Dustin Poirier complaining about his contracted pay again

If a newcomer like Chandler gets paid more than Poirier, who's a reliable company man and an action fighter, then he's right to complain.

Dana,
tenor.gif

Completely true, but you're going to have to fight eventually Dustin

I didn't really blame Stipe for being a bit pissed off when he found out he was making $500k as champ and Overeem was making $800k to fight the champ.

Similarly, Dustin didn't like seeing his pay cut in half recently. So he's holding out for a bit more.

Good for him I say.

BOO FUCKING HOO, you get payed more in one night than most Americans do in an entire year. Fighter pay needs to be reduced to minimum wage.

Quite interesting that he signed his most recent contract in March 2018 and didn’t think he was being paid his worth then -

“I just rewashed my old contract after my last fight and got a new contract,” Poirier told MMAjunkie. “I got close to my goal. I still believe I’m worth more money, but we’re happy with where we’re at. Me and the UFC are on good terms and like I’ve said, I would fight the rest of my career in the UFC. I want to fight until I’m 35. I would love to do another six years in the UFC, but as of right now I’m happy, and I hope they’re happy.

“I’m going to keep putting on great shows and putting everything into my training camps. That’s all I can do.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2018...tract-championship-language-lightweight-title

Quite interesting that he signed his most recent contract in March 2018 and didn’t think he was being paid his worth then -

“I just rewashed my old contract after my last fight and got a new contract,” Poirier told MMAjunkie. “I got close to my goal. I still believe I’m worth more money, but we’re happy with where we’re at. Me and the UFC are on good terms and like I’ve said, I would fight the rest of my career in the UFC. I want to fight until I’m 35. I would love to do another six years in the UFC, but as of right now I’m happy, and I hope they’re happy.

“I’m going to keep putting on great shows and putting everything into my training camps. That’s all I can do.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2018...tract-championship-language-lightweight-title

Sounds like he was OK with what he got then, thing is, he just watched Masvidal going from no one to millions in PPV headliner, and well, he doesnt make that, while still fighting the top guys and having wars while at it, i guess the money was ok then, but he feels his stock has risen but he is still tied to 2018 pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would require anyone wanting to negotiate a different contract to FIRST have to FIRE their current management. This is non-negotiable. Your agent/manager signed you up for this shit, so punish them first.

Pay the man.
Dustin has to be reasonable as well, he can't expect 7 figures he has to do a bit more to earn that kind of money.
I'm sure a compromise can be made.

MMA pay is a joke.

People who win getting paid less than people who lose.

Athletes are paid according to their marketability, which is not always following their abilities and accolades. If the pay was only on merit, the dude who climbed El Capitan without ropes would be a billionaire.

492fda76-fde4-11e8-93b7-146c6b325962_1280x720_164624.jpg

That being said, even with that logic I'm not sure why Chandler would be paid more than Poirier.

Dustin is in a weird way, he’s not quite mid carder and not exactly a hardcore main eventer. So it’s a strange place to be. I bet his money is still around mid card guy than it is main eventer

I would require anyone wanting to negotiate a different contract to FIRST have to FIRE their current management. This is non-negotiable. Your agent/manager signed you up for this shit, so punish them first.

this is a genius idea.

I still remember when Poirier was being a drama queen and demanding a title shot or to be released. That was back when Ferguson was on a big win streak and clearly way more deserving as well lol. He lucked out by Tony turning down the Holloway interim fight and then shit the bed against Khabib.

Athletes are paid according to their marketability, which is not always following their abilities and accolades. If the pay was only on merit, the dude who climbed El Capitan without ropes would be a billionaire.

492fda76-fde4-11e8-93b7-146c6b325962_1280x720_164624.jpg

That being said, even with that logic I'm not sure why Chandler would be paid more than Poirier.

Very well said.

Back