Don Frye vs. Ken Shamrock is an underrated PRIDE gem

E Undead

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hell of a fight! They actually fucked up each other so badly that they were never the same after this match. And there was a lot of bad blood, and I mean REAL bad blood, not the fake bullshit we call "feuds" nowadays.

It wasn't a barn burner like you might remember, little spurts of intense action here and there. It was the personalities that made is intense... But something about that era...

Even the slower fights were interesting. Given the Pride rules, the ring, the restarts. Quadros was always great with small talk during the low times. Good example is the Saku and Gracie 90 min fight. Lots of low time but the entire fight Quadros, Bas and Smith kept it interesting.

Last edited:
It's a classic. Just not talked about much these day. The build up to the fight got a bit nasty

Frye is a legend. So is Shammy. Two ufc champs fighting in a foreign country to see who’s real and who isn’t.

What was some of the shit talk that made it so nasty? I don't remember at all.

Giving all of the hype I thought it was a bit of a let down. It wasn't a bad fight, but their was a lot of clinching going on. I would call it more of a chess match than a barn burner.

Last edited:
I thought Shamrock should’ve won the decision. But it was close could’ve seen it either way.

I remember it being a classic and thought it was a great fight, although admittedly I only saw it once back in the same year it happened.

It may not be much underrated as it is just not viewed. MMA was not nearly as big in North America, and Pride was not a north American promotion.

So only the old school hardcore fans have saw it, and new fans in North America are not so into Pride era (which is why Fedor does not get the same respect from these new fans,)

That fight was so intense! I was on the edge of my seat watching it back in the day.

Lots of bad blood between Frye & Shamrock, they both came into the fight with murderous intentions & were absolutely juiced to the gills... and on painkillers too which got them through the fight.

The interview with Frye at the end of the fight helps to show how much damage they sustained. Frye's ankles were destroyed & both he & Shamrock had a sharp decline from this moment on.

It'd make a good documentary.

That was one of Shamrock's most enjoyable fights for me. Haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember it to be a pretty back and forth fight with a lot of action.

Didn’t Frye get both of his ankles broke but fought on opiates so it didn’t matter? Lmao

Didn’t Frye get both of his ankles broke but fought on opiates so it didn’t matter? Lmao
No ya goof he got addicted to painkillers after the fight becasue he had broken both ankles and had both achilles torn.

This fight also gave us the line " World's most dangerous man? Behind the wheel of a car maybe"

Yeah, Frye essentially became addicted to painkillers after that fight. It's crazy that a single fight completely destroyed this man's health. Unthinkable nowadays.

No ya goof he got addicted to painkillers after the fight becasue he had broken both ankles and had both achilles torn.

This fight also gave us the line " World's most dangerous man? Behind the wheel of a car maybe"

Pretty sure he was ON them during the fight

Back