International 414 million pieces of plastic found on remote Australian island

Usually it's related to other countries shipping recycling and garbage there.

Disturbing how relevant shows like Futurama, South Park, and The Wire are when they're old (Futurama/The Wire) or from the old episodes.

Gotcha. So is it the garbage from the developed world that is shipped there then ends up in the rivers when they "recycle" it? It doesn't exactly absolve them of blame, but it does certainly put the spotlight on us in the developed world for basically paying someone to make us feel good and kick the can down the road for us.

I don't suppose you have any sources on this?

On mobile so just a couple of the first ones.
http://www.atchuup.com/countries-used-as-dumping-grounds-of-worlds-trash/

https://www.wired.com/story/the-worlds-recycling-is-in-chaos-heres-what-has-to-happen/

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...countries-china-ban-thailand-malaysia-vietnam

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...stic-waste-to-poor-countires-just-got-harder/

I highly doubt they counted 44,000,000 of anything. Thats a lot of hours of counting for a very large group of people.

Really loved this part "Much of the rubbish was single-use consumer items such as bottle caps, straws, shoes and sandals" They list 4 items. 2 of them not what they claim they are. How useless is the media that they make a statement like most of it being single use items and then get half of what its in their list wrong...

I come here looking for the word conservatives or right winger in the OP.
I leave satisfied in a creepy way.

We have a huge issue with plastic waste ending up in the ocean. It's no good finger wagging at people on the opposite side of the political spectrum. The entire world are aware and no one is doing fuck all about it.

will go dump a few canisters of oil into the ocean as a protest against plastic usage

Gotcha. So is it the garbage from the developed world that is shipped there then ends up in the rivers when they "recycle" it? It doesn't exactly absolve them of blame, but it does certainly put the spotlight on us in the developed world for basically paying someone to make us feel good and kick the can down the road for us.

I don't suppose you have any sources on this?
THere's a pretty big conversation going on right now because China is starting to refuse accepting our recyclable waste.

It is China.

It's not just China, though they are far and away the biggest part of the problem. But the other top polluters with plastics are all Asian economies, Vietnam, etc.
Anyone not willing to put the blame where it belongs is not taking a serious approach to fixing the issue.

The US certainly does it’s share of fucking up in this and should do better.

Do you have a source on how much plastic pollution is from the US? We do much less than our share from what I'm reading.

Agreed, as does the rest of North America.

We should be leading by example.

We do lead by example in this area. What exactly are you complaining about? In the US, unlike most major Asian and African countries, it has long been illegal to dump plastics in rivers and allow them to flow into the sea. Europe and the Americas together make up less than ten percent of total plastic pollution, and that figure seems to be decreasing.

In North America, less than 1% of plastic waste is mismanaged, meaning dumped into rivers, the ocean, or open landfills. The number for Europe (including parts of Asian Russia) is between three and four percent. For most of the resit of the world the figures are between 8-10%. East Asia, well over half of all plastic waste is improperly disposed of. If you want to talk about islands and mountains of plastic, East Asia is almost the entirety of the problem, with a bit of help from Egypt and central Africa.

Last edited:
Do you have a source on how much plastic pollution is from the US? We do much less than our share from what I'm reading.

We do lead by example in this area. What exactly are you complaining about? In the US, unlike most major Asian and African countries, it has long been illegal to dump plastics in rivers and allow them to flow into the sea. Europe and the Americas together make up less than ten percent of total plastic pollution, and that figure seems to be decreasing.

No I don’t but I know we are trying to control this but we can always do better.

The only solution to this problem is to switch over to "little paper little drink box water bottle little sort of things".

It's not just China, though they are far and away the biggest part of the problem. But the other top polluters with plastics are all Asian economies, Vietnam, etc.
Anyone not willing to put the blame where it belongs is not taking a serious approach to fixing the issue.

White liberals will always blame America for everything. You are correct though, those Asian countries literally dump their plastic and garbage straight into the ocean. China polluted and destroyed much of its own country.

We need to bioengineer fish that can eat plastic

In North America, less than 1% of plastic waste is mismanaged, meaning dumped into rivers, the ocean, or open landfills. The number for Europe (including parts of Asian Russia) is between three and four percent. For most of the resit of the world the figures are between 8-10%. East Asia, well over half of all plastic waste is improperly disposed of. If you want to talk about islands and mountains of plastic, East Asia is almost the entirety of the problem, with a bit of help from Egypt and central Africa.

Three is really no reason we need things like plastic straws, plastic cutlery, plates, and the gazillion other things made of plastic that are thrown away everyday.

Same with packaging.

We know better and are just being lazy.

People becoming extinct is about the only hope Earth has, I’m praying..

Back