How will Gaethje do on the ground

Beylerbey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most people agree that Gaethje’s chances of winning completely hinge on his takedown defense. But let’s say he gets taken down, how do you expect Gaethje to do as compared to Poirier, Conor, Iaquinta? It seems as if his BJJ is a complete mystery at this point.

I had more faith in him until he started talking like wrestling twice a week was a total game changer. Could be playing it up for the cameras, but idk, Gaethje seems to be honest to a fault.

He will be able to get back up to his feet better than those guys IMO, also he seems to not crack under pressure and handles taking damage amazingly well. I don’t think he will mentally quit as soon as he gets taken down like Khabibs past opponents have.

The two big factors are if he will be able to not get subbed, and if his gas tank can hold up. Also I believe his hellacious leg kicks can slow Khabib’s grappling down, once ( if ) Khabib eats 4-5 of Justin’s leg kicks he will not have the same explosiveness.

The point is not for Gaethje to turn into a complete grappler like Khabib in the space of 3 months but the gap will be so big between them two I fail to see how his 'improvements' will make any difference. He will probably sprawl back to his feet but if/when Khabib takes him down, because he will, then it's game over.

He says he's going to work on his leg strength to stuff the take downs. Good luck with that. Khabib only need two or three take downs to work on you.

Hopefully he can get back up. I don't care who wins I just want to see Khabib be tested a little. I have a feeling people are getting too excited. The first round Gaethje will have some success on his feet then Khabib will shoot, push him against the fence, and grind him to the ground. The horn will blow and Gaethje will get back up at the start of round two Rogan will say, "Gaethje is already breathing heavy. This is not good, he's got four rounds to go." Then it's a typical Khabib fight.

Gaethje just seems like the best scramble guy at LW, I just can't see him getting taken down. He's also a beast in the clinch. Seems like the worst stylistic match up for Khabib imo. Still Khabib is that good. If he CAN get the fight to the ground Gaethje will go into the next round much weaker. I'm interested to see how the later rounds will go. Justin can fight hard even when exhausted and I'm not sure how Khabib will handle Gaethje's pressure in the later rounds if the takedowns start getting stopped.

If he gets controlled on the ground, he'll spend a lot of energy to try to get back up, he'll start to gas and it will go down hill from there until Khabib subs him.

Gaethje just seems like the best scramble guy at LW, I just can't see him getting taken down. He's also a beast in the clinch. Seems like the worst stylistic match up for Khabib imo. Still Khabib is that good. If he CAN get the fight to the ground Gaethje will go into the next round much weaker. I'm interested to see how the later rounds will go. Justin can fight hard even when exhausted and I'm not sure how Khabib will handle Gaethje's pressure in the later rounds if the takedowns start getting stopped.

I definitely don’t see Gaethje getting blast doubled or low singled or something, he’s too fast and too good of a wrestler. But pushed against the cage and tripped? Definitely expect to see that.

It’s weird, Gaethje is the kinda dude I can’t imagine a world where he gets held down.

Don't forget the Al Iaquinta fight.

Are you measuring how gaethje will do because of how AL did ? If so, here's a reminder.

Khabib won via UD : 50-43, 50-44, 50-43
Strikes :
Khabib : 134 of 304
Al : 41 of 141

Al has solid wresting and was able to weather the storm pretty well, still got taken down 6 times.

Are you measuring how gaethje will do because of how AL did ? If so, here's a reminder.

Khabib won via UD : 50-43, 50-44, 50-43
Strikes :
Khabib : 134 of 304
Al : 41 of 141

Al has solid wresting and was able to weather the storm pretty well, still got taken down 6 times.
not to mention, he's improved so much since that fight. For example, he kept riding al's back. In the dustin fight, he elected to control the hips. The dude that fought al iaquinta won't be there oct 24th. its going to be an improved dude.

Even if he manages to sprawl and clinch his way out of the takedowns early in the fight he will eventually gas by doing all that and then he will crumble and tripped to the ground and mauled. This will be a clinch fight where Justin gasses and gets finished.

not to mention, he's improved so much since that fight. For example, he kept riding al's back. In the dustin fight, he elected to control the hips. The dude that fought al iaquinta won't be there oct 24th. its going to be an improved dude.

Yes khabib is always improving and working on his skills but I disagree with the 1st part, Al is a very good defensive wrestler. People like to trash him for whatever reasons but he's good. You need to be two to tango. If the other guy is stuffing your game plan there is only so much you can do.

Back