Is Japan still top5 nation in MMA? Did Poland or Australia took the spot?

pankrat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Used to be top3 nation in MMA during the 90s and 2000s. Does Japan keep the 4th sport behind USA-BRA-RUS?

Poland and Australia are represented at the very top (Jan/Joanna | Izzi/Volk) but barely places any other fighter even close to be ranked

Similar to Netherlands/Sweeden in heavier weighclasses or China/Korea at the lower divisions.

UK and to a lesser extent Canada or France may have their talent more spread across weighs

I think they contend for the 5th spot behind Japar still today, as the number of highly ranked fighters out of Japan at 135,125,115 and 105 is not matched by any other country behind the big3. They are rather weak above Featherweight, but out of USA-BRA-RUS all nations are as weak or weaker in most divisions

full

Last edited:
No USASA in One FC, so they would destroy most UFC guys right now.

I think most western MMA fans would struggle to name a single active Japanese fighter other than Horiguchi who most would dismiss as a manlet. They have almost no representation in western MMA promotions.

Unfortunately Japans barely top 10 now. They've not had a fighter thats able to string a couple of decent wins since Horoguchi and have never had a real champ. Even China have more UFC relevant fighters right now.

Except France, every country mentioned in the TS is more relevant to MMA than Japan is today.

Why does everyone care so much about the nation that has the most champs? It sounds like something a person with rocks for brains would care about. You know life isn't one giant competition right?

I think most western MMA fans would struggle to name a single active Japanese fighter other than Horiguchi who most would dismiss as a manlet. They have almost no representation in western MMA promotions.

Well Im from Europa but I assume we all understand is a worldwide question, not asking in UFC especifically.

Japan stopped being 4th force in mma, long time ago... I think you overslept for a decade ;)

Unfortunately Japans barely top 10 now. They've not had a fighter thats able to string a couple of decent wins since Horoguchi and have never had a real champ. Even China have more UFC relevant fighters right now.

Except France, every country mentioned in the TS is more relevant to MMA than Japan is today.

Not even top10?
Horiguchi, Asakura, Ishiwatari, Hamasaki, Ogikubo, Wada, Motoya, Wakamatsu all have the potential to be ranked in UFC at 135-125lbs
Not sure any country out of USA-BRA-RUS can present as much top talent in any division.

UFC doesnt care for 105 and 115 but Japan is a force in those weighs, and will be forever as it is in boxing/kick.

Even from FW to MW they are easily top10, it's not like there are many countries out of the big3 that are a force in the divisions. Japan is severely lacking at LHW/HW though, which is what the West recognizes the most...

Japan is barely top 20 at this point.
<BirdieOwn>

Last edited:
They’ve not been Top 5 since Pancrase. Even in Pride, most of the JPN roster were journeyman and fodder for the stars aside from a select few like Gomi and Saku.

Izzy isnt Australian.

Thats like me saying Japan has a great champ in Weilli Zhang.

Maybe Im mistaken, but didnt Adesanya mainly trained in Australia and comes from the Australian professional circuit?

They’ve not been Top 5 since Pancrase. Even in Pride, most of the JPN roster were journeyman and fodder for the stars aside from a select few like Gomi and Saku.

A select few already places any nation arguably top5. Out of USA-BRA-RUS there is no nation who is really a big force in MMA relative to the others.

Back in Pride days, Japan was arguably even top3 ahead of Russia.

Nowadays, which nations do you say are ahead of Japan, apart from the big3?

Well Im from Europa but I assume we all understand is a worldwide question, not asking in UFC especifically.

Not even top10?
Horiguchi, Asakura, Ishiwatari, Hamasaki, Ogikubo, Wada, Motoya, Wakamatsu all have the potential to be ranked in UFC at 135-125lbs
Not sure any country out of USA-BRA-RUS can present as much top talent in any division.

UFC doesnt care for male straw and woman atom but Japan is arguably even #1 in those weighs, and will be a force forever there as it is in boxing/kick.

Even from FW to MW they are easily top10, it's not like there are many countries out of the big3 that are a force in the divisions. Japan is severely lacking at LHW/HW though, which is what the West recognizes the most...

<BirdieOwn>
There's not a single Japanese fighter among the top 15 contenders in the UFC, including at 125 or 135. However, American fighter Dan Ige and Brazilian fighter Augusto Sakai are both ranked #10, Ige at 145, and Sakai at 265, and both are of Japanese descent.

https://www.ufc.com/rankings

If you're UFC focused sure, but really you should be judging by the number of shows, promotions, active fighters, stuff like that ....... so no idea, maybe someone can do the math.

There's not a single Japanese fighter among the top 15 contenders in the UFC, including at 125 or 135. However, American fighter Dan Ige and Brazilian fighter Augusto Sakai are both ranked #10, Ige at 145, and Sakai at 265, and both are of Japanese descent.

https://www.ufc.com/rankings

We are talking about MMA, not UFC.
If Kioji Horiguchi gets better money from other promotion, he is still widely recognized as top5 in his weighclass by any outlet as well as by fellow pro fighters and opponents.
Let's try not to be so UFC shills.

Used to be top3 nation in MMA during the 90s and 2000s. Does Japan keep the 4th sport behind USA-BRA-RUS?

Poland and Australia are represented at the very top (Jan/Joanna | Izzi/Volk) but barely places any other fighter even close to be ranked

Similar to Netherlands/Sweeden in heavier weighclasses or China/Korea at the lower divisions.

UK and to a lesser extent Canada or France may have their talent more spread across weighs

I think they contend for the 5th spot behind Japar still today, as the number of highly ranked fighters out of Japan at 135,125,115 and 105 is not matched by any other country behind the big3. Theu are rather weak above Featherweight, but out of USA-BRA-RUS all nations are as weak or weaker in most divisions

full
UK and Canada >>> Japan

Poland with Jan and JJ +KSW > Japan

Korea > Japan

Even China with Weili and the other Chinese in the UFC >>> Japan

Japan is barely in the top 10 I feel
@JustOnce :p

UK and Canada >>> Japan

Poland with Jan and JJ +KSW > Japan

Korea > Japan

Even China with Weili and the other Chinese in the UFC >>> Japan

Japan is barely in the top 10 I feel
@JustOnce :p

Canada? Who are the top contenders from Canada now that GSP has left and Rory is in his way out?

Horiguchi, Hamasaka and Asakura are widely top10 ranked. Ogiukubo and Ishiwatari are probably ranked higher than any Canadian nowadays. Or Chinese, apart from Weili. Or Korean, apart from the Zombie.

Not to mention 105 and 115lbs divisions, where Japan is arguably top3 nation even if they dont get recognition by Western audience.

Japan not even top10? Get a grip

Back