Prime vs Prime who wins, Gaethje or BJ Penn?

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Was rewatching Gaethje vs Ferguson earlier this week and this matchup crossed my mind.

Would probably slightly favor Gaethje because of the evolution of the game and recensy bias, however BJ was ahead of his time when he was at his best. He also wouldn't be undersized vs Gaethje as they are relatively close in size.

BJ had great boxing, an amazing jab, takedown defense, and top tier bjj.
Gaethje has the power, conditioning, a more modern game, toughness, grit, and wrestling.
I think regardless of who won it would be an absolute war!

Who takes it?

Was rewatching Gaethje vs Ferguson earlier this week and this matchup crossed my mind.

Would probably slightly favor Gaethje because of the evolution of the game and recensy bias, however BJ was ahead of his time when he was at his best. He also wouldn't be undersized vs Gaethje as they are relatively close in size.

Gaethje has the power, conditioning, a more modern game, toughness, grit, and wrestling.

Who takes it?
Prime Penn would light Gaethje the fuck up and strangle him. Gaethje likes walking forward with no defense and prime Penn had super crisp boxing and lightning fast hands. Prime Penn via RNC round 1 easily

BJ's cardio has always been suspect. He would lull a 5 round fight with you throwing jabs if you let him.

Someone who pushes the pace like Gaethje would run thru him just like Edgar did.

Who takes it?
prime bj would outbox him and knock him out

Prime BJ bloodies his face, chokes him out, and then licks the blood off his gloves again. Gross...

Gaethje beats any version of Penn, for two reasons:

1. Prime Penn's best victories were over skilled yet largely one-dimensional opponents (Hughes, Sanchez, Stevenson, Sherk), or against guys that he could easily out-compete on an athletic level (Florian, Pulver). Gaethje is much more multi-dimensional and athletic, so Prime Penn won't have his normal advantages.

2. Related to the 1st, Prime Penn is ALWAYS a frontrunner. Whenever he couldn't press his advantages and set the tone early in the fight, he always lost. Gaethje might be jabbed up early, but as soon as his kicks start landing, Penn would slowly wilt and quit.

Gaethje is a much better kicker than GSP and kicks harder as well. Would have been a great fight prime vs prime though. I could see if people pick BJ too.
ok so then how about prime matt serra vs gaethje? hahaha

Who takes it?
BJ had toughness and grit too. He fought so many times including bigger opponents until he was stopped.

Gaethje beats any version of Penn, for two reasons:

1. Prime Penn's best victories were over skilled yet largely one-dimensional opponents (Hughes, Sanchez, Stevenson, Sherk), or against guys that he could easily out-compete on an athletic level (Florian, Pulver). Gaethje is much more multi-dimensional and athletic, so Prime Penn won't have his normal advantages.

2. Related to the 1st, Prime Penn is ALWAYS a frontrunner. Whenever he couldn't press his advantages and set the tone early in the fight, he always lost. Gaethje might be jabbed up early, but as soon as his kicks start landing, Penn would slowly wilt and quit.
I tend to think this is how it would go as well.
Not sure BJ has the capabilities to finish Justin, especially early when he would have his best chance.

Reactions: G10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back