Media Mayweather: "This dude's (Conor) punches are so light!" (VIDEO ADDED)

kuroro

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I believe he said this in a remote interview with Stephen A. Smith [edit: it was actually Shannon Sharpe]. Can someone find it? His point was that he will never take a boxing match against another boxer again to protect his health, and will now only box MMA fighters.

Anyways, I just think it's ironic that Mayweather has this reputation as a light puncher in boxing, and Conor has this reputation as a super power puncher in MMA, but in reality, Conor is a much lighter puncher than an elite boxer.

Thank you to @Dragonfly7814 for finding the video (timestamp is 1:30):

Last edited:
Floyd could literally put his arms down at his sides and let Khabib throw as hard as he can and just eat all the shots. I doubt Khabib could even hurt him with GNP since his punches are so relatively light, his only path to victory would be a sub.

I believe he said this in a remote interview with Stephen A. Smith. Can someone find it? His point was that he will never take a boxing match against another boxer again to protect his health, and will now only box MMA fighters.

Anyways, I just think it's ironic that Mayweather has this reputation as a light puncher in boxing, and Conor has this reputation as a super power puncher in MMA, but in reality, Conor is a much lighter puncher than an elite boxer.

Floyd had great punching power early on before his hand injuries.

Boop!

UnripeHoarseAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

I believe he said this in a remote interview with Stephen A. Smith. Can someone find it? His point was that he will never take a boxing match against another boxer again to protect his health, and will now only box MMA fighters.

1st round Conor hits very hard. But...Conor tires fast. When he was finally landing punches on Khabib in round 3 of their fight,they were weak punches,and Khabib shrugged them off.

If Conor came into boxing first,and was conditioned to go 12 rounds,he would adapt his style to that,and not be as flashy as he is in MMA

and furthermore,they use smaller gloves in MMA,so its much more difficult to defend against strikes.

I mean, I'm not a Conor fan by any means, but he boxed the best defensive boxer of all time with 0 pro fights in his record. Of course he couldn't load up or land clean in almost the entire fight, and by the end he was gassed, it doesn't mean he doesn't have power for his weightclass when he isn't gassed.

Also, lol @ the idea that Floyd's statement by itself is some sort of proof. What do you expect him to say?

I mean, I'm not a Conor fan by any means, but he boxed the best defensive boxer of all time with 0 pro fights in his record. Of course he couldn't load up or land clean in almost the entire fight, and by the end he was gassed, it doesn't mean he doesn't have power for his weightclass when he isn't gassed.

Also, lol @ the idea that Floyd's statement by itself is some sort of proof. What do you expect him to say?
Pretty much this.
If Conor had won,hed be saying something like that about Floyd,regardless of wether its true or not.

He will "box" MMA fighters but not fight them.
Mayweather's boxing career is esentially over. Whatever game he was playing,he has won it. Now he is just seeing what easy paydays are out there where he dont break a sweat. Hes in his forties.The blame should fall on the MMA promotions that allow this to take place.

It's the gloves too, extra weight and they are used to fighting 12 round fights with them on. Boxers will have harder punches overall, it's what they spend their life doing. Not to say that mma fighters don't punch hard, but overall the boxers will have harder punchers than mma fighters due to their training and technique. Their punches are just sharper and more compact.

I've sparred with both and boxers punches are a lot heavier. Boxing timing, combinations, patterns, volume, footwork, angles, etc is all different. Just look up the sparring session from Lomachenko and TJ Dillashaw, he says the timing/angles is different as well in post sparring interview.

Last edited:
It's the gloves too, extra weight and they are used to fighting 12 round fights with them on. Boxers will have harder punches overall, it's what they spend their life doing. Not to say that mma fighters don't punch hard, but overall the boxers will have harder punchers than mma fighters due to their training and technique. Their punches are just sharper and more compact. I've sparred with both and boxers punches are a lot heavier.
I agree. Thats just the nature of the training and the gloves. But it really irks me that alot of these so called mma fans love to shit on MMA because of that. As if MMA fighter should be better boxers than boxers,and its funny that they arent.

Yup, perspective is everything and course narrative. Conor did a fine job considering the exceptional skills of Floyd.

Everything else is jus Blah, Blah, Blah...
Yeah he didnt embarass himself,considering the circumstances. Ive seen professional boxers look much worse than Conor did that night.

I agree. Thats just the nature of the training and the gloves. But it really irks me that alot of these so called mma fans love to shit on MMA because of that. As if MMA fighter should be better boxers than boxers,and its funny that they arent.
A lot of mma fighters train with pro boxing trainers/coaches and spar with pro boxers to up their game. More fighters can do the same. I think it's just a lack of the training and experience with high level boxers/boxing trainers. GSP was the first one to use an effective jab in mma after training with Roach over at Wild Card. Everyone before that thought a jab wouldn't work in mma and it only works in boxing.

Mayweather's boxing career is esentially over. Whatever game he was playing,he has won it. Now he is just seeing what easy paydays are out there where he dont break a sweat. Hes in his forties.The blame should fall on the MMA promotions that allow this to take place.

This right here^

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Back