Media Khabib's cage wrestling: Making you feel safe when you're not.

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Khabib throws a strike while moving his head, positioning up and across the body. This opens up space for Al to lock into the underhook, forcing him to stand up straight. As soon as Khabib feels it lock in, he begins to angle away and throw on the body-lock. Al keeps a wide base while lowering himself a bit to keep his hips lower than Khabib’s (a defense to prevent Khabib from lifting easily), but Khabib can then shuffle to the outside and use the outside trip with ease.

Iaquinta attempts to use an extremely shallow underhook + grip-fighting as a defense, looking to control Khabib’s wrist to prevent the bodylock. Once again, Khabib is at an angle towards his own underhook before stepping into his single leg lift and sweeping the right leg of Iaquinta out.

McGregor looks to break Khabib’s posture by pushing down on his head, hoping that Khabib will not have enough drive to move to the bodylock or double leg. Khabib simply moves to the single leg, and McGregor is too late on any sort of grip-fighting defense. Khabib finishes it with the lift and dump.

Khabib’s step-in and lift feint draws McGregor’s handfight and circle away defense, which Khabib corrals into an outside trip, leaving him in a dominant position.

Read more at the fightsite : https://www.thefight-site.com/home/ufc-254-khabib-nurmagomedov-cage-wrestling

I still find it unbelievable how strong he must be to dominate every other guy in the octagon. Is he simply stronger, or do you guys think it's Khabibs technique that makes his wrestling so powerfull?

I still find it unbelievable how strong he must be to dominate every other guy in the octagon. Is he simply stronger, or do you guys think it's Khabibs technique that makes his wrestling so powerfull?

as the article said:

“But he’s just so - his balance and weight distribution against the fence, when he’s on top, is so strong. Physically, he didn’t feel overwhelming. I’ve fought guys that are stronger than him. But skill-wise and balance-wise it felt really good.” - Dustin Poirier on Khabib Nurmagomedov after UFC 242.

I've heard many fighters echo the same sentiment. He's not beating people with raw strength, but rather technique and he has a strong grip.

as the article said:

“But he’s just so - his balance and weight distribution against the fence, when he’s on top, is so strong. Physically, he didn’t feel overwhelming. I’ve fought guys that are stronger than him. But skill-wise and balance-wise it felt really good.” - Dustin Poirier on Khabib Nurmagomedov after UFC 242.

I've heard many fighters echo the same sentiment. He's not beating people with raw strength, but rather technique and he has a strong grip.
Thanks! I really wonder what Justin is gonna try saturday. Feels like he should be a pretty big underdog tbh.

Thanks! I really wonder what Justin is gonna try saturday. Feels like he should be a pretty big underdog tbh.
Same. I wonder if gaethje's against the fence, what will he do.

I think the site is back to normal now. Let's see.

Same. I wonder if gaethje's against the fence, what will he do.

Qu_GZsgS2rVouk1gWBTin5wBUcgItdarWtKotH7x2funN6uqaxJcuSYpKCaUXL1su0AcFynzsOD9JR6GIWkXWooegj7kuT3YZYSmMcI79KDsGtjxoPhVFB3IRBP1qATiTfWwW4hAp3I3x42wba8C9ZbVKq0_j12gd90

Fighters are too used to opponents just looking for a single leg against the cage or underhooks, Khabib varies his attack so much its much harder to adjust.

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter so dominant that arguably winning a round against them is a massive achievement.

A lifetime of training the same stuff will make a person formidable at whatever they do. Also have you seen Khabib’s back? Dudes built like a ninja turtle

Gaethje must chop away at Khabib's legs all the while avoiding takedowns. Also...I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaethje do something he doesn't do much...which is some flying knees here and there. Who knows. Gaethje must compromise Khabib's legs.

Gaethje must chop away at Khabib's legs all the while avoiding takedowns. Also...I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaethje do something he doesn't do much...which is some flying knees here and there. Who knows. Gaethje must compromise Khabib's legs.

The problem I';d say though is Gaethje tends to throw his lowkicks during close in aggressive exchanges and I'm not sure Khabib will give him those openings.

He's not really someone who controls distance and stings an opponent with lowkicks from maximum range on the outside.

Poirier claimed Habib wasnt that strong at all. Like he fought much stronger opponents he said. It was the pressure combined with weight balance and skill that overwhelmed him.

Back