Did GSP miss his chance with Woodley?

Homervanderjaz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Seeing Woodley fall off the way he has makes me think had GSP fought him before Usman he would have had a good shot at actually beating him and further cemented his exceptional legacy.

what’s your thoughts? Did GSP miss a trick here?

He beat a champ at a higher weight division, moving up, and finished the fight (ending his decision streak).

I fail to see how capturing the WW title again would have been more impressive. ESPECIALLY seeing Woodley's decline since, people would have easily discredited his win.

He beat a champ at a higher weight division, moving up, and finished the fight (ending his decision streak).

I fail to see how capturing the WW title again would have been more impressive. ESPECIALLY seeing Woodley's decline since, people would have easily discredited his win.
Really?Bisping?This is like beating Matt Serra or Eddie Alvarez for the title lol
Woodley was seen as a great fighter, not some fluke champ...

Really?Bisping?This is like beating Matt Serra or Eddie Alvarez for the title lol

I think the truth is in the middle. Becoming a 2 divisions champion did more for GSP's legacy in the long run than reclaiming the WW belt would have. But yeah, it definitely looked like he was ducking Woodley at the time.

He missed an easy pay day and win. He would’ve beaten Woodley right after beating Bisping on the same night.

Last edited:
Bisping is a beast! Almost all of his losses are to known PED cheats, I used to dislike Bisping but looking back at his accomplishments, I got all the respect in the world for him. Woodley had already been beaten by Rory, I don't think anyone thought Woodley had anything but a punchers chance against GSP. GSP would have jabbed his way to a victory with Woodley.

Yes, and no. Before Woodley get exposed this bad it definitely wasn't so clear
Still clearly the better option because it's simply a weight class up higher. Plus with Usman / Colby / Dilbert exposing Woodley afterwards, would've diminished GSP beating Woodley with a lot.

Woodley would have KO'd him. There is a reason GSP didn't want to fight him.

I actually love GSP, I think him and Anderson are the tied GOATS, but Woodley was a beast at the time. It wouldn't have been a good matchup for GSP.

GSP mentioned he wanted a new challenge and do something he's never done before. Reclaiming his belt at 170 and then eventually relinquishing it again as his clock ticks down doesn't make much sense that time. He's proven already that he has cleared out the division.

If he beat Woodley and u looked back on it now would it stand out as impressive? Not really. He wouldn’t have gained much from it

GSP is literally one of the greatest of all time. No disrespect to Woodley, but why would GSP even bother?

They aren’t even in the same class.

Lol, this is such bullshit.

Yeah, the circumstances surrounding Bisping getting that belt were fortunate but he was still the winningest fighter in UFC history (at the time), had only been finished 3 times before that having only ever lost to former or future Champions with the exception of Chael and TK.

On top of this Bisping, on paper, is arguably the worst stylistic match up possible for him, cardio machine pressure fighter who picks up the pace the longer the fight goes, is difficult to TD and even more difficult to keep down and is extremely durable.

Especially after 4 years off in a division you've never competed at against an opponent with, on top of all the stylistic problems he presents, also has a substantial size advantage.

Or he could have fought Woodley who presented the same challenge he'd already seen and beaten several times and had habits that would make him very easy for GSP and his team to game plan for and exploit.

Woodley had never really been seen as a "great fighter" as the blueprint was well known for beating him and had been executed to perfection by 2 of GSPs friends and training partners already.

Nothing against Woodley but Bisping has left a greater legacy than he has and was definitely the bigger challenge, he more than likely would have beaten Tyron quite decisively had it been him and not GSP that night but obviously that's nothing but pure speculation on my part.

no, because woodly is a bad stylistic matchup for gsp

Woodley would have KO'd him. There is a reason GSP didn't want to fight him.

I actually love GSP, I think him and Anderson are the tied GOATS, but Woodley was a beast at the time. It wouldn't have been a good matchup for GSP.

If they had fought the night GSP fought Bisping Tyron would have been coming off a draw, and 2 wins by decision since KOing Robbie, lol.

GSP didn't want to fight him because it was pointless and presented no real challenge, he would simply have to follow the same game plan his 2 teammates had already used to easily beat him gaining nothing legacy wise in the process.

Back