty clearly Barnett had the best career of those guys, wins over Nog, Aleks, Randy, Semmy x 2, Hunt, etc

The UFC HW division in the earlier years of the 00's wasnt actually that bad, it was more by the middle of the decade it started to become thin outside of Arlovski, Sylvia and Randy losing guys like Barnett, Semmy and Rizzo to Japan plus Mir being sidelined though injury.

Barnett, but he went to PRIDE. Mir was probably the best one after Barnett left, wish he'd have faced Barnett in that time frame. I could see Couture edging a win against Mir tho, hard to tell.

Arlovski is a weird one. Him losing to Timmy will always make me question how good he would have fared against the top fighters of that era. Timmy is somewhat underrated tho because of his looks.

Probably Tim Sylvia specifically in that time frame, cause Randy went down to LHW and Mir had the motorcycle accident. Without the accident I genuinely feel Mir would've run that era in the UFC.

I agree on Mir, he had one scary skillset that was beyond most HW's at the time.

I think it is hard to include Randy because he was really a LHW who sometimes showed up in HW with the right matchups.

I agree on Mir, he had one scary skillset that was beyond most HW's at the time.

I think it is hard to include Randy because he was really a LHW who sometimes showed up in HW with the right matchups.

Personally I think Mir was always too flaky to ever be amoung the very best long term, the way he lost to Freeman before his injury for example.

Without the injury I would have picked Arlovski to beat Mir and indeed I would also have picked that Arlovski to pickup Mir's latter wins over a declined Nog and Lesnar.

Barnet has the best resume. He also probably tested positive more than anyone in mma ever. The only guy to outdo Jones lol

Damn I didn't know about the lifetime ban
What a shame, he has 0 KO power but the guy is really talented

Although really I'm not sure how relevant it is to his career at that stage, quite likely he would have been back to fighting in Russia/eastern europe anyway.

None of them defended the belt the 3 times like Stipe did

Barnett, but he went to PRIDE. Mir was probably the best one after Barnett left, wish he'd have faced Barnett in that time frame.

Im still so so salty about their fight not even hitting the mat.

Although really I'm not sure how relevant it is to his career at that stage, quite likely he would have been back to fighting in Russia/eastern europe anyway.

His a heavyweight so 34 should be prime (I admit towards the end of it, it is the age the decline isn't far away). However he was 29 in the UFC on a 3 fight win steak when the first positive came, at that point he certainly looked like he could make some noise and was a good age to make the run.

Fuck. I dont know.

Mir submitting and tkoing nog is awesome, but not in that era.

Sylvias fat ass just used his reach and taught us all how boring that shit could be, while appearing awful.

Couture did limited great things, so it maybe him.

Rizzo and ricardo werent that active and andrei showed his chin for the first time against a dull sylvia, only to lead to a HORRIBLE 3rd fight.

Kind of a shitty time. In all honestly, it seemed liked the HW goat status was always up for grabs in ufc and looking back, they could be "can-y." Meanwhile, fedor was doing nutzy shit over in pride.

Back