do you think Izzy escaped the Ronda PR downfall?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Specifically with regards to TUF. If you remember there was the notion of Izzy vs Costa being a TUF season that would have ended with their fight.

Of course that wouldn't have changed the outcome. But similar to Ronda vs Tate not changing the outcome of that fight, their TUF season absolutely annihilated Rousey in terms of PR. Would the same thing have happened to Izzy had an entire season of footage been made on his personality?

I ask because even without TUF ever being made I'm seeing a really strong reaction here:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ranking-every-ufc-champion-by-likability.4136865/
Off-topic, but I'm surprised Kamaru has a % that high. Guy seems down to Earth and is an obvious talent.

Anyway, I think Izzy might have reached Ronda-levels of a PR implosion if they did a Izzy vs Costa TUF, since just the simulated humping already puts him past 40% ranking him as the least likeable. I can only imagine the % if they did an entire season of TUF.

He seems to have his head on straight, yes. And it's quite obvious that even though he talks a lot of stuff (hype, shit, whatever you want to call it), when he's not talking he's down to business.

Harder than it seems. Most athletes don't seem to pull it off, that balance of cocky persona and humility in the gym. But seems to have it.

And he also seems to get better each fight. So this could be the beginning of a hell of a run. Should be fun finding out :)

For Izzy to have a big implosion, he’d have to be a popular fighter like Rhonda in the first place. He’s not. He’s not a draw. He has no appeal to casuals because of his horrible personality and terrible mic skills.
I think Dana disagrees with you, judging on what he's been saying. I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but it certainly seems like the UFC views him as an emerging star.

I think it is very likely that would have been squandered completely if they put him through a season of TUF. They likely learned their lesson after that season sunk the reputation of arguably their biggest star at the time (Rousey).

He seems to have his head on straight, yes. And it's quite obvious that even though he talks a lot of stuff (hype, shit, whatever you want to call it), when he's not talking he's down to business.

Harder than it seems. Most athletes don't seem to pull it off, that balance of cocky persona and humility in the gym. But seems to have it.

And he also seems to get better each fight. So this could be the beginning of a hell of a run. Should be fun finding out :)
You mean he was smart enough NOT to sign on to being a TUF coach, specifically because he knew how he'd be portrayed? Or are you talking about something else?

For Izzy to have a big implosion, he’d have to be a popular fighter like Rhonda in the first place. He’s not. He’s not a draw. He has no appeal to casuals because of his horrible personality and terrible mic skills.

The weigh in got 7 million views or something crazy apparently, i'd say hes definitely on his way to becoming one of the more popular champions.

Cover of the new game, undefeated, exciting style, fights the contenders and the guys next in line.

You can dislike Izzy without trying to say he isnt popular, he clearly is.

Yeah, you're not on the balance when you're 31, and you can't control yourself. Dude humped his opponent and talked about using his dick as a black belt and acting like an asshole towards Costa's cornermen, just like they acted to him.

These fuckers are supposed to be martial artists.

Yeah, you're not on the balance when you're 31, and you can't control yourself. Dude humped his opponent and talked about using his dick as a black belt and acting like an asshole towards Costa's cornermen, just like they acted to him.

For me, I find it kinda harsh Izzy is getting all the blame.

Costa and his corner are equally to blame, some of the trash talk pre fight from them was definitely a bit too far, maybe borderline homophobic. Izzy acted like a dick post fight, Costa pre fight. Both to blame.

The same way Izzy gets stick for a boring fight with Yoel but Yoel stood still for the first 30 seconds and didnt engage just as much as Izzy did.

It seems Izzy gets the brunt for most of it when it always takes two to tango.

The weigh in got 7 million views or something crazy apparently, i'd say hes definitely on his way to becoming one of the more popular champions.

Cover of the new game, undefeated, exciting style, fights the contenders and the guys next in line.

You can dislike Izzy without trying to say he isnt popular, he clearly is.

Walk down a street and ask 100 people if they know who Israel Adesanya is. You might get 1 that says yes.

I’m not saying that he won’t be in the future, but right now Israel is not a “star” yet.

weigh in views are free. Are people really paying big money to see him fight? I don’t think so, not like they are with Conor, Jorge and Khabib.

he definitely has the potential to reach that status if he keeps finishing fighters like he has. Time will tell

Walk down a street and ask 100 people if they know who Israel Adesanya is. You might get 1 that says yes.

I’m not saying that he won’t be in the future, but right now Israel is not a “star” yet.

weigh in views are free. Are people really paying big money to see him fight? I don’t think so, not like they are with Conor, Jorge and Khabib

If I walked down the street and said name me a MMA fighter, Conor and MAYBE Khabib will get mentioned.

If I said name me one more, id probably get Brock Lesnar.

I didnt say Izzy was a household name, I said hes definitely becoming more popular.

And you cannot fucking WAIT to tune in next time because of it ;)

My point is, whether he gets your attention in a good or bad way, gets under your skin or doesn't, he's still taking his main job seriously. Lots can do one or the other. Few do both.

I'm not moralizing his actions (you are, I'm not) one way or the other. I'm simply acknowledging them.

Adesanya is fairly unlikeable already. How much worse could it get?

If I walked down the street and said name me a MMA fighter, Conor and MAYBE Khabib will get mentioned.

If I said name me one more, id probably get Brock Lesnar.

I didnt say Izzy was a household name, I said hes definitely becoming more popular.

He becoming, but he's not there.

To reach that star status, you need the casuals to know you.

He becoming, but he's not there.

To reach that star status, you need the casuals to know you.

Of course, I also didnt once say he was there right now though so im not really sure what you're objecting to.

Adesanya is fairly unlikeable already. How much worse could it get?
58% more, according to the latest poll.

People forget just how loved Ronda was prior to that season of TUF. She went from that to people celebrating and crying tears of joy when Holly KOd her.

It could be worse for Izzy... A LOT worse. I imagine an entire season filming all the tantrums, name-calling, outbursts etc would be VERY bad from a PR standpoint. It'd be Ronda 2.0.

So wait just a minute. You're now claiming Adesanya isn't a real martial artist? If the answer is yes how long ago did you start smoking rocks?

I was with you until you claimed he wasnt popular. I just heard a super casual state he would only watch Adesanya
You may be out of touch with casual viewers

Pretty much every part of this is wrong

impressive honestly

So wait just a minute. You're now claiming Adesanya isn't a real martial artist? If the answer is yes how long ago did you start smoking rocks?

I think you're a poor representation of one if you don't act like one, yet claim to be one. He's top notch as a fighter, but as a martial artist? The spiritual side or whatever you wanna call it is not there.

I wrap my dick around my waist and call it my black belt.........

weigh in views are free. Are people really paying big money to see him fight? I don’t think so, not like they are with Conor, Jorge and Khabib.

he definitely has the potential to reach that status if he keeps finishing fighters like he has. Time will tell

GSP is a star but it would go the same way. Aside from Ronda or Conor, the public largely doesn't know who any of these fighters are.

How much did you lose on the Costa bet?

Back