Fighting in multiple weight classes.

Austinus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While it is fun and interesting to see fighters move around I feel that people on here over value fighting at multiple weights.

For me dominating a weight class for years like Jon Jones,Aldo, Anderson and Khabib is far more impressive that moving around weights.

I see people say Khabib isn't truly great because he hasn't move upto 170. I think this is crazy talk.

Success over multiple weight classes is more impressive imo.

I LOVE Khabib but if he ever wants that #1 P4P spot he has to go to WW.

At the same time nothing wrong with establishing yourself the GOAT of a div. like Gsp ... just don’t expect GOAT status outside of that division. That is reserved for those who go the extra mile.

Khabib's father said that Khabib could win the 170-pound belt! Khabib said he would not climb at 170! Khabib is a coward !

we are already in the era of mma/ufc where we had multiple good champions, so, in order to distinguish yourself its not enough to have many title defenses, shit johnson has like 11, Silva had 10, GSP 9, JBJ 8, Aldo 7 etc.. but you have to do something more and the obvious solution is change the category and win a few fights or capture the belt, then we can put you in the GOAT talks.

but to answer the real hidden question of this thread, no, kabib will never even come close to TOP5 GOAT if he doesnt get like at least 5 more defenses and/or changes the category.

At the same time nothing wrong with establishing yourself the GOAT of a div. like Gsp ... just don’t expect GOAT status outside of that division. That is reserved for those who go the extra mile.
Jones, Aldo, gsp were p4p no 1 without moving a weight class. If khabib beat gaethje, he ll be the clear no 1 p4p fighter in the world after Jones poor performances.

Jones, MM and gsp were considered GOAT without moving a weight class, gsp beating bisping really didn't do much for his legacy, it is his dominance for so many years in welterweight that made him the GOAT.

I prefer Jones' resume over DC's or cejudo's even though DC and cejudo fought in multiple weight division and being champs in multiple weight division.

I think a few wins in two weight classes are more impressive than several wins in one.

I'm more impressed with Cejudo and Nunes for smashing fools at two weights than I am with DJ for being the top dog in one, for example.

If your division is stacked, I’d say you should build a legacy there and then move up for a fight or two before retiring. Because at the end of the day that’s what defines a goat, to become champ and defend your belt time after time. That said, what Cejudo, Amanda, Dc and Conor did is definitely a different kind of awesomeness.

Gsp wouldve been goat even if he never fought at 185

I’m always impressed with guys who have the skill to slide up and down between weight classes, it’s a testament to their skill versus fighters who ability to win is heavily based on physical advantages such as size, strength, or reach. The most impressive are the guys who move between the heavier classes because of the larger weight discrepancies (LW-WW-MW-LHW-HW)

Jones, Aldo, gsp were p4p no 1 without moving a weight class. If khabib beat gaethje, he ll be the clear no 1 p4p fighter in the world after Jones poor performances.

Jones, MM and gsp were considered GOAT without moving a weight class, gsp beating bisping really didn't do much for his legacy, it is his dominance for so many years in welterweight that made him the GOAT.

I prefer Jones' resume over DC's or cejudo's even though DC and cejudo fought in multiple weight division and being champs in multiple weight division.

That is the past. McG, DC, Cejudo and Nunes have raised the bar.

A new standard has been set but having said that I’m not against Jones, Silva, GsP, MM, etc being mentioned in the GOAT conversation but moving forward the criteria is different and Khabib should be judged under that new criteria.

Evolution.

That is the past. McG, DC, Cejudo and Nunes have raised the bar.

A new standard has been set but having said that I’m not against Jones, Silva, GsP, MM, etc being mentioned in the GOAT conversation but moving forward the criteria is different and Khabib should be judged under that new criteria.

Evolution.
not they didnt, prove being none of them are considered among the top 5 of GOAT for a reason ... or even no1 p4p ...

That's open for debate- have no problem either way. Roberto Duran one of the greatest boxers ever as long as he stuck to his class. I wont minimize him as a fighter with other results from another weight......and how can you not give credit to a fighter who has been extremely successful over multi divisions. Khabib not far away from goat list while not having to dip a toe in 170 waters ( just like gsp...even before the smoke-n- mirrors bisping facade)

Defending the belt in a stacked division > two division champ. Unless there's a fighter that successfully defended both belts more than once or twice (bar Nunes because WFW is a dead division), then being the GSP and Jones of the division holds more credibility as the longevity of the fighter is being tested.

Both can be impressive, but simply winning a belt in one weight class and then moving to another and winning a belt is nowhere near impressive as defending the title for an extended period of time in a stacked division. Conor McGregor is a two-division champ, but he's nowhere near the status of the likes of Jon Jones as far as an overall legacy is concerned. What Jon Jones did, or even what Silva or GSP did is way more impressive than just winning a belt, moving up, winning another one, then never defending. Getting that second belt certainly adds to a fighter's legacy, and it is impressive, but it's not more impressive than defending.

Conor's winning belts at more than one weight is impressive. But then again, he never defended. It's superior to defend at more than one weight, compared to just winning and then leaving it behind.

I don't like it when a champion does it because it holds up the belt in one division. Contenders have to weight around forever to get their shot because the champ is off fighting in a different weight class. If the champ wants to do that they should vacate first.

Back