Who can Woodley beat in top 15?

FireKidWS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After Woodleys last loss, I made a thread in which I stated we need to factor in the strength of competition he’s faced and that he would do well against the 8-15 ranked fighters.

After looking at the list, however, I’m losing confidence in my statement.

Who would you pick Woodley over in the top 15?

1) Usman
2). Colby
3) Burns
4) Masvidal
5) Edwards
6) Thompson
7) Woodley
8) Maia
9) Luque
10) Chiesa
11) Magny
12) Neal
13) Dos Anjos
14) Ponzi
15) Diaz

Bonus question: How about top 20?

16) Lawler
17) Muhammad
18) Price
19) Li
20) Nelson

After Woodleys last loss, I made a thread in which I stated we need to factor in the strength of competition he’s faced and that he would do well against the 8-15 ranked fighters.

After looking at the list, however, I’m losing confidence in my statement.

Who would you pick Woodley over in the top 15?

1) Usman
2). Colby
3) Burns
4) Masvidal
5) Edwards
6) Thompson
7) Woodley
8) Maia
9) Luque
10) Chiesa
11) Magny
12) Neal
13) Dos Anjos
14) Ponzi
15) Diaz

Bonus question: How about top 20?

16) Lawler
17) Muhammad
18) Price
19) Li
20) Nelson
I’d have confidence in Maia and diaz fights. I think he beats the rank 15-20 guys

I'd favor Woodley over:

4) Masvidal
6) Thompson
8) Maia
9) Luque
12) Neal
13) Dos Anjos
14) Ponzi
15) Diaz

+ Nick Diaz and everyone outside the top 15.

I could see him losing to a lot of those guys now too, but I'd favor him. Can't be fooled by him getting destroyed by 3 guys that would likely destroy everyone on the list below them too.

Edit: Another HUGE factor would be if it was a 3 round fight.

Masdival, WB, Maia, Chiesa, RDA, ponzi, Diaz. Possibly Magny.

All the bonus people

Part of the issue is I think the division got very deep quite quickly.
Part of the issue is in his last 3 fights he's fought the cream of the division that all are superior grapplers with insane cardio.

If Woodley gets another fight give him a striker please.

Thompson, Maia, Diaz I'd favour him over

Woodley has openly stated that he's broke and didn't save any money. That's all he's fighting for anymore. I wouldn't bet on him against anybody at this point. His heart isn't in it anymore. If his rapping or acting careers would've taken off, he probably would've retired from fighting awhile ago.

I would not put money on Woodley to beat anybody in the top 14. Plain and simple. Diaz probably wouldn’t try to take him down so I give him a 50/50 shot at beating number 15.

Part of the issue is in his last 3 fights he's fought the cream of the division that all are superior grapplers with insane cardio.

If Woodley gets another fight give him a striker please.
Agreed. Not sure why he accepted fights vs the 3 most similar guys in the division without some kind of new weapon or gameplan adjustment. He got dominated bell to bell in all 3 fights. But I’m not on the “he’s done” train. I just have lost confidence. Can you blame me?

Magny fights just like these top guys. Smother and stall....so that’s a definite NO GO. But then I’d be scared masvidal turns him into a HL reel, and of course no one wants to fight Neal, and then Thompson...those fights were so close do you risk it? There’s very few I have confidence he can win, because everyone’s good and I don’t know that he’ll bring a individualized gameplan.

If I knew he was gone wrestle I’d be far more willing to pick him.

Woodley can still beat:

4) Masvidal ( without the TD threat Woodley can let his hands go)
6) Thompson
8) Maia
9) Luque
10) Chiesa
11) Magny
12) Neal
13) Dos Anjos
14) Ponzi
15) Diaz
16) Lawler
17) Muhammad
18) Price
19) Li
20) Nelson

And everyone else outside top 20 except for Khamzat

Woodley still has a good chance against anyone who won't hug him against the cage for 15-25 mins.

Back