Media Chael Sonnen states the 2 fighters who would give Adesanya the most problems

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The undefeated undisputed gangsta of West Linn Oregon believes the two specimens that would present a reasonable challenge to the Middleweight champion of the world is...

challenger-approaching.jpg

Tyron Woodley: Former UFC welterweight champion

38 year old man with arthritis currently on a 3 fight losing streak and has lost 15 rounds straight
woodley-3.jpg

and

The Chris: Former UFC middleweight champion
36 year old man who is chinny and is 2-5 in his last 7 with his last win being over the number 13th ranked fighter and has only fought 6 times in 5 years (for reference adesanya has fought 9 times since 2018 against higher opposition)

maxresdefault.jpg

Video for reference:

Never Change Chael
hi-res-6ddb2476e29e5a94c595c32e896e44e6_crop_north.jpg

Woodley would lose another 5 rounds hitting air.. Weidman would be in slow motion compared to Izzy nowadays.

Tbf Weidman takes pretty much everyone down he gets his hands on and if he gets Izzy down before getting KO'd he could very well sub him, especially if it's first round and they're dry.

I don't think Izzy would be able to pop up from under Weidman like Romero or Mousasi did.

Just my take though.

Chris weidman has taken down every fighter he has ever fought,i actually believe him at his best can beat izzy
Look at both of their fights against kelvin
He actually ragdolled kelvin,took him down 7 times and submittied him.

Chris weidman has taken down every fighter he has ever fought,i actually believe him at his best can beat izzy
look at the reyes fight and tell me with a straight face that chris will be able to take izzy down before Izzy counter sparks him into oblivion

That was like 3 years ago lol. And he almost got knocked out by Kelvin even then.

Call me crazy, I think Weidman, Rockhold and Jacare have high chance of beating Izzy. Good takedowns, top control and sub game is something Izzy has not faced before.

Call me crazy, I think Weidman, Rockhold and Jacare have high chance of beating Izzy. Good takedowns, top control and sub game is something Izzy has not faced before.
ur crazy for thinking rockhold could take him down. rockhold ground game is good but there is a reason we havent seen it in forever. his takedowns are pure shit. jacare and weidman are way too slow

look at the reyes fight and tell me with a straight face that chris will be able to take izzy down before Izzy counter sparks him into oblivion

Current Weidman is too slow and washed up, but prime Weidman thoroughly defeated Silva - someone with a similar fighting style as Adesanya. He's the stylistic kryptonite for strikers with weak wrestling.

Well Romero came the closest to beating Izzy out of the recent challengers by doing nothing all fight and Tyron is very good at that, so maybe.
This is sound logic.

{<redford}

Woodley MW champ 2021.

chris weidman beats adesanya easy
i also think shogun can cut down to 185 and KO him in the first round

He's not wrong about Weidman. That was a world class MW when he was primed.

Chael should have just gone with the obvious MWs Martin Vettori and Yoel Romero. That one left hand Romero blasted Izzy with made him rethink coming forward against Romero.

Down the line in a about a year or so a fight between Izzy and Khazmat will draw attention.

Chris before his lost to Rockhold was a monster and would be a terrible nightmare for Izzy he's wrestling and Jui jutsu was world class and was good at reacting to punches and even have some underrated scary striking feats like what Chris did to Munoz, Chris was also much a smarter fighter back then the way he breaks Silva's leg with perfect timing in their rematch will always be the smartest move in mma imo.

Last edited:

Agree with Weidman and Jacare, especially Jacare. They have the wrestling and bjj to expose Adesanya's weakness. However, they're too old and battle torn now, so a few years ago, they would beat him but not now, in my opinion.

ur crazy for thinking rockhold could take him down. rockhold ground game is good but there is a reason we havent seen it in forever. his takedowns are pure shit. jacare and weidman are way too slow

Rockhold's TDs are "pure shit"? Why exactly you feel the need of saying something is obviously far from truth.
Rockhold took down David Branch and landed straight in full-mount.

Rockhold's TDs are "pure shit"? Why exactly you feel the need of saying something is obviously far from truth.
Rockhold took down David Branch and landed straight in full-mount.

Oh shit, not 4 - 5 in the UFC David Branch.

Back