Jan Blachowicz: It's incredible how much better he got late in his career

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Am I the only one really surprised here?

Jan at one point had lot 4 out of his last 5 in the UFC.. even losing to a journeyman like Pat Cummins (not bashing but he was terrible).

He was super gunshy. At one point he had 23 wins and only 5 TKOs. A bunch of decisions.

Then somehow his TDD when from zero to really really good and also started sitting on his punches and "polish power" was born. He was never a KO artist by any stretch of the imagination and now he slept 3 out of his last 4.
Stuffed Rockhold, Jacaré and Corey like nothing when he was getting easily outgrappled by Gustaffsson.

IDK if it was a confidence thing but this dude improvement at his age is incredible.

What do you guys think?

PS: And no.. I don't think he will be a super dominant champion or anything.. but he would have been cut in 2017 if it wasn't that UFC had a polish card coming up.

I think he improved on the TDD and cardio fronts. His technique also looks better. He basically gets the better of everyone he fights on the feet. He was doing well against Santos until he blew it. It’s really quite an amazing comeback. Granted, LHW is very weak. A rematch with Santos would be interesting.

I think he improved on the TDD and cardio fronts. His technique also looks better. He basically gets the better of everyone he fights on the feet. He was doing well against Santos until he blew it. It’s really quite an amazing comeback. Granted, LHW is very weak. A rematch with Santos would be interesting.
That could very well be the next fight if Jones doesnt come back. Not sure who else would have a claim at a title bid.

It just shows how close in skill everyone at the UFC level is. Guys on the bench get no respect, but no one ever realizes that even the guys on the bench were the best in not just their high school, but county and probably state, made it to not a D2 school but a D1 team, and then dominated their D1 team.

Jan was a bum level fighter. But just a few improvements, and he's a champion. The difference between champion and bum, Michael Jordan and some bench warmer without a wikipedia article, at the UFC level is just like 1%. It's like that in all sports.

Also hs started sitting on his punches a lot more and throwing things with bad intentions.

That could very well be the next fight if Jones doesnt come back. Not sure who else would have a claim at a title bid.
That is basically what he said in the post fight interview. If Jones does not come back and Santos beats Glover, then he wants the Santos fight back.
Good start for a champ. Calling out the GOAT and the guy who knocked his head off.

Possibly Rakic but in reality he needs another win minimum. It’s just that Santos has been out for a while and would probably benefit from a ‘tune up fight’ first.

Also hs started sitting on his punches a lot more and throwing things with bad intentions.

That is basically what he said in the post fight interview. If Jones does not come back and Santos beats Glover, then he wants the Santos fight back.
Good start for a champ. Calling out the GOAT and the guy who knocked his head off.
Yeah he certainly looks to have more confidence.

His losses were mostly about being gunshy, and awkward with TDD and fighting against the cage.

So when there are some tangible things you know you have to take care of, it's probably way easier.

Yeah he did ....and I'm on board with this polish power......God damn. He gave Reyes a foot print tattoo on his ribs - early( f-ing ouch- the immediate welt)and Luke's jaw and Doms nose are having a special podcast on Monday morning .

Jan at one point had lot 4 out of his last 5 in the UFC.. even losing to a journeyman like Pat Cummins (not bashing but he was terrible).

He was super gunshy. At one point he had 23 wins and only 5 TKOs. A bunch of decisions.

Then somehow his TDD when from zero to really really good and also started sitting on his punches and "polish power" was born. He was never a KO artist by any stretch of the imagination and now he slept 3 out of his last 4.
Stuffed Rockhold, Jacaré and Corey like nothing when he was getting easily outgrappled by Gustaffsson.

IDK if it was a confidence thing but this dude improvement at his age is incredible.

What do you guys think?

PS: And no.. I don't think he will be a super dominant champion or anything.. but he would have been cut in 2017 if it wasn't that UFC had a polish card coming up.

Its really funny because when he first signed with the UFC, he switched gyms to a bigger fight camp in Poland, but like you said ended up losing 4 out of his first 5. Then, he moved back to his old gym where he started his MMA career, and has since won 8 out of his last 9, finishing 5 of them, winning 6 bonuses, and eventually becoming a UFC champ. Its a good lesson for young fighters who feel they need to leave their local gym to train at a super gym to develop their career. You should always train at the gym you are most comfortable at.

i for one am happy for him.
i really hope he gets a defense or two

He’s def on th list of guys with late career resurgence and a belt.

Him, Robbie, Bisping all come to mind.

Up there with Robbie Lawler for best ever career comebacks.

i wonder if he got reverse usada'd like bisping and mousasi.

I dont think hesnthat much better. The stars are just aligning in his favour

What do you guys think?

I’ve been a fan of Jan for quite some time , Seeimg him become the champion is really amazing.

Back