Media Gaethje "I'm not great off my back, i'm planning on him not being able to get me there"

I like both guys backstory. They're both similiar than they are different outside the cage.

Both look up to their parents, khabib from the mountains, gaethje from the mines. Small village in khabib vs small town in gaethje. Both been wrestling since they were kids

Last edited:
tenor.gif

He really thinks he gonna be able to avoid the take down, Khabib will have him on his back in under 30 seconds.

Terrible gameplay imo. If he can’t stop the takedowns then what? The whole plan goes out the window. At least if you included scrambles into the gameplan, it wouldn’t sound so horrible.

I mean, do you expect Gaethje to somehow become a BJJ expert in a few months? This doesn’t come as a surprise, Gaethje has nothing for Khabib on the ground, even less than Conor or Poirier. But he has way better wrestling than those, which makes this fight interesting.

I like the self-awareness and humility in understanding his flaws and acknowledging them, but I agree it's not a good look at all. I say this as a Gaethje fan.

It's really not hard to see Khabib taking this fight over after Gaethje has a promising moment or two at most in the early fight at which point the Eagle does his thing.

Last edited:
I mean, do you expect Gaethje to somehow become a BJJ expert in a few months? This doesn’t come as a surprise, Gaethje has nothing for Khabib on the ground, even less than Conor or Poirier. But he has way better wrestling than those, which makes this fight interesting.
Good point. gaethje is always refreshingly honest about his shortcomings. People are overanalyzing it

I dunno man, I think I'd work on:

--specific positioning to avoid the leg entanglement stuff Khabib does

--countering the clinch and against-the-cage grips of Khabib

--work on escapes and stand-ups from your back, at the base of the cage, where Khabib just mauls people

Training just to stop the takedown is stupid imo. Khabib has way too much a variety of effective takedowns to stop for the most part. Plus, he turns a stuffed takedown into :30-:45 seconds of his opponent fighting for their life to not get dragged down which just sucks the wind right out of them.

Well, I hope he's drilling being on his back and getting back to his feet. If he's focusing only on just the sprawl, whizzer, and framing, then in might not be enough. Worst case scenario is that Khabib chains from one TD to the next, push against the fence, and finally gets Justin down. Justin has to be training for the worst case scenario, and that is fighting to get back to his feet. I'm sure he's doing that, but he should be working his grappling overall anyway, not just because defense is important, but because sometimes offensive grappling is necessary to counter, not necessarily to win grappling exchange and get Khabib down, but just enough to separate a bide some time. I really hope Justin is taking his grappling more seriously than just not getting taken down. I would hope that's the case.

Good luck Gaethje. I wouldn't be mad if he won.

Back