If anybody is going to beat Israel, it's going to be Costa

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's the only one who has a shot at beating Israel. If he comes better prepared, not overlooking Israel, and with a better gameplan, he is still the one with the best chance to beat Israel. He came in way too cocky, and wasn't prepared at all for the leg kicks. It's as if he thought Israel was just going to stand and bang with him. Israel dismantled him tonight, but Costa was and still is the one to beat Izzy.

He was having success with his leg kicks himself, but didn't do it enough. It's as if he let Israel have free reign with the kicks and he was just looking to land with the hands. I don't get when people let other people have success their techniques but don't look to return at all. This isn't boxing, this isn't wrestling, this isn't kickboxing. This is MMA, and you have to do it all.

romero already beat izzy, costa and whittaker.

romero would beat izzy again if they faced eachother again.

Enjoy the salt.

I don't care. I enjoyed the fight. Israel is a hell of a fighter. But there is literally nobody who can beat him. I'm saying Costa has the best chance. Stay a dickriding fan boy though.

Romero is done imo. Before the Izzy fight he was talking about how he couldn't feel the left half of his body or something. Something must have happened during training or something. If you have numbness on half your body, that's not a good thing. The physical specimen we once knew is no more.

Maybe Costa should get a couple more ranked wins to prove it

He has 2 in Romero, and Hall?

And then a title shot lmao what a joke

So you have Vettori, Gastelum, who came pretty damn close to beating him.

Hell, even Anderson and Romero, who were competitive.

But you chose the guy who got completely stomped to be your champion?

I don't care. I enjoyed the fight. Israel is a hell of a fighter. But there is literally nobody who can beat him. I'm saying Costa has the best chance. Stay a dickriding fan boy though.
Not even a fan of Izzy, just laughing at Costa fans who thought the bigger guy has to win because MUSCLES!!! :D

lol no. I like Cannonier’s chances better or I’d even like Hermansson’s chances of catching Izzy in a sub or something over a Costa rematch. Costa appeared to have absolutely nothing for Israel tonight.

He's the only one who has a shot at beating Israel. If he comes better prepared, not overlooking Israel, and with a better gameplan, he is still the one with the best chance to beat Israel. He came in way too cocky, and wasn't prepared at all for the leg kicks. It's as if he thought Israel was just going to stand and bang with him. Israel dismantled him tonight, but Costa was and still is the one to beat Izzy.

He was having success with his leg kicks himself, but didn't do it enough. It's as if he let Israel have free reign with the kicks and he was just looking to land with the hands. I don't get when people let other people have success their techniques but don't look to return at all. This isn't boxing, this isn't wrestling, this isn't kickboxing. This is MMA, and you have to do it all.

Wrong!

Rockhold, if he gets a hold of him (inb4 glass chin, because Yoel and Jan don't have KO power)
Chimaev, if the hypetrain is true
Jones, if they ever decide to fight

These guys have a chance at beating him

Costa looks sloppy from the beginning. Not a better game plan. Maybe arms surgery, so he has a better reach. Maybe a better fight IQ, developed in time and maybe a much better ground game (something like Rockhold, prime Weidman, Jones, Khabib, GSP, DC)
Costa is just not such a big threat. He can look good against guys who want to bang, like Romero and Hall, but against technical strikers he is just not that good.

Same for Cannonier and Whittaker. They have a better chance than Costa, but no ground threat, so Adesanya will beat them easily.

Not even a fan of Izzy, just laughing at Costa fans who thought the bigger guy has to win because MUSCLES!!! :D

Me neither, but same as you.
Like Adesanya said... casuals.
Costa is a good fighter, but not much of a fight IQ.
If Whittaker couldn't do it, people assumed Costa will beat him.
I actually expected a 5 round win for Adesanya, not such an early finish.
I thought Costa would have a better recovery.

Though it wasn't apparent, there is something to it. When Costa landed body kicks and leg kicks, there was significant force behind them. Just because of his sheer force and mass, along with skill, he is the one who challenges Izzy the most physically. His head wasn't into it. He landed two hard leg kicks, then stopped. He just sat there and let Izzy tee off on his legs while he was looking for opportunities to punch. His size and sheer mass is a problem. If only he can implement a decent gameplan.

If Costa was a grappler with gas tank, his weight would cause problems

Wrong!

Rockhold, if he gets a hold of him (inb4 glass chin, because Yoel and Jan don't have KO power)
Chimaev, if the hypetrain is true
Jones, if they ever decide to fight

These guys have a chance at beating him

Costa looks sloppy from the beginning. Not a better game plan. Maybe arms surgery, so he has a better reach. Maybe a better fight IQ, developed in time and maybe a much better ground game (something like Rockhold, prime Weidman, Jones, Khabib, GSP, DC)
Costa is just not such a big threat. He can look good against guys who want to bang, like Romero and Hall, but against technical strikers he is just not that good.

Same for Cannonier and Whittaker. They have a better chance than Costa, but no ground threat, so Adesanya will beat them easily.

Me neither, but same as you.
Like Adesanya said... casuals.
Costa is a good fighter, but not much of a fight IQ.
If Whittaker couldn't do it, people assumed Costa will beat him.
I actually expected a 5 round win for Adesanya, not such an early finish.
I thought Costa would have a better recovery.

Everybody has an off night. This is a clear case of overlooking your opponent because he wasn't prepared for anything Izzy had for him. All the skinny talk, the overconfidence, played against Costa big time. Much like the Brunson fight. You underestimate someone as skilled as Israel, you will pay. Costa is still the one, he just needs better preparation, mental preparation.

Costa TUF personality would beat him

The fact is, Yoel Romero is currently riding a 3-fight LOSING streak.

Israel Adesanya is 1-0 against Yoel Romero.

Paulo Costa is 1-0 against Yoel Romero.

Robert Whittaker is 2-0 against Yoel Romero.

Back