How Much Has Jan Changed?

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a look at his record earlier in his career, and you notice the vast majority of his victories are either by submission or decision. He had a few tkos, but not many.
upload_2020-9-27_22-26-38.png

Now here are his last 4 wins.
upload_2020-9-27_22-27-52.png

It's like all of a sudden he realized how much power he was packing. Suddenly he KO's Rockhold, and ever since then he's been a wrecking ball. Finishing Rockhold and Anderson was one thing, as neither of them have the best ability to take a punch, but now Reyes as well?

Did Jan change up his style, or just gain more confidence in his power?

Here's a look at his record earlier in his career, and you notice the vast majority of his victories are either by submission or decision. He had a few tkos, but not many.
View attachment 802211

Now here are his last 4 wins.
View attachment 802212

It's like all of a sudden he realized how much power he was packing. Suddenly he KO's Rockhold, and ever since then he's been a wrecking ball. Finishing Rockhold and Anderson was one thing, as neither of them have the best ability to take a punch, but now Reyes as well?

Did Jan change up his style, or just gain more confidence in his power?
It's easier to sub someone if you knock them senseless first

he has the brains to continuously evolve--he is still changing, and will continue...

I think he's just become more competent as a striker. His techniques are the same, he's just more skilled at setting up his shots now.

I think he's just become more competent as a striker. His techniques are the same, he's just more skilled at setting up his shots now.
Being the big fish in a small pond for so long probably did him no favors, that's why he struggled when he got to the UFC because he had no idea what top level competition actually feels like. Props on him and his trainers for fixing his skillset

Getting better and better boxing. You can check the two Manuwa fights.

Dude's been fighting for a long time. If someone can keep taking their career seriously for years, never give up, and continuously grind and make the sacrifices to be better than the last time in the gym and in the cage the effort will pay off. He just wants it.

Age only plays a minimal role if he stays on top of his game and don't discouraged; I mean it'd be a factor, but it can be fought against a lot longer than people realize. If you're not on top of it, things will slip fast and easy, especially while aging. That's all really. Things align for folk who stay the course.

Jan has likely had physical power from the start however only recently gained the necessary mental confidence more recently. After entering the UFC and holding his own with well-known world-class fighters only then did he commit to being a full time professional in the big leagues. Once he turned that corner with complete commitment plus improved training did he really hit his stride.
Now he's at the point where he believes he belongs, has prepared/trained on par with the best in the world and knows he can trust his hands to KO pretty much any man standing in front of him.
I don't think he's physically that much different but mentally he's elevated to a different place and as a result is a way more capable and dangerous opponent. That said, I think he's still a bit stiff and definitely beatable ... not really a GOAT level fighter but certainly a very scary LHW to be locked in a cage with. It will be interesting to see how he defends the belt.

Back