Why do fighters continue to get into a standup fight with Israel!!??????

onemanshow83

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know he has excellent takedown defense I get that. But Why did costa stand up and try to exchange with him where Israel is comfortable the most??? This dude had had over 70 professional kickboxing matches and fought the best. Costa played right into his hands! I would think Costa would have used more of a Randy Couture approach. Smuggle him against the cage and take his range away from him eventually take him down. You will not win a standup fight against Israel he is too damn good and knows exactly what he's doing. If you got to Jon Fitch his ass that's what you got to do. Israel is too dangerous of fighter to stand up with.

A lot of these grapplers fall in love with their hands and manage to get some knockouts over lesser competition so they believe their own hype and think they can strike with someone who's been doing it since they were a kid. Very delusional, like all of these mma fighters thinking they can go into the boxing ring and challenge people like Mayweather and canelo in their own game

Adesanya did a lot to mitigate the grappling. Lateral movement, the kicks, feints that freeze, range, not telegraphing, not overextending, etc. It's not really by choice, Adesanya is like a matador in there, and his power has been underrated, although that perception might be changing.

It's pretty clear Costa is stupid and fought as such. Also when has Costa showed the ability to put ppl on the fence or take them down?
This is a good point, you don't really see much of Costa's grappling in his fights....

Adesanya has good TDD? Why did Gastelum take him down?

OP has a great point. The one time Costa got in tight he should have grappled. Why bring your black belt to the weigh in to fight stand up. And i use the term fight loosely as Costa mainly stood there and got hit all night.

I know he has excellent takedown defense I get that. But Why did costa stand up and try to exchange with him where Israel is comfortable the most??? This dude had had over 70 professional kickboxing matches and fought the best. Costa played right into his hands! I would think Costa would have used more of a Randy Couture approach. Smuggle him against the cage and take his range away from him eventually take him down. You will not win a standup fight against Israel he is too damn good and knows exactly what he's doing. If you got to Jon Fitch his ass that's what you got to do. Israel is too dangerous of fighter to stand up with.
He doesnt have excellent takedown defense lmao, thats crap nobody tried chain wrestling him dana probably gives under the table bonuses to keep it mostly striking with him

Before the fight, Sherdog said Izzy wouldn’t be able to handle Costa’s pressure, and completely ignoring that Costa isn’t a kickboxing champion like Izzy.

From what I saw most people thought a striking game plan was perfectly reasonable for Costa.

I don't even think most people now are arguing his lack of grappling was the issue: but rather that he was too tentative and in the wrong range.

But in hindsight, of course it becomes easier and easier to argue Izzy is hard to beat with striking the more stand up fights he wins.
But there will always be that doubt, and there still is: what if he faces someone who puts on a massive pressure?

Costa was supposedly going to be the answer to that question, wasn't expected that the question would remain unanswered

Last edited:
Thats what I'm saying. Costa attempted absolutely nothing & just stood in front of Izzy talking shit the entire time as in a human punching bag. Ridiculous for the guy everyone & their mom were calling the next Vitor Belfort. Costa is a very dangerous dude but displayed none of his skills.

Smuggle him? Racist

It takes a prime Weidman or Sonnen type of wrestler to take Izzy down and hold him there. That fighter simply doesn't exist at the moment.

Back