Costa, bad cut or adrenaline dump?

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
By mid round one, Paulo was already breathing heavy, yet he has thrown like 4 to 5 strikes total, i bet costa goes 5 rounds non stop in training camp. This is quite normal, but most of the times, it’s due to adrenaline dump, or in these case the cut plus the adrenaline could’ve played a mayor rol... I could see Paulo trying to pace himself up trying to catch a second breath, that’s the only explanation I find for such a moronic game plan.

Just to clarify Izzy is the real deal, as much as I dislike him, he is.

Neither. He didn't trust his normal approach so he chose to be more patient and stay in exactly the range Israel needed to destroy his legs. He said he was going to be more patient in the last couple days, the commentators talked about this ad nauseum during the fight, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks his approach was by accident or due to nerves. He and his camp overthought this fight. Costa should have stuck to what he does best, then work hard and make adjustments for the rematch you may get down the road. Israel was just better and did exactly what he always does.

Fear is the mind killer.

It's similar to high stakes emotionally charged Conor fights that made Eddie circle opposite to what he planned and other people perform out the usual.

I don’t think costa fears anyone but his gas tank.. facing Conor is a different story, guys were terrified of his left hand, so I could see your point valid, but Izzy was known for being a point fighter. I’m sure though Paulo after a few leg kicks said, ok, this guy hits harder that what I thought..

By mid round one, Paulo was already breathing heavy, yet he has thrown like 4 to 5 strikes total, i bet costa goes 5 rounds non stop in training camp. This is quite normal, but most of the times, it’s due to adrenaline dump, or in these case the cut plus the adrenaline could’ve played a mayor rol... I could see Paulo trying to pace himself up trying to catch a second breath, that’s the only explanation I find for such a moronic game plan.

Just to clarify Izzy is the real deal, as much as I dislike him, he is.
Costa had a bad gameplan, I think was the biggest thing. Either that or he froze like a deer in the headlights.

Neither. He didn't trust his normal approach so he chose to be more patient and stay in exactly the range Israel needed to destroy his legs. He said he was going to be more patient in the last couple days, the commentators talked about this ad nauseum during the fight. He and his camp overthought this fight. Costa should have stuck to what he does best, then work hard and make adjustments for the rematch you may get down the road. Israel was just better and did exactly what he always does.

I’m sure and I agree with you, he should’ve done what he does best. Sometimes, the best game plan is to do what you do best, hell most of the times it is. In this case, his camp planned not to rush Izzy cause Izzy would’ve been expecting it, yet they chose Paulo to stay on the outside being a sitting duck for Israel. That was some moronic game plan to implement.

but, I’m referring to Paulo showing sings of gassing out by the end of the first round even though he threw so little

Costa is good at fighting one way and he and/or his team doubted it would work against Izzy. So he went in there pretty directionless. Standing in kicking range was an awful idea and not abandoning that distance or starting to check them once his leg was starting to get destroyed was even worse. He had a better shot going the raging bull route. He probably still would have gotten beat that way also but at least he'd be going out with his guns blazing while he has two healthy legs. He'd have a chance to be the one to land big first.

The way he fought he let Izzy render him useless from afar without ever being in any danger. I think Izzy is just the worst style matchup for Costa in the division. The reach and distance control disparity is too great. As is the gulf in striking accuracy, variety, and strategy.

Neither. He was just getting chewed up and he cuts like 30 pounds and looks like a balloon. He was also fighting a game he couldn't win and was very anxious about it, which will drain the tank faster than what you're comfortable with.

Neither. He was just getting chewed up and he cuts like 30 pounds and looks like a balloon. He was also fighting a game he couldn't win and was very anxious about it, which will drain the tank faster than what you're comfortable with.
Yep anxiety could’ve played a mayor roll too...

Halfway through round 1 he realized just how tricky Izzy is to hit and that his usual bulldozing style wouldn't work. Then you had the leg kicks adding up. His morale just dropped.

Guys, I’m not saying Izzy didn’t dismantle costa, I’m merely taking about costa starting to gas after 2 minutes in the first round

Everyone gets anxious when they realise that their opponent is that much better than them.

not really... do you think Gastélum or Romero didn’t know Izzy was the better striker?

Guys, I’m not saying Izzy didn’t dismantle costa, I’m merely taking about costa starting to gas after 2 minutes in the first round

He never gassed once, he got his legs beat up and ate clean body kicks, he got beat up in every aspect of the fight, even in the mental game.

He was getting picked apart. That's the reason.

Back