Agree or Disagree, Weight Cuts...

Arrrrgh

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
With Khabib looking like he did.
First, he's a professional for showing up on weight. He's had issues in the past but he took care of business. This is not a criticism of Khabib at all. He's one of my favorite fighters. ***EDIT Thank at @Dirge and @VVarhead for bringing to my attention controversy surrounding the weigh-in.

That said, it looks very unhealthy to reach the state he was in today to make weight. Which means he cut a lot. Perhaps he did it the best way possible, we can hope. But it still looked unhealthy. So why? So he can show up in the cage as big as possible because that is what he should expect his opponent to do--do everything he can to win.

So, do you agree or disagree:
I think we should change the rules so weigh-ins don't encourage unhealthy behavior.

Edit** dunno how to add a poll or I would.

I'm not offering a solution. I don't know the right way to approach weight cuts (maybe the way ONE does it, maybe some new way) but the idea is to have the fighters weigh roughly the same when the step in the cage. Certainly there is a way to do that which is healthier.

Last edited:
Yes I would prefer to end systemic extreme weight cutting. This fight at 170 would be most excellent.

But CSAC tried, hoping others would get on board with them, and no one cared.

If no one cares, it won’t happen until someone dies (if even then.)

I applaud CSAC for attempting to make a positive change in the sport.

Yes I would prefer to end systemic extreme weight cutting. This fight at 170 would be most excellent.

But CSAC tried, hoping others would get on board with them, and no one cared.

If no one cares, it won’t happen until someone dies (if even then.)

I applaud CSAC for attempting to make a positive change in the sport.
I don't know what CSAC did.
I'll google up on it later.

I agree having the weigh-in just before the fights would make certain you fight pretty much at the same weight you walk around and train it. It would be a problem for guys who like to party and put on a lot of weight, and should stop people who are weighing in at least one division lighter than what they weigh in the ring at fight time. Nobody would want to lose 20lbs and then fight in the next hour.

I agree with you TS.
  1. Have weightclasses
  2. Have fighters get their hydration levels tested frequently before the fight and have the fighters fight fully hydrated at the exact same weight or within a very small difference in weight.
It really is that simple.
1PEw.gif

Don't care for weight cutting honestly but as long as it's part of the game and fighters make the weights...

Change the rules.

If you can't make the weight, stop killing yourself to make it.

Go up to welterweight and fight the big boys, these guys are doing it to themselves. a lot of the guys who go up in weight actually get better fight results when they aren't draining their bodies half to death. Stop eating yourself up 30+lbs above your weight class, then complain when the cut is rough.

With Khabib looking like he did.
First, he's a professional for showing up on weight. He's had issues in the past but he took care of business. This is not a criticism of Khabib at all. He's one of my favorite fighters.

That said, it looks very unhealthy to reach the state he was in today to make weight. Which means he cut a lot. Perhaps he did it the best way possible, we can hope. But it still looked unhealthy. So why? So he can show up in the cage as big as possible because that is what he should expect his opponent to do--do everything he can to win.

So, do you agree or disagree:
I think we should change the rules so weigh-ins don't encourage unhealthy behavior.

I'm not offering a solution. I don't know the right way to approach weight cuts (maybe the way ONE does it, maybe some new way) but the idea is to have the fighters weigh roughly the same when the step in the cage. Certainly there is a way to do that which is healthier.

Its because there pussys that need every advantage they can get because there not good enough..

Watch when chandler gets smoked then notice how small chandler is compared to the ufc light weights.. Lol.

People think hes a threat. Reality is dana only wanted him to make bellator look bad.. Yeah hel pay him good for his first fight then say well after that loss youre getting this now..

You havent won a fight here... Dont argue prove youreself he will endup in the top 15 next year

Weight cutting adds some excitement.

But i agree its crap. Weigh in should be 1 hour before the fight period.
Well there's arguments against that which is why i didn't offer a solution.
I just want to know if people agree it should be changed from its current format.

1hour before the fight could easily cause guys to miss weight. My hydration levels fluctuate about 10lbs from day to night sometimes. That's a full weight class. Sometimes it's not so regular even when keeping a regular diet and activity levels (other unknowns, perhaps stress or minor asymptomatic illness or otherwise)... My point is we don't want a fight cancelled an hour before hand after all the butts are in the seats even if a fighter wasn't a professional, but even more when they are factors out of their control... That's bad business. Fans would be very upset. And it would happen a lot.

I like the rules they had in place when I was wrestling.
You got weighed early in the season. They gave you a body fat analysis and hydration tests.
They would use that data to calculate what your lowest weight class could be.

It seems like it would make sense to me if they did a test like this when you get your MMA license.
You could apply to have it updated if you do change your overall body mass.

People are still going to try to maximize by getting their muscle mass down before the test and bulking back up after the test, so it won't be perfect, but I think it will discourage some of the craziest cutting.

I don't know what CSAC did.
I'll google up on it later.
Cliffs:
  • Created a 10 point plan
  • Started weighing fighters on fight night
  • Hoped for a 10% max weight gain. Figured few fighters were cutting that much.
  • Found out half of all fighters gain 10%, now that number is unreasonable
  • Continued studying the issue
  • No other state joined them.
  • Aspen Ladd forced them to act when she looked so awful at weigh-in. Her weight gain was 18% IIRC.
  • They decided about 15% is a good cutoff. But that included Costa who was 14.9% (but didn’t include Romero who was 14.2%).
  • So everyone above 14.9% was warned that they wouldn’t be able to get another fight at that weight in CA unless they proved they could safely (whatever that means).
  • So Costa fought elsewhere.
  • Still no other states joined them.
  • Without broader support, plan will eventually die

Last edited:
If you can't make the weight, stop killing yourself to make it.

Go up to welterweight and fight the big boys, these guys are doing it to themselves. a lot of the guys who go up in weight actually get better fight results when they aren't draining their bodies half to death.
That is easy to say, but most fighters at WW are cutting down from MW and so on, the problem is the system.

Its because there pussys that need every advantage they can get because there not good enough..

Watch when chandler gets smoked then notice how small chandler is compared to the ufc light weights.. Lol.

People think hes a threat. Reality is dana only wanted him to make bellator look bad.. Yeah hel pay him good for his first fight then say well after that loss youre getting this now..

You havent won a fight here... Dont argue prove youreself he will endup in the top 15 next year
Yeah I don't agree with that at all. Fighters didn't make the weigh-in rules. It would be stupid not to do everything you can to prepare to win the fight under the rules. Maybe not stupid but you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage unnecessarily.

This isn't about people being pussies. That's just flawed logic.

Plus calling a guy who steps in a cage to fight for a living a "pussy" is pretty silly. Relative to you and I, pussy he is not.

Maybe I just don’t know enough but I always thought it was dumb to completely drain your body for for days before you compete in any sporting event.

Back