News Blachowicz: I visualize a KO in round 3

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jan Blachowicz: "I visualize a KO in round 3. I never stopped believing I'd fight for the belt"

PRZEMYSLAW OSIAK (interviewer): Your 15th fight in the UFC is ahead of you, where the stake will be the world light heavyweight title (93 kg). Before the clash with Dominick Reyes in Abu Dhabi, do you see from your behavior that this is a much more important duel than any of the previous ones?

JAN BLACHOWICZ: I try to approach this clash like any other. The difference, however, is that recently there has been much greater media coverage and I had to be active in this regard. Also people from my immediate surroundings make me aware of what is really happening. I try not to put additional pressure on my head. Usually, it is only on the next day after the fight that I realize the weight of the victory, for example after winning by knockout. Then it's fun. This time, I would also like to feel everything after the duel, when I am sitting on the plane to Poland with the belt on my hips. I prefer not to get unnecessary pressure to block me. I want to be prepared as best I can, do the job 100%, and at the same time get as much fun as possible from this fight.

You know the stake, but you do not impose any pressure on yourself. This is the best way to approach combat optimally?

We shall see. It has worked so far, so I hope it will continue to. It was always like this - also when I was competing for the KSW championship - that I was trying to go out into the fight, do my job, and enjoy what happened afterwards.

I remember that six years ago, before your debut fight in the UFC with Ilir Latifi, you boldly announced that you were aiming for the maximum goal, that is, a title shot. However, it was hard to believe three and a half years ago after losing to Patrick Cummins in Buffalo, when your record in the most powerful organization in the world was two wins and four defeats.

I never stopped believing that it would work, there was never a moment of doubt. It seems to me that the successful rematch with Jimi Manuwa (in March 2018 in London - editorial note) put me back in the queue for the title. I always believed you just had to find the cause of the error. Find out what went wrong and why. This was what I was concentrating on, I knew I would bounce back in the end. And I was right.

In MMA, losses of strong fighters happen much more often than in boxing. How to deal with a crisis after two or three failures in a row?

You can't stop believing in yourself. Defeats happen, but you need to know why you lose, find out the reason. It is most important to stop making mistakes in preparation, training and fights. You have to find this secret recipe, your own secret. However, everyone has to do it himself, because there is no middle ground. You have to get to know yourself, your body, your own head and draw conclusions. It is not easy, but it can be done.

What helped you the most?

I think self-confidence. But I'm not the kind of motivational guy who talks. You have to believe in your own abilities, be confident, treat your rival with respect and that's it. There is no golden rule, because every person is different. If I watch a movie and it gives me a big kick, someone else can watch it and say it's crap. It seems to me that the most important thing is to get to know myself - what do I need, what helps me, what makes me happy, what gives me a kick? All this later pays off in combat.

Before last year's fight with Luke Rockhold in Las Vegas, you visualized a left-hand knockout in the second round and it all worked out. What move do you have in mind before fighting Reyes?

I have a few, but they all mean a knockout in the third round. Obviously victorious for me.

Knockout with a fist?

Usually yes, although there are different variants. I visualize a knockout in the third round, I dream about it and that's how I see it in my dreams. We'll see how it comes out.

You're both great stand-up fighters, but don't you feel like a more versatile fighter than Reyes?

Looking at his fights, he avoids the ground floor quite panically. He is definitely not aiming for the ground, unless he hits his opponent hard and just needs to finish him off. While I am convinced that the stand-up will be very even and tiny details will play a role in it, I should have quite a visible advantage on the ground. If there is an opportunity to take the fight down, I will definitely take it. Although it will not be an easy task, because Dominick defends himself very well against takedowns, and also stands up efficiently.

Aren't you surprised Reyes is a favorite on betting odds?

I have been an "underdog" more than once, that's nothing new for me. There must be some odds. It doesn't surprise me, after all, Reyes fought Jon Jones and it was a very close match. If I were a bookie, I would probably bet on that too. However, it doesn't matter when the cage is closed. There are just the two of us and anything can happen.

You haven't fought in Abu Dhabi yet. Will you take advantage of the attractions there?

Not completely. It's very hot in Abu Dhabi, so going to the beach won't be for me. I will definitely go here and there, but the most important things will be training and concentration. I have to get up early to adjust to the start of the fight (Sunday morning in the UAE - editor's note). There will not be too much free time, although we will definitely jump out with the team somewhere.

How important is the presence of your fiancée and manager Dorota, who will give birth to your son at the end of the year?

Very important. Dorota got permission from the doctor, there were no contraindications (risks) for her to go to the fight. First, we are together. Dorota is not here for fun, she is working. As a manager, she oversees all matters. It is very necessary because I can put many responsibilities and organizational issues aside. Secondly, Dorota is my fiancee and friend, she supports me in everything. Whenever she can fly with me - and she has been to most of my fights lately - I'm very happy because I feel more confident.

So your son will also be at the world championship fight, although he won't see anything yet.

However, he will probably be affected by emotions. He will feel what it is like.

Have you seen junior in ultrasound?

I saw, he looks nice, although we still have to see our son in 4D. We could see the eyes, head and hands. The willy is there too, so everything is in its place. Fun feeling.

Has the prospect of fatherhood changed anything in your life already?

Everything will really change at birth, I guess. For now, we are slowly getting ready for everything. Then I will feel the 180-degree shift and be very happy.

It has been said that you are facing the most important fight in the history of Polish MMA, although you have to remember that Joanna Jedrzejczyk was wearing the UFC champion's belt for two and a half years. "JJ" motivates you to face this challenge?

I always get words of support from Joanna, before each fight. Same thing from me. We've known each other for a long time, for better and for worse. We support and cheer for each other, and this is also the case now. Joanna calls, sends motivating texts. It's very nice.

As a fan of mountain hiking, do you imagine that you are already reaching the top?

I'm almost there. But you have to be careful not to slide down. You have to be focused until the very end, because you have to take this one final step. You cannot praise the day before sunset (Polish idiom akin to "don't count your chickens before they hatch"). I still have this icing on the cake in the form of a fight.

Source: Przeglad Sportowy
https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/spo...walka-z-dominickiem-reyesem-o-pas-ufc/l4dp53x
Creation date: 23 September 2020 06:00
Translation: me :)

I don't think Jan matches up well with good counter-strikers like Reyes, if he tries KOing Dom I don't see that going well for him lol.

I'm not reading that.

Reyes Rd 2 TKO.

Jan is very much the basic striker, no flash and does everything right with really good power and a decent chin.

Reyes is a fast and unorthodox striker, this fight favors Reyes in that Jan is easier to prepare for.

Would love to see Jan grab that title but seems Reyes will win.

I don't think Jan matches up well with good counter-strikers like Reyes, if he tries KOing Dom I don't see that going well for him lol.
unless he tries to KO Reyes while on the ground! :D

I see it as a Reyes UD where he likely fades again and loses the closing rounds. I don’t think either guy hits hard enough to put the other away, not that either can’t rise to the occasion.

Back