Should fouls have warnings? Yellow card?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Guy has his fingers out, grabs cage, or hits back of head:

Stop the action, give the guy a warning such as yellow card:
<Deported1>

Continue action. Guy does it again your ass is grass. Take a point.

In other sports you touch a guy’s elbow and the guy shoots free throws or your half the distance to the end zone.

They do have warnings, but they don't stop the action and are often times ineffective. I agree with you, there should be yellow cards that docks some pay, Pride style, so it sends a harsher message, before you start taking away points.

4h0ZaMc.gif

giphy.gif
b0WQR.gif

<Deported1>

Continue action. Guy does it again your ass is grass. Take a point.

In other sports you touch a guy’s elbow and the guy shoots free throws or your half the distance to the end zone.
Sure they shoot a free throw, or get yards. But you don’t remove work they’ve already done from the board. The difficulty with mma is that there’s not a lot a ref can do that doesn’t completely change the fight...see price vs cowboy. Or Struve vs Rothwell. When it happens over and over it gets to a point where there’s almost nothing you can do

All fouls should be a point deduction since that’s the punishment for a foul. I hear that’s too harsh for some reason. God forbid it changes the outcome of a fight. Unfortunately that’s how fouls work sometimes. I don’t understand warnings. It’s dumb. If you think there’s levels of fouls that aren’t bad like fence grabbing then change the punishment of that foul to something like the opposing fighter decides where to start the action after the foul has been called. But as it states now the punishment is a point deduction so there shouldn’t be a warning.

Sure they shoot a free throw, or get yards. But you don’t remove work they’ve already done from the board. The difficulty with mma is that there’s not a lot a ref can do that doesn’t completely change the fight...see price vs cowboy. Or Struve vs Rothwell. When it happens over and over it gets to a point where there’s almost nothing you can do
what do you mean? They absolutely remove the work and take points off the board in baskets not counting or the play being called back. Plenty of games have been decided by fouls being called back or fouls being given. It’s the nature of the game. Get caught and you get penalized. Not warned. It’s silly.

I'm fine with it.

But be prepared to see a lot more situations like the Alpar-Clark stoppage --> instant replay --> wasn't a foul --> restart.

Changes like this are not free - there is a cost. Think it through. Is the cost worth it?

Fouls in a fight shouldnt exist. You can knee someone in the eyes but you cant poke him with finger? Seems stupid

Eye pokes are the worst and totally avoidable.

They should be an automatic point deduction (Warning given with the referee's instructions) for the first offence, another point for 2nd (or DQ if fighter cannot continue and a loss for the offender) and DQ (and a loss for the offender) for a 3rd.

Cage grabbing, low blows are usually heat of the moment - 2 warnings then point deduction for each.

They also need to address Rabbit Punching - only a matter of time before someone is hurt badly or killed.

Fouls in a fight shouldnt exist. You can knee someone in the eyes but you cant poke him with finger? Seems stupid
By your logic you can extend that to groin shots - well i was doing an inside leg kick then swtiched up to a groin shot.

Why not headbutting, biting?

Sure, but fouls too can completely change a fight, for example when a fighter repeatedly grabs the fence to stop takedowns. "Repeatedly" being the operative word here. That's why there are warnings before any point deductions.

I don't know about yellow cards but I think official warnings should be used more often and faster, especially when it comes to eye-poking.

Sure, but fouls too can completely change a fight, for example when a fighter repeatedly grabs the fence to stop takedowns. "Repeatedly" being the operative word here. That's why there are warnings before any point deductions.

I don't know about yellow cards but I think official warnings should be used more often and faster, especially when it comes to eye-poking.
You’re correct. But the sports in a weird spot where fouls have become super common, but we all loathe those moments when someone fakes an eye poke to take 5 right? Unfortunately we don’t use replay, and without stopping a fight consistently like football or basketball we’re not going to have that opportunity. And no one wants to have a fight interrupted like that. They need to adjust the gloves and scoring system so they can properly address fouls

what do you mean? They absolutely remove the work and take points off the board in baskets not counting or the play being called back. Plenty of games have been decided by fouls being called back or fouls being given. It’s the nature of the game. Get caught and you get penalized. Not warned. It’s silly.

Except points aren’t removed from the scoreboard as the play is effectively stopped before the score actually took place. That’s pretty obvious. Have you ever watched a football game?

Eye pokes need to be made automatic point deductions. We never hear about eye injuries in sparring, we never see that same open fist in public workouts, it’s just a crutch that almost every fighter leans on. Slow motion replays don’t always give the full context of moment to moment incidents, but the number of times a fighter whips out his clearly opening fist toward the eyes of his opponent is frustrating. It’s a tit for tat move as well. You poke an eye, your eye gets poked. Ref warns both of you. A harsh treatment of the action will remove the temptation to use it.

As it currently stands, you are allowed one free eye poke and one free groin strike per fight. This is unacceptable. I've noticed they are becoming more and more common recently as well, probably because you get away with them. At the bare minimum they need to introduce a yellow card (10% purse penalty) for a first foul and then a point for the second and then a DQ for the third. No exceptions.

Except points aren’t removed from the scoreboard as the play is effectively stopped before the score actually took place. That’s pretty obvious. Have you ever watched a football game?
that’s only because the nature of the scoring is not one where football starts with points and the quarters ( that’s what they’re called I think) points are awarded by judges. It’s pretty simple. If you don’t like that it’s a deduction I understand. Then advocate for changing the structure. It has nothing to do with points actually being taken off a scoreboard. The outcome could and has cost games. That’s all that matters. It’s equal playing ground. A foul is detrimental. The only argument for why points shouldn’t be deducted is because of the huge implications. As if they don’t have huge implications in any other sport. But you can try to be cute with insulting instead of an actual conversation. Whether I have watched football is insignificant. I know that fouls occur. I know that they can heavily impact the result of the game as to where the best team may not win. I know that if the offense gets called for holding in the end zone it results in a safety and not a warning. That’s worth 2 points, right. Like that foul results in your opponent getting 2 points added to their score. So maybe in your world we don’t deduct a point we just add them and the round could end 10/10?

Back