UFC just torpedos whoever they want to a Title Shot, Rankings be damned

PulsingJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Khamzat is 3-0 in the UFC against cans, and now he is facing Leon, who is arguably the #1 contender. Meaning he'll get a title shot next.

While fighters like Khabib had to string massive 10 fight dominant winstreaks before sniffing the title.

Next time someone says Title Defenses are the only metric for greatness, remind them that the path to the title matters just as much

Khamzat is 3-0 in the UFC against cans, and now he is facing Leon, who is arguably the #1 contender. Meaning he'll get a title shot next.

While fighters like Khabib had to string massive 10 fight dominant winstreaks before sniffing the title.

Next time someone says Title Defenses are the only metric for greatness, remind them that the path to the title matters just as much

While I agree in theory has it occurred to you that some fighters and their management dont' want a title shot right away?

There is value in building up experience against progressively tougher fighters and building a fan base that will put asses in seats.

Khabib was can crushing in Russia before he came to the UFC. Perhaps he and his management wanted a paced development.

Unless you can show me video of him calling for a title shot or top 5 fighter after beating Thiago Taveres?

They extorted Edwards into taking the fight. They removed him from the rankings entirely. The second he agrees, he’s magically reinserted back at number 3. That’s some really shady shit.

I like Borz, but because of this BS. I’m really hoping Edwards wins. Borz just skipped over the entire roster except 3 guys. That ain’t right.

I like this torpedoing tbh.

I hate boxing feeding peoples can approach.

You want a title shot go beat up some guys and ask for one.

Rankings were never a thing in the UFC and never will be one. Tourney style is only legit thing but people dont like it so deal with it.

Didn't Leon lose his ranking due to inactivity? I think this is just a matchup of guys that no one else wants to fight

Wait you kinda make the counterpoint to your argument in the op.

You are assuming Khamzat beats Leon (who's actually not ranked and was number 3# and arguably should have been closer to #5). If he beats leon and leon is #1 as you contend, didn't he just earn the title shot?

And isn't it good, if he has the talent to beat #1, that he be matched up against #1?

My bias is with you by the way. I usually post threads about this where I say there needs to be more objectivity in the rankings and matchmaking should be based off the rankings. But I don't have a problem with Khamzat. I think objective rankings would propel him to get a top 5, top 10 opponent next if he wants it, given the way he's dramatically won and how active he's been.

IDK bro.

Why do ppl take the rankings so seriously? Maybe it’s the casuals but I’m used to watching mma without rankings. I don’t even look at the UFC’s.

At least wait until he gets a title shot to start complaining.

i mean zabit showed up and styled on everyone until he got to top 5 where he met some resistance. some guys have had alot of undocumented fight experience. its pretty clear chamaev, even in his first two fights, had some high level skills and looked very polished.

While I agree in theory has it occurred to you that some fighters and their management dont' want a title shot right away?

There is value in building up experience against progressively tougher fighters and building a fan base that will put asses in seats.

Khabib was can crushing in Russia before he came to the UFC. Perhaps he and his management wanted a paced development.

Unless you can show me video of him calling for a title shot or top 5 fighter after beating Thiago Taveres?
how many of your favorite fighters lost to cans coming up? i rather a can crusher than a fucking loser that lost to one

It's like the TS hasn't been watching UFC the last 20 years?

Wasn't Leon sitting on the sidelines because he's so valuable they will come on bended knee?

To be fair, I think the reason Khamzat is being skyrocketed to the top like this is because Khabib had to string together a big winstreak. Khabib is a draw now, probably one of their top 3 or 4 draws, why put Khamzat in vanilla matchups when you can get him straight into that title picture?

If khamzat wins its proof he’s worthy of a shot screw the rankings

how many of your favorite fighters lost to cans coming up? i rather a can crusher than a fucking loser that lost to one

Robert Whittaker? Court McGee...

Anthony Pettis? Clay Guida....

etc.

Welcome to prize fighting

The belt and rankings are gimmicks.

Rankings DO matter.....for like 99% of the athletes. For that 1% that can bring heat and garner the sort of hype that propel them to (relative) stardom - inside the octagon, outside the octagon - exceptions will be made. Regularly.

Most of these guys and girls will never sniff a title shot unless they prove themselves in the cage over a number of fights, against increasingly tough competition. Someone like Michael Chiesa will never be gifted a title shot. He'll have to beat people ranked ahead of him, and so thus the rankings matter - ALOT. It's just that they are not the ultimate arbiter for every fighter.

That’s what happens when you’re willing to fight 3 times a month

Back