Seven fighters fought for the title coming off a loss in 2020. All seven lost.

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Dominick Reyes vs Jan Blachowicz - UFC 253
Daniel Cormier vs Stipe Miocic - UFC 251
Joseph Benavidez vs Deiveson Figueiredo - UFC Fight Night 172
Dominick Cruz vs Henry Cejudo UFC 249
Jose Aldo vs Petr Yan UFC 251
Max Holloway vs Alexander Volkanovski UFC 251
Dominick Cruz vs Henry Cejudo - UFC 249
Yoel Romero vs Israel Adesanya UFC 248

Instant rematches yay or nay?

Stipe fought DC while coming of a loss in their second fight and knocked him out.

UFC is retarded with their instant rematches.

Momentum going into a title fight is overlooked and should be considered when talking a champion's dominance.

damn i guess Costa has a good argument for a rematch now.. we know UFC wants Izzy to stay champ

Cruz vs Henry should the only fight that should instant rematch, Herb Dean fucked up that fight

Instant rematches need to be abolished.

Depends

If the guy get KOed cold or 50-45ed then yes i agree. But if the fight is a razor close decision , seen as a robbery etc then some of them do deserve an immediate rematch. It's a case by case thing imho

Depends

If the guy get KOed cold or 50-45ed then yes i agree. But if the fight is a razor close decision , seen as a robbery etc then some of them do deserve a rematch.It's a case by case thing imho
Disagree. This is the thinking that leads to so many instant rematches. Let the loser get a win under their belt first.

Solid argument against future title shots coming off a loss. Nice work TS.
Yea let's blame ts for something that is decided by the ufc. Intelligent reasoning and great finger-pointing!

Instant rematches need to be abolished.

The UFC loves instant rematches because they can continue to build on the hype generated from the first fight. Gotta milk all they can because they spent a lot promoting the first fight from scratch.

In boxing, in the past, the loser usually has to win a few tune up fights before he gets another shot while the champ defends against the next in line.

The bad thing about that is that, should either of them lose, the rematch suddenly loses its luster and the promoters lose out on potential money.

Stipe fought DC while coming of a loss in their second fight and knocked him out.
So for the actual record it’s 1-7 for 2020, it would be interesting to get the statistics on instahematches for Championship fights for the last few years as it’s a trend.

Yeah but it's a pretty popular opinion that Max vs Volk 2 could have gone either way.

I think it's hard to argue the validity of some of those matches, but Cruz and Romero didn't deserve their shots. However, due to Covid and injuries to other contenders they got those undeserved shots. I might throw Aldo in there as well, though his loss was widely disputed, which bolstered the rationale for his shot.

I think Holloway deserved his shot based on his lenghty title reign.
Reyes deserved his based on his loss being disputed and the fact that Jones had left the division.
Cormier deserved his shot based on being 1-1 vs Miocic and it being his final fight.
Benevidez deserved his shot based on the headbutt that led to the fight-ending sequence in the first bout.

I think it sucked we had so many this year, but most of them were justified.

Back