Paulo Costa’s possible gameplans against Israel Adesanya

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I’ve got several points to make about Paulo Costa’s possible gameplans.

Does Costa even gameplan?? He fights the same way every fight, doesn’t make adjustments during the fight, and his solution to losing is to just try harder.

Let’s say he can be coached, for the sake of the argument.

Costa trains with Triple Cringe (Cejudo) and Coach Cringe (Eric), who have put together some amazing gameplans. Their most relatable is the gameplan they made for Dominick Cruz, since Cruz and Izzy use footwork a great deal.

Here’s the possible gameplans Costa could use:

1. Forward pressure, heavy emphasis on leg/body kicks and counter punching(Cejudo’s gameplan against Cruz):
This is their best option. It will add damage over time to Izzy’s legs and body, which will slow him down as well. However, Izzy is good at countering leg kicks with his own kicks.
giphy.gif

2. HEAVY pressure, attacking body and head with punches and kicks (Costa’s usual gameplan):
This could work, possibly giving openings to catch Izzy. However this gameplan is very taxing to Cost’s cardio, as we saw against Romero. He gassed after 2 rounds.
tenor.gif

3. Slow, point-fighting kickboxing decision gameplan:
I don’t recommend this at all. Israel will be able to outpoint Costa is every way if Costa tries to fight slowly and shot for shot. The only reason I could see him using this gameplan is to conserve energy. I highly doubt he’d use this gameplan.

4. Go bananas throwing every strike he has in the first few minutes of the fight:
This could work, but highly risky. Israel probably knows this is what Costa will do, so this probably won’t catch Israel off guard, and then you’re stuck in the cage drained of energy with a kickboxing champion.

Knowing Costa, he’ll probably use Gameplan #2, and it might have decent success, I just worry about his cardio holding up over time.

If Costa is in-fact coachable, they should utilize Gameplan #1. It works to Costa’s pressure style, adds up damage over time, and doesn’t drain his cardio.

I’m not a Costa or Izzy lover or hater, I just wanted to share my thoughts on how Costa reasonably wins this, besides landing a random 1 punch KO.

If Costa wins it will be by heavy pressure in round 1 or early in second.

If not Izzy gets a later finish or decision.

Costa isn't a big finisher, he finishes you off with volume and pressure over time.

Heavy pressure by tying up Izzy against the cage to wear him out/attempt a takedown. Izzy won't allow Costa to get close enough to strike with him for very long via Usain bolts strategy

giphy.gif

Last edited:
One question? How did you came to conclusion that Costa is uncouchable?,

His gameplan is obvious and it's what he always does:

Relentless pressure, moving forward while eating shots, throwing retarded amounts of volume.

He throws a lot of body shots for an MMA fighter. The question of this fight is whether or not he can cut the cage on Izzy and force him into punches, into stand stills, or up against the cage specifically. Or will Izzy just outclass him in footwork and use his counterstriking + evasive ~shoulder roll + arm post to run away after pot shotting Costa.

Back