Is paulo costa cardio truly not good?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or is his style? Dude is a massive guy and he trowns more strikes on average than max holloway, he was tired on the yoel romero fight by the third round, but so was yomero i really doubt he will go all in in this fight like he usually does since adesanya is a very dangerous counter striker, people gonna be surprised by his resistance

I think it's great given everything you pointed out. Not the best in the division, but compare him to other muscle bound dudes. I'm sure it would be even better without his insane output.

I agree Paulo has good cardio, but I disagree with the point you're making. I think his high output will be his undoing.

It's his style. I got tired just watching his output vs Romero. He pushed Romero while eating bombs in the process.

That's why i know he will beat Izzy. Izzy doesn't hit hard so Costas cardio wont be affected as much

He has good cardio for a guy of his size. He also still has a good output even when he's tiring

I think it's great given everything you pointed out. Not the best in the division, but compare him to other muscle bound dudes. I'm sure it would be even better without his insane output.

I agree Paulo has good cardio, but I disagree with the point you're making. I think his high output will be his undoing.
Can't beat a counter puncher with no output. There's a difference between going crazy and technical aggression.

He got a huge strikes per minutes stat because he tends to finish fast too.
In the later rounds,he will fade

He has the highest sig strikes landed per minute on average in ufc history and against Romero in a fight he was supposedly gassed, threw AND landed his most strikes in the last round

dude just gets super sweaty and breathes heavy and it makes him look more tired than he actually

sweaty costa bless

Can't beat a counter puncher with no output. There's a difference between going crazy and technical aggression.
Definitely and that "technical aggression" works against lesser strikers, hence Costa's undefeated record up until now. Once he fights more refined strikers (like this weekend), Costa will realize he can't get away with that shit against everyone.

Another person who succumbed to the same fate was Sherdog favorite and JBG disciple Robbie Lawler. He had really tough fights against much lesser strikers than Adesanya and he's also always hailed for his "technical aggression".

All that blanket term really means is that you have good timing (for your sloppy shit).

It's alright for his style, but 5 rounds definitely isn't in his favor.

He has good cardio for a guy of his size. He also still has a good output even when he's tiring

I agree.

It is easy to go 5 rounds, just like it's easy to go 5 laps around a track, if you're holding back and pacing yourself.

It's extremely difficult to go 5 rounds, just like it's extremely difficult to go 5 times around the track, if you're running as fast as you can.

Izzy has a long-distance runner's build, which is why he fights at a modest/slow pace, because he doesn't really do much for 5 rounds ... takes breaks, regroups, repositions, etc.

Costa actually has tremendous stamina for the amount of output he gives — especially for the amount of musculature. I agree, most musclebound dudes have shit for air, but Costa not only has incredible stamina, actually — but even when fatigued, he's still throwing down, chasing your ass, trying to knock you TF out. He's really pretty unique if looked at properly.

Because it's 5 rounds, and because of the above, I expect Costa to be a little slower at first. However, he seems to be a natural fighter; meaning, when hit or clipped, there is an "on" button that's switched in him, and he just goes into fight mode.

Izzy is going to be on his back foot more than he's ever been in his life. I don't think he has the firepower to knock Costa out cold. Especially when backing up. Even if he drops Costa, Costa will not let up; in fact, I think it will fire-up Costa even more, making it worse for Izzy.

Remember, Izzy was basically completely fatigued trying to knock out the midget, Gastelum. Izzy looked sharp for 2 rounds only, and then was basically a flimsy noodle for the remainder of the fight. If Izzy is that flimsy by round 3, against Costa, he will get knocked TF out.

He gets tired but if his style is working his opponents will be even more tired than he is.

Thats the thing with guys like costa you either have to ko them or hit them with hard enough shots to where they realize they have to slow down the pace or get koed.

Israel does not have that kind of power thats why many believe this is a tough fight for him however he does have an insane variety of attacks he might be able to catch Costa with.

Great matchup on paper cant wait to watch it play out

I think he also knew he had to keep the pace to keep romero at bay, the last thing you want is Yoel getting too comfortable on the feet. And Romero won't even blink at light touches. And if he ahd managed to get a finish, his stock would have soared

It’s good but no one with that muscle mass will be ready to go hard for 5 rounds.

He's never had a 5 rounder.
That with his style and the occasion will be a massive test itself imo

Dude has a crazy pace, he slowed down vs Yoel but was still throwing heat, dude has way better cardio than one would expect with someone with his physique and style.

I get how you can say his stamina appears good relative to his physique, but for his style to have longevity at the elite level, he needs to have well above average stamina, regardless of what he looks like. He's a pure pressure fighter, after all. He showed against Romero that he can fight at a high pace against a guy offering something back for about 2 rounds and still survive a third, albeit with him not on the front foot or throwing with nearly the same volume.

No, Yoel is.

Atleast yoels supps got tested and we know he is clean.

He has great pace but banks on cornering his opponents and keeping them against the cage. If Izzy knows how to cirlce out and stay on his bike, he will force Costa to chase him and miss, which could drain him by the third or fourth round. Generally I think Adesanyas gameplan will be to make sure he is hard to hit the first two rounds and slowly start pushing. This fight is extremely intriguing when it comes to strategy, cant wait to see how things go.

Back