Costa and title fights´ performances

LoneStalker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It seems to me that Costa provided one of the worst performances that I can remember of a title challenger in UFC. He spent a whole year talking all sort of sh!t, and fools on Sherdog were swallowing his BS, and during the fight he ended up putting an embarrassing show.
Sure, in front of him he had a good kickboxer, a great counterstriker. But Costa had no gameplan, no power, no heart, no nothing, backed up by an embarrassingly out-of-place coach. During the first round he spent time calling Adesanya to kick his leg, but after three kicks he was moving out of reach. Then he started calling Adesanya to trade leather, just to be put out minutes later.
It was an embarrassing performance for a title challenger, he looked like an amateur from StreetBeefs.
It was not the first time that trashtalking went wrong in UFC, and most probably will not the last. But I can´t remember another performance on this level from a dude who said would be champion.
Absolutely embarrassing.

I don't think it was costa's fault more than it was Izzy's plan. Costa tried to find/close the distance, but the low kicks, jabs, high kicks kept him away. Israel controlled the distance, and completely fuck Costa's plan. If costa can't get close, that is it.

Costa should have tried to take him down, that was his only mistake.

ah come on man, he just got beat by a fighter thats leagues above him, Izzy chopped up his legs and made Costa miss over and over to expend energy until he could get to him up top easier then knocked him down and finished.

Whittaker got TKO’d at around the same time as Costa, so you can’t say it’s the worst.

It seems to me that Costa provided one of the worst performances that I can remember of a title challenger in UFC. .

Bethe Correira springs to mind, as does B.J. Penn quitting on his chair in the 2nd G.S.P.-fight.

Whittaker got TKO’d at around the same time as Costa, so you can’t say it’s the worst.

True. Whittaker was destroyed.
But Whittaker was not a challenger nor he spent a year talking bs as if he was the new destroyer of the worlds.
I´m talking about a fighter that runs his mouth all over the place to have a title shot, and on fight night gets his ass kicked in catastrophic way.

It seems to me that Costa provided one of the worst performances that I can remember of a title challenger in UFC. He spent a whole year talking all sort of sh!t, and fools on Sherdog were swallowing his BS, and during the fight he ended up putting an embarrassing show.
Sure, in front of him he had a good kickboxer, a great counterstriker. But Costa had no gameplan, no power, no heart, no nothing, backed up by an embarrassingly out-of-place coach. During the first round he spent time calling Adesanya to kick his leg, but after three kicks he was moving out of reach. Then he started calling Adesanya to trade leather, just to be put out minutes later.
It was an embarrassing performance for a title challenger, he looked like an amateur from StreetBeefs.
It was not the first time that trashtalking went wrong in UFC, and most probably will not the last. But I can´t remember another performance on this level from a dude who said would be champion.
Absolutely embarrassing.

I think Costas corner were slightly to blame. I think they tried the Romero tactic of getting Israel to try and engage them and have Costa counter him rather than letting Costa just charge forward in his usual style and throw high volume to the body, in fear of him being countered by Izzy. Costa appeared tentative throughout, in the hopes that Israel would engage him and make it a brawl, and when he eventually decided to switch it up and engage Izzy, the damage was already done.

Did Costa even throw his right hand once?

True. Whittaker was destroyed.
But Whittaker was not a challenger nor he spent a year talking bs as if he was the new destroyer of the worlds.
I´m talking about a fighter that runs his mouth all over the place to have a title shot, and on fight night gets his ass kicked in catastrophic way.
So you’re talking about trash talk, not performance. Okay...

any gifs of what actually dropped costa in the end? Looks like he tripped and just turtled up?
I know costa stood no chance regardless, any gifs???

any gifs of what actually dropped costa in the end? Looks like he tripped and just turtled up?
He got hit by the exact same punch Adesanya floored Whittaker with.

He got cracked in the temple in the flurry, it was clear on the slow mo replay.

I think he froze. Izzy as much as dont like him is undoubtely a dangerous individual so its a reason to one be cautious Second the pressure to deliver after all the trash talk and finnaly the surprise of realising you were not prepared for the reality you are facing...

paulo only strength against such a reach disadvantage was to go in fast and deal most damage & hope for the best, he used the wrong plan. i didnt see him winning but thought that there will at least be a good fight, even in the post fight interview, izzy subconsciously said he had a beast infront of him referring to costa, only if costa play to his strength but he didnt

Back