The MW division has gotten worse; prime GSP would've run through these guys

ColbyCovChamp

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I mean seriously, who in the top 10 would you pick to beat prime GSP?

No ground game Israel?
No cardio Romero?
No technique Costa?
No chin Whittaker?
No wrestling Cannonier?
No striking Jack?
No anything Brunson?

Prime GSP was the best fighter ever and would destroy these guys despite the size difference

I don’t think it’s necessarily gotten worse, I just think it’s anemic on elite MMA grapplers.

More like the MW division now has very few elite grapplers / wrestlers, and Romero doesn't wrestle anymore (probably because of his gas tank)

I don’t think it’s necessarily gotten worse, I just think it’s anemic on elite MMA grapplers.

It is weird how WW always has so many elite wrestlers. But none at LW (besides Khabib) or MW atm.

And GSP is as elite as it comes in that area

Im not disagreeing with that. GSP is one of the gold standards in the sport when it comes to grappling.

However there’s a pretty big size disparity between him and some of the top guys in the division. I think he matches up well with a lot of them, but then you have guys like Romero who imo would be a nightmare for GSP imo.

Im not disagreeing with that. GSP is one of the gold standards in the sport when it comes to grappling.

However there’s a pretty big size disparity between him and some of the top guys in the division. I think he matches up well with a lot of them, but then you have guys like Romero who imo would be a nightmare for GSP imo.
GSP's fighting weight was 185-190

Izzy's is 190-195

Not sure about the size difference

I'm surprised you didn't post explicit cringe colby nuthugging at the end.

It is weird how WW always has so many elite wrestlers. But none at LW (besides Khabib) or MW atm.

Agreed

I’ve noticed a trend with weight classes over MW lacking top notch grapplers. Maybe it’s not something the UFC wants to invest in... who knows.

Maybe Chimaev and Vieira pan out at MW. The division desperately needs grapplers.

GSP is elite at TAKEDOWNS, not grappling.
Well depensd how you look at it, he had very good takedows, very good top control and medium to good jiu jitsu, thats as good as there ever was in mma really. Unless than by grappling you are only referring to the submission skills, than he would be average to good ( yeah the level of submission proes in mma isn't great )

GSP is elite at TAKEDOWNS, not grappling.

Probably not based on his credentials, but I can't remember a single fight where St.Pierre got in trouble against a grappler. He outgrappled most grapplers he fought.

Agreed

I’ve noticed a trend with weight classes over MW lacking top notch grapplers. Maybe it’s not something the UFC wants to invest in... who knows.

Maybe Chimaev and Vieira pan out at MW. The division desperately needs grapplers.
I once made a post abou this and belive that ww has so many wrestlers cause thats how much the average wrestler weighs really, wrestlers are in general more muscular than strikers and the average man is a lw, since the average man who is a wrestler is probably a little bit more muscular than the average man who is not a wrestler, they end up a ww. But honestly thats my theory and im just making shit up probably

I agree. And he'd run through the current WW division too.

i look at it like he had great takedowns.
good top control.
the rest i would call average.

Probably not based on his credentials, but I can't remember a single fight where St.Pierre got in trouble against a grappler. He outgrappled most grapplers he fought.

not really what i mean (answer is Hughes) its the same as me asking the last time he had a grappler in trouble on the ground- because he avoided it.

but he couldnt sub a lot of people he should haev, which is why i say it.

Back