Should Jones retire?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought Dominick Reyes should have beat him fair and square. But this recent performance against a LHW gatekeeper was dreadful. Prime Jones would own Reyes. But this current version has much worse offense and is clearly out of prime. Right now he is arguably the GOAT, with him and GSP standing above the pack. If he goes up to heavyweight and loses it will diminish his legacy and solidify GSP as the GOAT. I don't see any point in fighting past his prime with the legacy he has built up.

Reyes had a phenomenal showing against Jones In every way imaginable.

He looked like a shell of himself last night. Supposedly he arrived only 3 days before the fight is what I've been hearing. Jet lag is no joke.

Jan is no joke by any means, I was expecting a coin flip fight but Reyes is a much better fighter than he showed

Last edited:
Prime Jones would own Reyes. But this current version has much worse offense and is clearly out of prime.
Technically proficient kickboxers who're equal in size to Jon, have good defensive wrestling and know how to move, especially laterally, have always been an extremely difficult match up for Jon Jones.

Saying "Prime Jones would own Reyes" is literally entirely unsubstantiated.

He looked like a shell of himself last night. Supposedly he arrived only 3 days before the fight is what I've been hearing.

Jan is no joke by any means, I was expecting a coin flip fight but Reyes is a much better fighter than he showed
I expected Reyes to finish Jon, but was surprised at the outcome too; i think Reyes started to feel uncomfortable as soon as he repeatedly felt Jan's power.

No.

He’s past his prime but still only 33.

HWs aren’t known for their technical fighting which I suspect as a reason for him moving up. He’s still smart enough to point fight someone and get a win.

He looked like a shell of himself last night. Supposedly he arrived only 3 days before the fight is what I've been hearing.

Might be another Gus moment. Had a fight of his life against Jones, came up short in a controversial decision and then got destroyed in his next match, a match he was expected to win.
Hope not but looks like it.

Something tells me you're off in other threads talking about how GSP is clearly ahead of Jon in the goat discussion.

I don't usually make such bold statements. If failed PED tests matter, GSP is the GOAT. If they don't, it arguably could be either. I just don't like what I've seen recently out of Jones.

I expected Reyes to finish Jon, but was surprised at the outcome too; i think Reyes started to feel uncomfortable as soon as he repeatedly felt Jan's power.
Jan is as dense and powerful as they come. His boxing is very good, certainly not absent of technique, left hook in particular is beautiful.

Still, arriving to Abu Dhabi 3 days before the fight on a 13 hour flight is beyond stupid. If that's what really happened, he fucked himself.

Jan is as dense and powerful as they come. His boxing is very good, certainly not absent of technique, left hook in particular is beautiful.
Yeah agreed. I think his sriking has improved as well and his gameplan was on point against Reyes.
Still, arriving to Abu Dhabi 3 days before the fight on a 13 hour flight is beyond stupid. If that's what really happened, he fucked himself.
Yeah, guess we'll never know unfortunately. Hope Reyes bounces back, i like him.

Hell no! His new motivation is his new weight class. He's smart, so he knows this. He had to mix something up, so that's exactly what he did. Just because he's had competitive fights lately doesn't mean he's slowing down. Maybe his opponents are speeding up. And his elusive abilities in that Reyes fight were second to none. Yeah, it's easy to pick against him or say he should lose because of A or B, but until he does, I'm not buyin' it. He ran through DC easily compared to Stipe. Jones is about to become the undisputed GOAT.

Not right now because he is about to test heavyweight but his time is coming. I’d say he will retire after this heavyweight project whether it works or not. He will be gone by 2023 max.

But my understanding is the fight happened in the middle of the night on Yas Island, to accommodate Saturday night US viewers.

If he was trying to stay on American time the whole time would he really have jet lag?

But my understanding is the fight happened in the middle of the night on Yas Island, to accommodate Saturday night US viewers.

If he was trying to stay on American time the whole time would he really have jet lag?
I'm no expert beyond, just a layman.

But arriving in a distant land 3 days before a major event seems pretty significant.

Dustin arrived 10 days before his fight with Khabib and complained about the jet lag.

Back