Fighter's Mentality vs. 'Safety' Mentality (Adesanya x Costa)

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All 3 Main Fights last night were won on FIGHTER'S MENTALITY vs. "playing it safe."

ADESANYA vs. COSTA:
Both fighters were extremely nervous in the beginning, licking their lips. It was evident both were suffering from "dry mouth," a telltale sign of extreme nervousness. Costa started with some body kicks, but he appeared afraid to pick up the pace like he usually does. Costa was clearly more worried about keeping his stamina than he was more focused on bludgeoning Adesanya.

At first, Adesanya was worried also; you could see it in his face too. But there was a turning point, two-thirds the way into Round 1, where you could see Adesanya realized Costa was uncharacteristically holding back, and Adesanya's mind switched from defense to offense. While Costa was posing, Izzy decided to fight, and he took over from there. In Round 2, when Costa started backing up, I literally got up in disgust and got something to drink. Moments later, the muscle-bound, BJJ black belt was curled up in a ball, accepting punishment from the man he vowed to kill.

I am publicly eating crow. Costa fooled me. I never thought he would choke like that. Honestly, that's what Costa did: HE CHOKED. He took the biggest moment in his life, and instead of fighting like the "Champion" he professed himself to be, his nerves got the best of him. He literally froze; he literally used NONE of his assets intelligently. Instead of forcing the fight, and imposing his will, incorporating grappling (where he is superior), Costa just sat there, and stayed in Izzy's range. Costa forced nothing, used none of his strengths, and he proved he did not have a Champion's mentality, which concentrates solely on hitting and winning, not "playing it safe."

Although Izzy was nervous early, he proved to have a Champion's mindset. The moment Izzy realized that Costa was uncharacteristically cautious, Izzy stepped on the gas, seized the opportunity, and took complete control of that fight, finishing the terrified, nervous Costa in completely dominant fashion. I can't stand the guy, but hats off to Izzy for exposing Costa. Costa lost a fan, and (although I don't really like him) Izzy sorta gained one, albeit begrudgingly. I have to admit, I will still root against Izzy after Cannonier beats Whittaker and challenges Adesanya for the title <45>

BŁACHOWICZ vs. REYES:
Reyes had already proven to us that he did not have a championship mindset, by his backpedaling from Jones mid-way in Round 3 in his last fight, a fight he was winning up to that point. Still, Reyes was longer and quicker than Błachowicz, so I gave him the edge, especially early. Again, the man with the stronger mentality prevailed that night. You could clearly tell Reyes was "more worried about getting hit" than he was concentrating on hitting. Reyes' extreme nervousness was stamped in everything he did, every move he made, as well as in the direction he traveled—which was backwards. Błachowicz was a little cautious at first also, even while going forward, but after a couple of minutes, it was obvious Jan came to fight. Toward the end of the first round Jan realized Dominick was being very cautious, which inflated Jan, so he decided to dominate Reyes then and there. Błachowicz predicted he would get a KO in Round 2, and he went out there and did exactly that. Hats off to the new champ.

ROYVAL vs. FRANCE:
This was one hell of a fight! France looked great for about a minute. Extremely precise placement of his kicks and punches. Royval was a step behind, and getting clipped cleanly and sharply. France has a unique gift of absolutely hitting the mark with his kicks and punches. First France clipped the anchor point of Royval's ankle, supporting his weight, dropping him straight down. With the same absolute precision, France clipped the point of Royval's chin, sending him down again, and then clipped the right side of Royval's jaw, with a left hook, when he got up, putting him down a third time.

However, rather than the fight being "over," after three knockdowns, it was instead the turning point and when the real fight began. Rather than being "cautious" after being knocked down 3x, this actually woke Royval up. His response was a devastating, unexpected, spinning elbow, which almost KO'd France, who slumped heavily to the canvas. It was exactly at this point that Royval proved he was a fighter, and France proved he was more interested in "defending himself." Again, mentality prevailed.

You could literally see Royval's confidence and determination to win grow and grow ... and you could literally see these important characteristics disappear from France altogether. At the end of the day, when deep in the heat, Royval proved to be the fighter, and France proved to be "more concerned for his safety."

Thus endeth all 3 Main Fights last night.

That's my $0.02 ... I have to finish eating my crow for breakfast, and my humble pie for dessert <45>

Last edited:
. Costa fooled me. I never thought he would choke like that. Honestly, that's what Costa did: HE CHOKED. He took the biggest moment in his life, and instead of fighting like the "Champion" he professed himself to be, his nerves got the best of him. He literally froze; he literally used NONE of his assets intelligently. Instead of forcing the fight, and imposing his will, incorporating grappling (where he is superior), Costa just sat there, and stayed in Izzy's range. Costa forced nothing, used none of his strengths, and he proved he did not have a Champion's mentality, which concentrates solely on hitting and winning, not "playing it safe."

He didn't choke. This is such a cop out. He froze up. Why? because he was biting on any and everything Izzy was throwing and didn't know where the strike was coming from. He got mentally flustered and didn't know how to defend what strike he couldn't see coming, so he just covered up. Same with Reyes

All 3 Main Fights last night were won on FIGHTER'S MENTALITY vs. "playing it safe."

ADESANYA vs. COSTA:
Both fighters were extremely nervous in the beginning, licking their lips. It was evident both were suffering from "dry mouth," a telltale sign of extreme nervousness. Costa started with some body kicks, but he appeared afraid to pick up the pace like he usually does. Costa was clearly more worried about keeping his stamina than he was more focused on bludgeoning Adesanya.

At first, Adesanya was worried also; you could see it in his face too. But there was a turning point, two-thirds the way into Round 1, where you could see Adesanya realized Costa was uncharacteristically holding back, and Adesanya's mind switched from defense to offense. While Costa was posing, Izzy decided to fight, and he took over from there. In Round 2, when Costa started backing up, I literally got up in disgust and got something to drink. Moments later, the muscle-bound, BJJ black belt was curled up in a ball, accepting punishment from the man he vowed to kill.

I am publicly eating crow. Costa fooled me. I never thought he would choke like that. Honestly, that's what Costa did: HE CHOKED. He took the biggest moment in his life, and instead of fighting like the "Champion" he professed himself to be, his nerves got the best of him. He literally froze; he literally used NONE of his assets intelligently. Instead of forcing the fight, and imposing his will, incorporating grappling (where he is superior), Costa just sat there, and stayed in Izzy's range. Costa forced nothing, used none of his strengths, and he proved he did not have a Champion's mentality, which concentrates solely on hitting and winning, not "playing it safe."

Although Izzy was nervous early, he proved to have a Champion's mindset. The moment Izzy realized that Costa was uncharacteristically cautious, Izzy stepped on the gas, seized the opportunity, and took complete control of that fight, finishing the terrified, nervous Costa in completely dominant fashion. I can't stand the guy, but hats off to Izzy for exposing Costa. Costa lost a fan, and (although I don't really like him) Izzy sorta gained one, albeit begrudgingly. I have to admit, I will still root against Izzy after Cannonier beats Whittaker and challenges Adesanya for the title <45>

BŁACHOWICZ vs. REYES:
Reyes had already proven to us that he did not have a championship mindset, by his backpedaling from Jones mid-way in Round 3 in his last fight, a fight he was winning up to that point. Still, Reyes was longer and quicker than Błachowicz, so I gave him the edge, especially early. Again, the man with the stronger mentality prevailed that night. You could clearly tell Reyes was "more worried about getting hit" than he was concentrating on hitting. Reyes' extreme nervousness was stamped in everything he did, every move he made, as well as in the direction he traveled—which was backwards. Błachowicz was a little cautious at first also, even while going forward, but after a couple of minutes, it was obvious Jan came to fight. Toward the end of the first round Jan realized Dominick was being very cautious, which inflated Jan, so he decided to dominate Reyes then and there. Błachowicz predicted he would get a KO in Round 2, and he went out there and did exactly that. Hats off to the new champ.

ROYVAL vs. FRANCE:
This was one hell of a fight! France looked great for about a minute. Extremely precise placement of his kicks and punches. Royval was a step behind, and getting clipped cleanly and sharply. France has a unique gift of absolutely hitting the mark with his kicks and punches. First France clipped the anchor point of Royval's ankle, supporting his weight, dropping him straight down. With the same absolute precision, France clipped the point of Royval's chin, sending him down again, and then clipped the right side of Royval's jaw, with a left hook, when he got up, putting him down a third time.

However, rather than the fight being "over," after three knockdowns, it was instead the turning point and when the real fight began. Rather than being "cautious" after being knocked down 3x, this actually woke Royval up. His response was a devastating, unexpected, spinning elbow, which almost KO'd France, who slumped heavily to the canvas. It was exactly at this point that Royval proved he was a fighter, and France proved he was more interested in "defending himself." Again, mentality prevailed.

You could literally see Royval's confidence and determination to win grow and grow ... and you could literally see these important characteristics disappear from France altogether. At the end of the day, when deep in the heat, Royval proved to be the fighter, and France proved to be "more concerned for his safety."

That's my $0.02 ... I have to finish eating my crow for breakfast, and my humble pie for dessert <45>

Thanks for your efforts.

He didn't choke. This is such a cop out. He froze up. Why? because he was biting on any and everything Izzy was throwing and didn't know where the strike was coming from. He got mentally flustered and didn't know how to defend what strike he couldn't see coming, so he just covered up. Same with Reyes

Being "mentally-flustered" = Choking

Being MENTALLY DETERMINED = Champion

We watched a different fight then. What was he biting on? He was standing still.

He just stood there and ate leg kicks, didn't even check one. His game was supposed to be relentless pressure, we sort of saw a flash or two of that, but Costa definitely was a deer in the headlights and fought horribly.

Good write up btw TS, agree with most of it. Would like it but ran out of likes.

ADESANYA vs. COSTA:

BŁACHOWICZ vs. REYES:

ROYVAL vs. FRANCE:

You put too much weight into this champion mindset regarding Reyes. Btw I think Blachowicz said Round 3, not round 2. Still great tho.

ADESANYA vs. COSTA:

BŁACHOWICZ vs. REYES:

ROYVAL vs. FRANCE:

Paulo absolutely 100% choked. He abandoned all the things that gave him a shot in that fight. He'll either come back stronger, or wither.

You put too much weight into this champion mindset regarding Reyes. Btw I think Blachowicz said Round 3, not round 2. Still great tho.

No I don't.

The desire to win, above all else, is the driving force behind greatness, daring, and doing whatever it takes to BE the Champion. That's what it takes to become one.

"The desire to protect oneself," to "play it safe," will always limit momentum, and make that man fall short, when faced a man who has the above.

It is impossible to overstate the importance of a true fighter's mentality, to fight and to win, versus the mentality of "protecting oneself" and "playing it safe."

We watched a different fight then. What was he biting on? He was standing still.

He just stood there and ate leg kicks, didn't even check one. His game was supposed to be relentless pressure, we sort of saw a flash or two of that, but Costa definitely was a deer in the headlights and fought horribly.

Good write up btw TS, agree with most of it. Would like it but ran out of likes.
He couldn't crack the puzzle. He needed to come in close. If you follow any of the breakdowns from dan hardy and company, they have said costa was the type of fighter that's going to make izzy look good

sure he was a little gunshy, but he was mentally flustered.

I’m going to join in on your thread, I honestly thought the Tank that Costa is and his pressure would eventually break Adesanya... I was wrong and Costa was absolutely dismantled and tooled, Izzy made him look like and Amateur, that being said, Costas gameplan was a complete joke, he stayed at distance with a rangy sniper...WTF...? especially considering the ridiculous speed and reach disadvantage, completely abandoned what got him to the dance, didn’t pressure, didn’t use Costas size advantage, let Izzy off the hook the few times he had him backed up to the cage, thus zero clinch work. He represented the Diaz brothers by dealing with the leg kick by taunting, was absolutely baffled by the feints and actually abandoned his own feints by the second and stood flat footed begging for the finish. Costa throws the exact same punch combination within back to back sequences and badly overextended the hook, paid for it by getting cracked behind the ear, dropped, finished, and finally molested...

Captain Erick WhiteBifocal developed an absolutely atrocious gameplan that played into all of Adesanyas strengths, they were so worried about 5 round cardio that Costa didn’t even land a strike for all intensive purposes

He couldn't crack the puzzle. He needed to come in close. If you follow any of the breakdowns from dan hardy and company, they have said costa was the type of fighter that's going to make izzy look good

sure he was a little gunshy, but he was mentally flustered.

Dan Hardy is a retard lmao.

Costa fought the exact OPPOSITE of what he needed to, and regularly does. It's that simple. He had Izzy pressured like once or twice in this fight and didn't even pull the trigger then. He just stood within kicker range with a leg extended and said "Kick me please" the entire fight.

Better analysis than Dan Hardy was talking about Costa having a real chance due to a pressuring style, willingness to take hits and still pressure, body shots. We saw literally none of that last night.

Gastelum is also a good example of someone having success against Izzy and pressuring, not like Gastelum was playing patty cakes citykickboxing leg kicks and not engaging for 25 minutes.

too long, didnt read.

I'm eating my crow too, I just don't need to make some weird thread about it.

I’m going to join in on your thread, I honestly thought the Tank that Costa is and his pressure would eventually break Adesanya... I was wrong and Costa was absolutely dismantled and tooled, Izzy made him look like and Amateur, that being said, Costas gameplan was a complete joke, he stayed at distance with a rangy sniper...WTF...? especially considering the ridiculous speed and reach disadvantage, completely abandoned what got him to the dance, didn’t pressure, didn’t use Costas size advantage, let Izzy off the hook the few times he had him backed up to the cage, thus zero clinch work. He represented the Diaz brothers by dealing with the leg kick by taunting, was absolutely baffled by the feints and actually abandoned his own feints by the second and stood flat footed begging for the finish. Costa throws the exact same punch combination within back to back sequences and badly overextended the hook, paid for it by getting cracked behind the ear, dropped, finished, and finally molested...

Captain Erick WhiteBifocal developed an absolutely atrocious gameplan that played into all of Adesanyas strengths, they were so worried about 5 round cardio that Costa didn’t even land a strike for all intensive purposes

Exactly. "Worrying" about cardio, rather than focusing on the ways to win.

Dan Hardy is a retard lmao.

Costa fought the exact OPPOSITE of what he needed to, and regularly does. It's that simple. He had Izzy pressured like once or twice in this fight and didn't even pull the trigger then. He just stood within kicker range with a leg extended and said "Kick me please" the entire fight.

Better analysis than Dan Hardy was talking about Costa having a real chance due to a pressuring style, willingness to take hits and still pressure, body shots. We saw literally none of that last night.

Gastelum is also a good example of someone having success against Izzy and pressuring, not like Gastelum was playing patty cakes citykickboxing leg kicks and not engaging for 25 minutes.
I mean he was right though. I edited the clip. When it comes to striking, I give hardy a little credit to because he knows that area as oppose to grappling or mixing it up.

He said Costa was going to look silly against Izzy. He looked Silly against Izzy. He thinks Til and Whitaker can also make costa look silly. That remains to be seen.

I think he got wrapped up in the izzy sauce he got mentally flustered cause he didn't know what izzy was going to throw so he froze. He didn't choke. He froze. Give him a rematch again, and have costa do everything right, things he missed this time around and he probably still gets embarrassed.

Paulo absolutely 100% choked. He abandoned all the things that gave him a shot in that fight. He'll either come back stronger, or wither.
That’s because he knew there were a ton of counters waiting for him. That’s not choking. That’s making a conscious decision that, “I can’t close the distance and throw shots without being countered and possibly KO’d.”

That’s because he knew there were a ton of counters waiting for him. That’s not choking. That’s making a conscious decision that, “I can’t close the distance and throw shots without being countered and possibly KO’d.”
Agree to disagree. If Costa actually tried to do what everyone thought he was gonna do, he would've stood a much better chance.

Costa was peg legged, that's why he didn't do any of the stuff you suggest he should have. How's he going to launch for a TD when he can't use his calf properly for the next year

Agree to disagree. If Costa actually tried to do what everyone thought he was gonna do, he would've stood a much better chance.
He gets KO'd regardless. I feel izzy respected Yoel's power and speed more than Costa's slowness.

Back