A Few Quick Observations of So Called Natty GOAT Paulo Costs

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
First of all he's NOT the Natty GOAT. He never was. And that's without counting UFC 253.

Secondly, the Paulo Costa that fought Adesanya was not the same Paulo that fought Romero, Hall etc. First of all he didn't look anywhere near confident in his walkout. His eyes were gleaming coming into the Romero fight. At UFC 253. any casual observer could see he looked shook. To me it looked like he was about to cry, or that he knew something that we didn't.

I'm not saying this as an excuse for him and I'm certainly not discrediting Adesanya, as you all know I'm a huge fan. Maybe cutting all the way to 185 for the first time did a number on him. Perhaps he could not rehydrate properly like he wanted. Doesn't matter because muscles don't win fights. Not against Izzy at least. But he was definitely more diesel against Romero.

Speaking of Romero, that Old Man busted Paulo up. Not much more I can say on that. The more I watch the fight, the more I see it. I said Izzy would expose Costa but he had already been exposed by Hall and Romero if you paid attention. In the center of the cage he didn't throw much at Romero and Yoel was boxing him up. Yoel at times backed Costa to the cage and invited him back to the middle because Costa didn't do much there.

I think the issue is that before that fight most "hardcore" fans saw Costa as someone unproven while Yoel had been elite for years so they were surprised at Costa's performance. And let's not get ot twisted, it was impressive. But I originally looked at it as a young, undefeated, bulldozer was about to run over a 42 year old man that HAD to be fading especially after his last two wars with Whittaker. I came out of that fight more impressed with the old man honestly.

If Costa didn't drop Yoel right off bat then I think the majority opinion of the fight would be much different. Which brings me back to my original point. Costa ain't the Natty GOAT. That title forever belongs to the immortal phenom, Yoel SOG Romero.

And I don't wanna hear shit about Anderson Silva. His time has past. He's not relevant in this era. Yoel has been relevant for at least 2 generations of fighters much younger than him.

People say he fell off, meanwhile he's giving the top fighters all they can handle.
And I'm a big Silva fan. You see my join date. And I lurked for a long time before that. I was in the trenches of the p4p debates. But some of you Silva fans need to let it go.

Romero is right up there with the GOATS of 185. If you disagree then you are just wrong. NATTY GOD BLESS!!

Last edited:
And I don't wanna hear shit about Anderson Silva. His time has past. He's not relevant in this era. Yoel has been relevant for at least 2 generations of fighters much younger than him.

People say he fell off, meanwhile he's giving the top fighters all they can handle.
And I'm a big Silva fan. You see my join date. And I lurked for a long time before that. I was in the trenches of the pop debates. But some of you Silva fans need to let it go.

Romero is right up there with the GOATS of 185. If you disagree then you are just wrong. NATTY GOD BLESS!!

I’m not impressed by your join date.

I’m not impressed by your join date.
Lol. I just don't want people to try and act like I'm a noob who didn't witness the greatness of Silva. I was there. But that time is long gone and some Spider fans can't let go.

People believed and convinced themselves Costa was better than he was because they wanted to see Izzy lose so much.

Thats about it.

Costa didn't commit, he should have pressed the whole time. He probably knew that he won't win over 5 rounds, but also didn't want to lay it all on the line and do or die in the first 3. It was just a terrible style matchup for him, the only ways for him to win depended on luck.

Adesanya looked sharp as fuck, didn't run, stood his ground and punished everything with lightning counters, to me he has made up for the Yoel fight.

Romero is some sort of crazy monster where you basically sacrifice part of ur soul to get that w against him.

A classic overthinking sherdogger
That's another thing. I'm never that guy to look in a fighter's eyes to see if he's scared. That's ultimately just opinion. But Costa was in FACT smaller than previous fights.

Besides, let's not bring up your pre fight prediction compared to mine.

Costa wasn't right in the head. He had the same blank expression Woodley had vs. Usman. Maybe he was all fucked up from the 5 AM fight time or the weight cut. Idk, maybe it was just one of those days.

And while Izzy of course looked great, you can't tell me that he had to do very much. The Costa who showed up the other night would've gotten knocked out by Romero.

100% agree with the TS. Me and my pal knew something was amiss be it physical or mental. Don’t get me wrong, it could’ve been stage fright, but saying that he just didn’t look as ripe as he has done in the past either. I think the weight cut was particularly more brutal than in the past too.

All said, the biggest difference technically was his reluctance to use his footwork and cut the cage off. That wasn’t helped by his lead leg getting butchered, so as much as any physical or mental problem may have affected him, his options were reduced further once that leg was destroyed.

For what it’s worth I do believe he was carrying a problem into that fight as I thought so a few days before, but I also learned in that fight that Izzy would handle even the best version of Costa.

Perhaps something did happen to Costa on a personal level before the fight. He made a comment but stopped because he didn't want it to sound like an excuse. Everyone is allowed to have a bad day.

However if you want to be champ when the cage is locked you have to let it all go and focus on the guy in front of you. I know easier said than done but to be champ you need to have that focus.

So you are saying he just didnt have that look in his eye

First of all he's NOT the Natty GOAT. He never was. And that's without counting UFC 253.

Secondly, the Paulo Costa that fought Adesanya was not the same Paulo that fought Romero, Hall etc. First of all he didn't look anywhere near confident in his walkout. His eyes were gleaming coming into the Romero fight. At UFC 253. any casual observer could see he looked shook. To me it looked like he was about to cry, or that he knew something that we didn't.

I'm not saying this as an excuse for him and I'm certainly not discrediting Adesanya, as you all know I'm a huge fan. Maybe cutting all the way to 185 for the first time did a number on him. Perhaps he could not rehydrate properly like he wanted. Doesn't matter because muscles don't win fights. Not against Izzy at least. But he was definitely more diesel against Romero.

Speaking of Romero, that Old Man busted Paulo up. Not much more I can say on that. The more I watch the fight, the more I see it. I said Izzy would expose Costa but he had already been exposed by Hall and Romero if you paid attention. In the center of the cage he didn't throw much at Romero and Yoel was boxing him up. Yoel at times backed Costa to the cage and invited him back to the middle because Costa didn't do much there.

I think the issue is that before that fight most "hardcore" fans saw Costa as someone unproven while Yoel had been elite for years so they were surprised at Costa's performance. And let's not get ot twisted, it was impressive. But I originally looked at it as a young, undefeated, bulldozer was about to run over a 42 year old man that HAD to be fading especially after his last two wars with Whittaker. I came out of that fight more impressed with the old man honestly.

If Costa didn't drop Yoel right off bat then I think the majority opinion of the fight would be much different. Which brings me back to my original point. Costa ain't the Natty GOAT. That title forever belongs to the immortal phenom, Yoel SOG Romero.
Yoel's boxing is underrated, he reminds me of Ernie Shavers a little bit.

Hmm? I don't understand your opinion on Silva.
Silva is 185 GOAT no question. He's my favorite fighter from HIS era. I paid money for his ppvs. I don't do that for everyone. But old man Silva isn't competitive in this era and there's no reason for certain fans to constantly bring up what he'd do today in his prime because we really don't know for certain.
Lol y'all love making excuses for fightets
T.I. I ain't making no excuses. Just observations. Adesanya is my favorite fighter today by far.
Another observation I wanted to add was that Israel was right when he said Costa wasn't about that life but people don't really understand what he meant. I'll explain later.

Yoel/Costa fight wasn’t even close lmao

Yoel if anything is the one on PEDS

Back